Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 yrs 8 Mos Post Op - Failed Again Round 2

I had the lap band July 2010 lost only 16 pounds, Lap band was removed Oct 2012. Had the sleeve done Nov 2012, lost 24 lbs only, weight is currently 228. I now have an appointment with a new surgeon to consider revision. I don't know which procedure he will recommend. I am still a diabetic with hypothyroidism. Frustrated, I think I made the wrong decision two times. Was it the surgeon that did both of my surgeries? Is it me? Am I destined not to loose weight? Thanks for your support.

I am sorry that so far your results have been so much less than you hoped. I think you might need a better support team. Maybe you should try to find a good endocrinologist who can help you with your hypothyroidism. It sounds like that might be your biggest hindrance to losing weight. I don't know a lot about it, but you need someone who is better at diagnosing and treating this condition than the average primary care doc. If you haven't already, you should also find a good nutritionist who has a lot of experience working with WLS patients. Good luck.

Wow, I was so sad reading this post. But please don't give up. I don't see you as failing as much as I see you trying...and most of us here know, that although this surgery isn't perfect, it is our best shot at getting healthy again. So I admire you for coming back here and trying to solve your own personal mystery. It sounds to me like you need some expert advice. Perhaps by going on to the forum about complications might help you find the right person. Good luck to you.

I do have an endocrinologist that treats me and has run special tests on me, also, I have a nutritionist that has been working with me since 2011. My issue has never been that I eat alot, which is the weird part. Hopefully, I will get this mystery resolved one day. Thank you for your support and your post.

I am sorry that so far your results have been so much less than you hoped. I think you might need a better support team. Maybe you should try to find a good endocrinologist who can help you with your hypothyroidism. It sounds like that might be your biggest hindrance to losing weight. I don't know a lot about it, but you need someone who is better at diagnosing and treating this condition than the average primary care doc. If you haven't already, you should also find a good nutritionist who has a lot of experience working with WLS patients. Good luck.

Edited by Soli3l

Thank you for your post, I have not lost hope...I finally was able to find the complication forum. I did research various forums to see if others have gone through this and what options they have tried.

Wow, I was so sad reading this post. But please don't give up. I don't see you as failing as much as I see you trying...and most of us here know, that although this surgery isn't perfect, it is our best shot at getting healthy again. So I admire you for coming back here and trying to solve your own personal mystery. It sounds to me like you need some expert advice. Perhaps by going on to the forum about complications might help you find the right person. Good luck to you.

Edited by Soli3l

I am moving this topic to VSG Complications, I was able to find it, thank you.

I don't know what is causing your lack of weight loss. Not even close to having enough information to comment on that.

But FYI, not losing weight after WLS is not a "complication." A complication (as the term's used around here) is something physical that goes wrong during or following surgery that is sometimes (not always) life-threatening and requires further surgical or physical intervention and often more time spent in the hospital or another medical facility. This includes leaks, strictures, damage to other body organs during surgery, organ failures, infection, etc.

So any "complications" threads here won't address your situation, as I understand it.

IDK either, but I will be getting checked to see what can be done and see if I can get an answer. My concern is that being the same surgeon performed both surgeries, maybe something was not done correctly. Thank you for your feedback :)

I don't know what is causing your lack of weight loss. Not even close to having enough information to comment on that.

But FYI, not losing weight after WLS is not a "complication." A complication (as the term's used around here) is something physical that goes wrong during or following surgery that is sometimes (not always) life-threatening and requires further surgical or physical intervention and often more time spent in the hospital or another medical facility. This includes leaks, strictures, damage to other body organs during surgery, organ failures, infection, etc.

So any "complications" threads here won't address your situation, as I understand it.

I just wanted to offer my support and wish you the best of luck!

IDK either, but I will be getting checked to see what can be done and see if I can get an answer. My concern is that being the same surgeon performed both surgeries, maybe something was not done correctly. Thank you for your feedback :)

Maybe it's time to see a new endocrinologist and a different surgeon. Fresh eyes may be helpful.

First of all, I am sorry you are having this problem.

Even after losing 140 pounds and making it to a healthy weight, I still have hypothyroidism. In fact, its just as bad as before surgery and I still take the same medication at the same dose. Surgery does nothing to help thyroid problems, unlike diabetes and hypertension.

