Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone. I'm from Calgary. Just went to my information session in Red Deer this past week. It made me so very sad that I, as well as the others, are looking at an 8-12 month wait. I want to do this now. I called smart shape & I could get this done in TO pretty quickly but it will cost a fortune. I am so ripped up inside about this whole thing. My knees hurt, my legs, I am hot & sweaty all the time, etc etc...you all know what I am talking about. Not only would it be expensive but then I hear people talking about the honeymoon phase. How after they stop losing, they eat regular amounts & they gain. How can you eat regular amounts once your stomach is small? Do we all of a sudden get our appetites back? I just don't understand how all of a sudden, it doesn't work anymore. I just can't seem to comprehend this phase. I have read so much research including the big gastric sleeve book & somehow it's not sinking into this thick old skull. Can someone help me out? In your experience, going thru all of this, would you pay over 20k to get this done or would you wait a year? During that 1 year wait you would have to do certain things to qualify you for the surgery. I am very broken up about this. I want to feel better sooner than later but wonder if paying all that money will be worth it; if that honeymoon phase, when it's over will mean the weight crawls back on like some fad diet I have already done......

The surgery is a tool and it all comes down to what you do with it. There are plenty of people on here who have succeeded and maintained for years. There are also people who have gained their weight back. I am not at my goal weight but here is my 2 cents from research.

With healthy eating and exercise along with the surgery you can get to your goal weight. Those same habits will have to stay with you the rest of your life. Those that fail or gain their weight back fall off the wagon. They start grazing or making unhealthy choices. They stop exercising. Most of the successes I see watch the scale. They give themselves a 5 pound or so grace and when they get even close they step it up to get in control.

If you have 20k for the surgery and you want it now then do it. Or you can use that year to change your eating habits to high protein/low carb. Join a gym or begin true exercise at home. See what you can lose in a year, you might be surprised. Every pound you lose is a step toward your goal. You can be making progress and learning while you wait.

I know it would be frustrating for me too if I had to wait or make such a potentially expensive choice but you didn't get to this point overnight and surgery will not make it go away overnight. For me I could not afford to pay that kind of price so I would buckle down and lose what I could and start preparing. For me I had my consult January 29, 2015 and my surgery was May 15, 2015. I started high protein/low carb 2 weeks before my consult because I was determined to make a change to my life. I lost from 331 to 299 by May and have now lost to 252 this morning.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide!!

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery 26 months ago. I lost 115 pounds and maintained the weight loss.

Before surgery hunger was constantly gnawing at my bones. While I was eating a meal, I was thinking about what I would eat for my next meal. After surgery my hunger was gone. It was not easy to lose weight when you are not hungry. This is very much different than a diet experience. There was no willpower involved. Not everyone who has a RNY loses appetite but many do. This may not be the case for those that undergo Sleeve.

By consuming more food you can stretch you stomach and thereby eat more and regain the weight back.

I asked my nutritionist why some people lose weight after surgery only to gain most of it back afterwards. She said grazing which I interpret as another way of saying snacking.

I do graze but I have not gained weight. I think the secret is what you graze on. I graze on Protein and fats. Fats take away hunger. So essentially I am never hungry. I strictly stay away from all processed sugars. I satisfy my sweet tooth with artificial sweeteners (such as Splenda, sugar alcohol), non-nutritive natural sweeteners (such as stevia), natural sugars (found in fruits and milk). At 26 months out, I have a cup of coffee each morning with a large scoop of whip cream. I make the whip cream myself using Splenda so it has no sugar. I have around 3 Adkin's treats a day. I consume whole milk, real butter and real non-lean meat. I was diabetic before surgery. That went away right after surgery. I periodically check my blood sugar levels and they are normal. The weight is off and all my prior medical conditions are in remission: high blood pressure, diabetes, GERD, sleep apnea, frequent urination.

I think why some people gain the weight after RNY is that they are confused. After surgery you body (stomach) can no longer process fats and sugars. If you take too much it causes dumping. But as the months go by your body adapts and your intestines change and begin to take up the role of the stomach and start to absorb fats and sugars. There are 2 phases to weight loss surgery. These are the losing phase and the maintenance phase. The same rules do not apply for the two different phases.

I personally wouldn't pay $20K for the operation because I do not have that amount of disposable income. The 12 months would better be spent by preparation. Attend Bariatric Surgery Support Group meetings. Do exercises. Walking each day is very important. Cut out all carbonated beverages and caffeine. Prepare yourself for this important step in your life.

