Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

struggling with liquid diet (August 5th surgery)

Hi All

I'll be having my surgery on August 5th (the day after my 29th birthday) and I'm on day 1 of my liquid diet.

This. Is. Not. Easy.

These Protein things are not my cup of tea. I've got GNC Lean 25 in chocolate Peanut Butter and Cookies & cream. I'm finding them to be too sweet, too syrupy in texture and just...not what I like. Can anyone suggest a Protein that is maybe not a "shake" or a "smoothie"?

THANK YOU!

I live on slim fast high protein nice and cold.

I'm on Day 5 of 2-week pre-op liquid diet with my RNY surgery scheduled for August 7th. The nutritionist (Brenda) at Kaiser Permanente Sunnyside in Portland, Oregon recommended 4 juice-boxes of Boost Original a day so that's what I went with. Went to a Kaiser hospital's cafeteria and bought 4 cases of the stuff which should last me 1 month (2 cases chocolate, 1 case strawberry, 1 case vanilla).

The sweetness and aftertaste is hard when you're feeling like not having "desert." For me Decaf starbucks house blend keurig cups made black kill the taste well. I also make one cup in the evening of broth using 2 Wyler's beef bouillon cubes dissolved in a cup of hot Water. This is a 1,800 mg of salt but no calories or fat and I'm not sure my nutritionist would sign off on it. But it is helping me. As I get closer to the surgery I'll try and stop. I've had no solid food at all (hey that's the idea) and kept to 1,000 calories a day. My weight is down everyday a pound or 2 (or so it seems).

I was told after day 3 things get easier because you're in ketosis but I don't know. Cravings are there. Gotta stay strong. Best to everyone!

Justin

Today is my anniversay sure would have loved to ho out to eat ..

But just think how good you are going to look and feel for that next anniversary! You can do it.

One thing I do with my Premier vanilla Protein drink is I add 4 small fresh strawberries to it and whip it up in by bullet blender. It makes it thicker and frothy and more like a real shake.

Happy anniversary mone was on Sunday we went to see a movie instead but you can get thru it if you have a skinny pic of you look at it everyday to remind yourself why we are doing this in the first place ..

You guys are lucky I am on day 2 surgery August 4th and I cannot choose my drinks cannot have broth only SF Jello SF popsicles and SF carnation instant Breakfast ...talk about suffering lol.. But It will all be worth it ..Just remember we are excited to meet the new us!!

my surgery us August 4th and I start my pre op diet for two day which is the 2 and 3 and I can have slim fast , no sugar Popsicles flavor Water sugar free jello and broth. But my dietician told me to by flavor Soup and drink the broth from that because it might be better..I'm training my mind now and I pray I be a success before and after

Edited by MoniqueMcCoy

Try whatever brand vanilla Protein and use that as your "base." Add fruit and almond milk or fruit juice and blend. Here are a few of my faves:

banana walnut- Protein powder, frozen banana, almond milk, walnuts and one stevia packet- optional.

Peanut butter/banana- Protein Powder, frozen banana, PB2 powder, almond milk, and one stevia packet-optional.

Tropical fruity: Protein powder, frozen mango, frozen pineapple, frozen Strawberries, orange or pineapple juice. *One stevia packet if the fruit is not sweet.*

We can't have fruits or juices or milk on the clear liquid diet.
I like premier Protein shake . 11 oz with 30 grams of protein

You guys are lucky I am on day 2 surgery August 4th and I cannot choose my drinks cannot have broth only SF Jello SF popsicles and SF carnation instant breakfast ...talk about suffering lol.. But It will all be worth it ..Just remember we are excited to meet the new us!!

my surgery us August 4th and I start my pre op diet for two day which is the 2 and 3 and I can have slim fast , no sugar Popsicles flavor Water sugar free Jello and broth. But my dietician told me to buy flavor Soup and drink the broth from that because it might be better..I'm training my mind now and I pray I be a success before and after

Day 3 of my pre-op diet and I haven't weighed yet, but my slacks for work were definitely feeling looser this morning. I was able to button the second button and the waist band didn't fold over. Hallelujah...progress!!! Makes liquids seem a little better lol.

Day 4.

Headaches are gone.

Felling like a human again.

Mike

Day 4.

Headaches are gone.

Felling like a human again.

Mike

Yay! The headaches were the worst...today I am headache free as well and actually feeling energized.

@@TXTinana Headaches? NOOOOO! Do we get headaches? From caffeine withdrawl?

My patient coordinator says it is withdrawal more than likely from caffeine and food. Mine only lasted til the morning of Day 2. Granted I am only now on Day 3, but I haven't had one since. I don't know what your diet will be like but I am still allowed to have unsweet tea and black coffee, I just haven't had any drink yet other than my Protein shake and Water.

Hi All

Thank you all for the kind responses and words of encouragement. I am very happy to say that day 8 is much easier than day 1 was. For all on day 1, it's the hardest but it does get easier. I felt like everything smelled 100xs better than I remembered, foods I had never craved before (Vietnamese Pho, corn tortillas and egg rolls - to name a few) I now craved. I did figure out that if I made the shake and left it in the freezer while I blow dry my hair or watered my plants made it go down MUCH easier - dare I say I even enjoyed it. My surgeon has a very strict list of what I'm allowed pre-op: Protein Shakes (from a specific list, most Protein shakes are glorified milkshakes), broth, SF Jello, SF ice pops, SF 0 cal beverages and that's it. It was a rough adjustment phase but I think I'm over the hump and I'm looking forward to the finish line.

Again, thank you all for the kind responses. Best of luck to all heading into surgery in August :)

6 days till surgery ..woot woot ...got into my size 24s today