Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IBS and Fibromyalgia. Will gastric sleeve make things worse?

Hi everyone, I have been poking around the forums without finding anyone else mentioning these issues, so I guess I need to ask the group. As the title says, I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). This means that I have trouble with certain foods (i.e., fatty or greasy), but also my stomach will act up for no reason, making me feel nauseous, weak, and gassy. Constipation is a constant companion, but I manage that with Metamucil and other mucoids. I also have fibromyalgia, which makes me achey all over, and fatigue and weakness are also a problem. Besides that, I had two back surgeries, one which caused nerve damage, so I am taking a lot of strong pain meds to control that.

I mentioned my fibromyalgia to the pre-op nurse, but didn't get any reaction. I am considering going to Mexico for the gastric sleeve operation, but I am worried about side effects due to my IBS and fibro or many of the meds I take. Does anyone else have either or both of these conditions? Am I crazy for considering this surgery? Especially going to Mexico for it, where, once I come home, my doctor will be far away and unable to help me with follow-up. I spend a lot of time on my couch, because of the pain and the fatigue. Exercise is not something I can do a lot of, and if I do walk too long one day, I get a major flare-up and have to rest for two or three days.

Can anyone relate? Can anyone tell me if the sleeve will help me or harm me? All of your comments are welcome. Thanks, Dawn

Hi Dawn personally I have felt fewer fibro flare ups after surgery. I am about a year out and now am able to get off the couch more and exercise. I don't have ibs but have always had food allergies and stomach issues which I also have a lot less of now. I would suggest a lot of research if you are going to do it in mexico. But there are some good Drs out there just be careful and do research.

Thanks for your response. What kind of diet are you following now? I wonder if part of feeling better is due to eating a healthier diet?

I also have IBS and FMS. Both are 100% better since I had the surgery 16 months ago. I am able to tolerate most all foods. I still have some Constipation but I handle it with stool softeners and Miralax.< /p>

That's very encouraging. Thanks @@Mbstas!

I never had digestive issues presleeve now more prone to diarrhea but not a serious problem

To Dawn 306: I have FM,IBS, and RA. I thought I was crazy for a while because I would have horrible abdominal and pelvic/pubic area pain only to be told it was similar to the spasms FM caused during flares... just internal. It made it very difficult to urinate at times. Rushed to the hospital for vomiting and blue lips found a hernia pushing all internal organs into my chest. Enter gastric bypass surgery as the "best way to repair a hernia." Approx 3 mos later and I've yet to get abdominal pain under control. It's seems if I eat and a flare comes up...owww! My insides are cramping and spasming with food now stuck in the process. Timing when I can or can't eat what is STILL painful. If you have the option to lose weight another way... take it!!! I'm hopeful that someday I'll get better at this...it someday could be a lot of uncomfortable to painful days away!

My fibro is definitely better after losing weight.