THANK YOU shringpeach & James for taking the time to give me your answers. Thank you. It is excellent information. I had asked at the information session if we could still get the surgery if we were closer to the 35. The nurse said she would wait & NOT go on a diet yet. I had heard the same from my doc that if you lose the weight they would NOT do surgery, as it has happened to many of her patients. I don't think this is fair because I have lost the weight only to put it back on once I went off, with more added. Just like all the yo yo dieters do. So this is perplexing. I am so scared of going on a diet again without a good tool, which is how I look at the sleeve. I look at the sleeve as being able to resist the hunger in helping me lose weight both during & after I have lost the weight. I don't understand why they would disqualify you if you don't meet their qualifications at time of surgery but they will....so see the dilemma? I want to get going now but am afraid I will ruin my chances to be able to get the sleeve....but as I write this I am thinking maybe I am looking ,at this all wrong. One way or another it is up to me to stop the yo-yoing & having a sleeve is not what will help me....it's what I eat & my exercise. But on the other hand, having to eat very small portions for so long with the sleeve helping me so that I can't possibly eat larger portions may do the trick. May TEACH me to be able to eat smaller portions. Does any of his make sense or am I tricking myself & really a, not getting it? Guess I am going to have to think this one out....again, thank you both for your advice. It is truly appreciated & has given me more to think about..& as for having 20k lying around, I am not one of those people. It would be a few years over which I would be paying that back. Best of luck to you both on your day-to-day fight with this crazy thing, & stay healthy & happy

Edited by More than this

Hi and welcome!

i had a similiar experience when I found out I had to go through a six month supervised duet before I would be considered for bypass surgery. The reality is it took 9 months to the day. When I first heard this, I was devastated. I had just been diagnosed with stage 3 kidney disease on top of type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and severe Gerd. I felt like had one foot on a banana peel and one foot in the grave.

After going through the process I am so very glad that I did. First it allowed me the time to change. I worked on resolving some bad eating habits. I would choose 1 or two to work on each month. I focused on paying attention to my eating behaviors. If you are a soda drinker, caffeine drinker, smoker, these are things that need to stop before surgery. It takes time to make that happen. I learned to eat much slower, not get distracted while eating, eating slowly, chewing my food, drinking 64 oz. of Water, etc.

In terms of weight gain after bypass. The reality is your new stomach does not stretch. There are many articles about this topic that you can research. What happens is people choose to not follow the rules and when your hunger comes back and it will, they eat the wrong foods, drink with their meals, eat and drink sugary foods. You can eat around your surgery by grazing.

Your new stomach is designed to move the small amount of food through your system. If you drink it will wash the food out if your pouch and you will be hungry again in a very short amount of time.

Grazing means you are eating through the day. Most people who have weight loss surgery and succeed eat a high Protein low carb diet. They focus on good carbs like vegetables and fruit. They eat 3 meals a day and may have a Protein focused snack here and there or they eat 5 small meals a day.

The most important thing is that you don't revert back to drinking sugary drinks and load up on carbs. These items make you more hungry and it becomes a vicious cycle. You end up eating more often and eating the wrong foods.

Your new tummy is a tool that will assist you in weight loss and remaining healthy. If you abuse it, you will not be successful. Having weight loss surgery and being successful at it requires a lot of hard work.

Hopefully this gives you a bit more information. I would NOT spend that money, I would go through the process that will set you up for success and ensure you are ready for all the changes required.

Good luck to you!

@@More than this

I am in London, Ontario. I opted for the lap-band and went with Smartshape - Dr. Coburn - and it has been a FANTASTIC experience. The best choice I have ever made for myself. They are so professional and the follow-up is amazing!

I cannot recommend SWLC more enthusiastically. I was banded December 18th, 2014 (7 months ago) and received financing through Crelogix. Crelogix offer financing for elective surgeries. It was easy and deeply respectful - a very positive experience. YES indeed, WLS was expensive ($16K for the band), but the investment in my health was absolutely worth it.

Did you know you can claim your surgery and get money back at tax time? My accountant informed me of that. Sure enough this year I got $3000 back from the CRA on my taxes, so to me it took three grand off the price tag.

Like you, I was torn up about waiting. And what if it the surgery didn't work??

I'm since down 53 pounds, my hot flashes are gone, my eye twitch is gone, my knees are better, my herniated L4 disc has resolved. I have started exercise, and I am the lightest I've been in a decade. I've gone from a size 22 to a size 16. I feel gorgeous, even though I have another 68 pounds to go to my goal weight!

Whatever WLS method you choose, it will be a TOOL only. You will need to learn how to work with your band/sleeve/other and do so diligently. I found investing all that money was a great motivator. No way I'm spending $16K on something i'm not going to use!

The cost is considerable. However I am eating so little now (one Protein shake a two small meals a day) that the savings on groceries will pay for my surgery within a couple of years. Also I've given up a $50 a week wine habit.

Bottom line - the investment I made through Crelogix for my weight loss surgery has financed a longer, more beautiful life, and more time spent with my gorgeous daughter and husband.

Totally worth it.

