Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just recently sleeved and I'm starting to research on what happens about a year later and how to maintain weight loss. I've heard that basically it's very hard to maintain weigh loss. I'm aware that weight will always be a struggle but the comments I've seen is that it's almost like our stomaches almost go back to normal. Like we have this open window of time to lose weight after that it closes completely and people are able to eat much more food. But then I read that other people can eat more than they did right after surgery but not nearly as much prior to surgery. I'm starting to think that those who really struggle with maintenance and are able to eat much more started to fall back into bad habits and instead of taking responsibility for it blame it on the sleeve. Sorry for the long post! Any thoughts?

Yup. That's about it in a nutshell :)

Yes. That is pretty much the reason.

That is why it's of utmost importance the first year to 18 months for people to take advantage of the reduced hunger and good restriction to cement healthy eating habits so it can carry you through for the rest of your life when the sleeve's effectiveness "wears off" (for lack of a better term).

Great question!! I have been worried about the same thing. I don't want to go through all of this to end where I started.

Great question!! I have been worried about the same thing. I don't want to go through all of this to end where I started.

And you are in total control of not letting that happen.

@@jennjarrid

You're welcome! Did that make sense?

Perfect sense!

And if you already understand that concept, you're going to do just fine ;)

@@Babbs

I'm trying to prepare my mind. I've done great on the pre-op diet. Several times I have walked away while others were enjoying every kind of food under the sun. I'm sure struggles will come. I'm learning a lot from the vets up here and I plan to implement what I learn. ????

Yes. That is pretty much the reason.

That is why it's of utmost importance the first year to 18 months for people to take advantage of the reduced hunger and good restriction to cement healthy eating habits so it can carry you through for the rest of your life when the sleeve's effectiveness "wears off" (for lack of a better term).

Textbook answer......Newbies, pay close attention.....these are words to live by. -_-

@@tcon

Being prepared is great! Knowledge is power in this case for sure. As long as you understand that although the benefits of WLS are so great, it's really such a small part. Just a tool to help hopefully change the unhealthy mindset we've all had with food. That's most of the battle ;)

Thanks @@Recycled! I only know that because I learned from awesome veterans like you ;)

I'm 2.5 years out & I can tell you that in my case, I stopped losing weight at 6 months, on the dot. I only lost about 60% of my excess weight. And I have struggled to keep it off. Over the winter, I gained some back due to meds I was on & absolutely nothing will budge it. I consistently eat no more than 1000 cal/day. I have NOT returned to old habits. And FTR, I cannot stomach anything. I literally cannot consume grains (rice, quinoa, oatmeal, cereals, all pastas, bread), most veggies (sometimes baked potato, sometimes a few bites of iceberg lettuce but no other types of lettuce for some reason, usually cucumbers, usually Beans are ok), most fruits give me a stomachache, and generally chicken & pork kill me, too. I go to dance class 4-6 days/week, & I jog 3x/week.

It's not always "old habits" but from what I've seen in my support group, the losing stops & the maintenance is hard. For nearly everyone. The only people not struggling with maintenance are the RNY patients.