Although I’m still in my honeymoon phase (9 months post op), I haven’t been one of the lucky ones that can eat anything they want and still lose weight. Nor am I one of those patients that are full after three bites. I realized this after 6 months and decided to put more of a rigid eating structure in place. Fortunately, I’ve learned that your rate of success is not determined by the size of your sleeve or even choice of procedure. The quantity of food you eat is not near as important as the actual food choice. When I learned this, it finally became clear to me why I had lost more weight than others in my clinic support group that were boasting extreme restriction.

My strategy now is to focus on food that will never cause re-gain despite quantity (green leafy vegetables). I've gained much insight about how to be successful from Dr. Matthew Weiner, a reputable bariatric surgeon that has many YouTube videos that are extremely helpful.

Bariatric Surgery Revisions-Do they help or not? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiWd9stWnu0

**How to prevent your stomach from stretching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_aahPETzH0

How to lower your set point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M1OUvHM_D4

Preventing Weight Regain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy31fEgrrZA

**this video was an eye opener for me

Edited by WL WARRIOR

Here are some points made by Dr. Weiner in his revision video:

1. Conversion from sleeve to bypass: only 10-25 pound weight loss, usually reserved for patients with severe acid reflex

2. Gastric Band over sleeve is experimental

3. Skilled surgeons can convert sleeve to duodenal switch, if you choose this route please research the surgeon carefully and make sure he has performed this kind of revision successfully for a large number of patients

4. Some surgeons can switch from sleeve to SADI, but is not done often in US yet (refer to video for more details)

I have an appt with a new surgeon on Monday whom specializes in diabetic and thyroid patients, little did I know that my endocrinologist works with this surgeon. But this surgeon was recommended by a friend whom had a sleeve with my same health conditions.

Maybe it's time to see a new endocrinologist and a different surgeon. Fresh eyes may be helpful.

Edited by Soli3l

Well said, @WLWarrior and congrats to you on your honking weight loss! :)

Yes, it ultimately comes down to the new lifestyle we build after WLS and the choices we make.

Right now, I'm happy to be finding my way during early maintenance. Continuing to plan my meals and track all my food / drink intake is part of my new lifestyle that works very well for me.

Thus far, I'm fortunate to be able to eat some sugar, alcohol, Pasta, and bread. I don't eat them every day, and so far they haven't turned into trigger foods. But if they were to start causing me problems, I hope I'd have the fortitude to hold myself accountable and avoid them altogether.

I no longer wish to choose foods and drink only on the basis of its temporary taste appeal. I want to eat and drink MOSTLY those things that nourish my body. I had this surgery to become healthier and stronger and to improve my life.

Those here who are further out post-op than me say maintenance requirements can continue to change, so I'm not blind to the fact that our WLS challenges will continue for the rest of our lives. I know that I will probably always need to adapt what I'm doing to remain healthy.

For now, I say, "Bring it on!"

Wow...thank you so much for your insight, I am aware that WLS does not do anything for thyroid problems, I am diabetic and the surgery didn't help that either. However, I never thought about this way, but your soo right..."I’ve learned that your rate of success is not determined by the size of your sleeve or even choice of procedure. The quantity of food you eat is not near as important as the actual food choice. " I will also look at the videos you posted they sound great.

First of all, I am sorry you are having this problem.

Even after losing 140 pounds and making it to a healthy weight, I still have hypothyroidism. In fact, its just as bad as before surgery and I still take the same medication at the same dose. Surgery does nothing to help thyroid problems, unlike diabetes and hypertension.

Although I’m still in my honeymoon phase (9 months post op), I haven’t been one of the lucky ones that can eat anything they want and still lose weight. Nor am I one of those patients that are full after three bites. I realized this after 6 months and decided to put more of a rigid eating structure in place. Fortunately, I’ve learned that your rate of success is not determined by the size of your sleeve or even choice of procedure. The quantity of food you eat is not near as important as the actual food choice. When I learned this, it finally became clear to me why I had lost more weight than others in my clinic support group that were boasting extreme restriction.

My strategy now is to focus on food that will never cause re-gain despite quantity (green leafy vegetables). I've gained much insight about how to be successful from Dr. Matthew Weiner, a reputable bariatric surgeon that has many YouTube videos that are extremely helpful.

Bariatric Surgery Revisions-Do they help or not? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiWd9stWnu0

**How to prevent your stomach from stretching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_aahPETzH0

How to lower your set point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M1OUvHM_D4

Preventing Weight Regain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy31fEgrrZA

**this video was an eye opener for me