Thank you, DJMohr. I do eat slowly & I do drink a lot of Water. Mind you it's flavoured with crystal lite. My issues are grazing & meds. I graze on carbs...millennium mix from nut mans. I am on a lot of antidepressants, & hormones for menopause. These all add to my weight gain. On blood pressure meds too now. I would love to get off of these!! That's why I was thinking the sooner than later might be best for me & why I am even considering paying what is a fortune to me. Getting off these meds would help immensely. That & the grazing of course....

Wow! I am blown away by so many caring people on this site. Thank you professor! That's another thing I was thinking too, that since I had spent so much it would be a motivator. That & getting off the meds that add to my weight would really help my mindset.

Yes I know about getting money back thru revenue canada. Just 2 years ago I had to purchase hearing aids, 8500. I claimed those & received money back. Costs for me would be 18,500 for the sleeve, airfare (which costs so much within Canada, another 1,500 at least for a nurse, & hotel for a week close to the hospital. So as you can see, all of the above, not including the provincial tax, would add up to a hefty sum.

Dr Orech would be doing the surgery, if I did this. I have failed so many times before. Taken the weight off, thru Dr. Bernstein, Dr Lefebre, both low carb high Protein diets but never been able to hit the maintenance phases as I never got to goal weight. I am terrified of spending so much money & failing again but also terrified of gaining more weight. I know I would do better without all the meds, weight-wise also, as it's a catch 22 with those.

You all are such amazing amazing people to care so much about a stranger! God bless you all!!

@@More than this Yes, so much of what you say, dear soul, sounds familiar!

I too have failed many times before. Atkins was my diet of choice, and in the induction phase I sailed through, losing 30 pounds... only as soon as I added a single carb back in, wham! The weight packed back on, PLUS an additional 20 pounds, and it was impossible to maintain.

A couple of years before my weight loss surgery, my (wonderful) GP doc informed me that if my BMI was over ____ (not sure of the #, maybe 44?) in Canada, I would qualify for gastric bypass. My problem? I wasn't morbidly obese. I "only" obese at 259 pounds, and my BMI was "only" 41.

Ironically, my doctor told me I would have to GAIN weight in order to qualify for surgery covered under Canada's health plan. Wha.....??!

Wow yes, that is indeed a hefty sum, with the surgery plus the expense of a nurse/hotel, etc. At this point you have to have a good hard look at yourself and ask whether you are worth the investment (of course you are), and whether this is feasible. What are the consequences of NOT doing the surgery? Other than the $, what's standing in your way?

Rooting for you over here! !!

You would think with all the new inventions out there, they should be able to find a cure for obesity, cancer, etc.. For Petes sake they can make invisibility capes for fighter jets. They can do the beam me up Scottie thing with a photon. How far has the voyager gone? It's out of our universe now, if I remember correctly. But the diet industry is so very lucrative. And they add to it by adding more & more things to make us fatter through better & improved foods that taste so much better. Have you ever watched a cooking channel? They use so much butter & fat that you have to wonder why most of them aren't obese. I don't know what the answer, is other than I am so sick of this fight which has always ended up in failure for me as well as so many others. So do I try again & risk the chance of failure, AGAIN & possibly gaining it all back & more once again? It's pretty scary. Add the cost, be it out of my pocket or the provinces, & that's another scary issue. Perhaps we should all get attachments to our vacu flows & learn how to liposuction? I am so confused. Professor, I hope you make it! I hope you are one of the winners & beat this thing.

@@More than this- Thanks for your words.

I've failed at every diet Ive ever tried. The magic of the lap-band is that it turns me OFF the very foods that caused my obesity. My last resort was wight loss surgery. And it was the best decision EVER.

Breads, rice, Pasta and wine are now off the menu. White foods (sugar, flour) are gone. Fresh veggies and Proteins is 100% of my diet, and I feel terrific.

The band has taught me that it's a tool only. Its been up to me to make significant life changes, ones that I could never had made without the help of WLS. Now that I have this constant sense of satiety, I'm no longer obsessed or distracted by food. I've started exercising. I feel free to live a better life.

FINALLY.

I went through the Red Deer Program and yes it was a long wait. I found the program to be excellant, they taught me re-think about the foods that was eating. All the nurses were great and had helpful insite to my change in life.

I had the sleeve done April 9th and as of today Post op I am down 79 lbs. Yes it has been a challenge but I want my life back. I went up large stairway yesterday without being out of breath yesterday.

Good luck, its worth the wait.

On 09/27/2015 at 4:18 AM ,stobrien said:

I went through the Red Deer Program and yes it was a long wait. I found the program to be excellant, they taught me re-think about the foods that was eating. All the nurses were great and had helpful insite to my change in life.

I had the sleeve done April 9th and as of today Post op I am down 79 lbs. Yes it has been a challenge but I want my life back. I went up large stairway yesterday without being out of breath yesterday.

Good luck, its worth the wait.

@Ms Gamgee, maybe you should re-activate this and see if there. is renewed interest for your Alberta cohorts? God Bless. 👊