Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New profile, just getting started! Any advice?

Hi :) I just wanted to introduce myself. I just created my profile and I must say this comunity is sooo great!!

I have my first appointment with the surgeon in a couple of weeks! I am excited, confused, happy and freaking out at the same time. I'm not decided 100%, but I just know that I need to loose more than 80 pounds and I can't seem to think about anything else lately. I just hope that by reading your stories I get the motivation I need to go through what all of you have and are going though right now. It feels good knowing I am not alone, even if I have very little support from my family and friends regarding the WLS.

I just bought myself the Big Book o Gastric Sleeve, and I am reading everything I can from the forums but if you guys have any advice for a newbie I will appreciate every single word of wisdom!

Do lots of research and write down all questions and concerns to discuss with them.

Hello and welcome! You've definitely found the right place for help and support. Good luck as you progress through your journey!

My best piece of advice, research research research. Read the forum, watch Youtube videos of WLS patients.

Hi Lucia, and welcome aboard. I too was scared/excited to death! at the though of WLS. It helped me a LOT to just lurk here at BP. I eventually saw that every one of us has the same doubts, fears and questions.

Feel free to post your questions, or PM me. We love to help get you off to a good start on your "adventure" (I don't like the word "journey", so I use "adventure" I'm taking it back!!!!) :-P

And just to toot my own horn, I've got a Youtube channel that I've been updating with many of the most frequently asked questions about WLS.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaOsuR2p6f49ptPSPoNav1Q

Hi :) I just wanted to introduce myself. I just created my profile and I must say this comunity is sooo great!!

I have my first appointment with the surgeon in a couple of weeks! I am excited, confused, happy and freaking out at the same time. I'm not decided 100%, but I just know that I need to loose more than 80 pounds and I can't seem to think about anything else lately. I just hope that by reading your stories I get the motivation I need to go through what all of you have and are going though right now. It feels good knowing I am not alone, even if I have very little support from my family and friends regarding the WLS.

I just bought myself the Big Book o Gastric Sleeve, and I am reading everything I can from the forums but if you guys have any advice for a newbie I will appreciate every single word of wisdom!

Once you get the surgery, in the first year to 18 months, take full advantage of the good restriction and lack of appetite to cement healthy eating habits to take you through the rest of your life when the sleeve's effectiveness "wears off" (for lack of a better term).

Get started now, no time like the present. Begin switching to high protein/low carb eating. This will be your eating habits after surgery so it will be less of a change. The pounds you lose now will get you closer to your goal for after surgery. No food funerals, that is pounds you have to lose again.

Research, research, research. Educate yourself on the procedures and what you want. Write down all of your questions so you can ask everything at your visit.

Practice eating slower, drop carbonated drinks now or wean yourself off. Again less of a shock later is you do it now.

Good luck!!

Thank you so much@@joatsaint!! I wil definetly watch your videos! Love the frankensleeve plush! I will call this process and "adventure" from now on ;-)

I didn't expect my post answered so quickly, thank you guys! @Babbs@The Candidate @@samelton68 @@ShrinkingPeach I'm reading and researching so much I might be obsessed :P​ you are all very inspiring I'm keeping notes!