Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about goal weight?

So at my appt this past Fri., I was talking with my surgeon and he asked me what I envisioned as my goal weight. I had honestly never thought about it and I told him that I honestly had no clue what "normal" would be having been overweight all my life or even the concept of being able to reach it, and we talked for awhile and he wrote down 200lbs in the fields on the worksheet. I've been just thinking about that non stop all weekend. Is he saying realistically this is about where he thinks I will top out given my family history and weightloss history or is this more of a number that although higher than my ideal weight per height would be, it's attainable for me and although I'll probably lose more than that, it's a reachable goal so I can have a place to reach and feel success? Or am I just totally over thinking this whole thing together and should just not even worry what it says on the sheet one way or the other?

Probably just overthinking the whole thing. When they asked me, I didn't know what to say either so I picked a number out of thin air. I met that goal early on and continued to drop almost another 40 pounds below that number.

@@James Marusek thanks. I was really just stressing over this whole thing. I guess what's on paper in the office vs my personal goal at home could be totally diff numbers too. I'd just really like to know what it would feel like to wear a single digit size just once in my life and I didn't realize how badly I wanted that until I was daydreaming about buying clothes. Even if I can't maintain that weight for my height, I'd like to wear it just once.

I went from a size 3XL down to a size Small in shirts and from a size 46 down to a size 32 in pants. So I guess there is a real chance that you could meet this goal.

It's kinda weird when I'm trying to diet my goal weight is around 185# but with WLS I'm hoping for 140-145# which would be a loss of 120#.

It's kinda weird when I'm trying to diet my goal weight is around 185# but with WLS I'm hoping for 140-145# which would be a loss of 120#.

I'd like to reach about 145 as my ultimate goal. I think that's what the doctors would say would be my ideal weight for my current height of 5'9.(apparently have lost over an inch with my back issues)

Wow @@Sajijoma I am 5'9 as well but my goal would be 180 I currently weigh 352

I'm 5' 9" as well but my goal is 170. I'm starting to shrink height wise so if I can get lower I will! I'm down to 228 from 359. 335 was DOS. I lost my 100 right at 6mo. My Dr thinks my goal is doable. I really hope he's right!

OMG THAT IS AWESOME@ onmywaytobeingfound..I cant wait !!!!!

Wow @@Sajijoma I am 5'9 as well but my goal would be 180 I currently weigh 352

I think maybe it's just something he thought was doable for me. Maybe if he wrote 145 he could sense me freaking the hell out! LOL I'm starting at 410 so that's a 50% drop so even IF that was all I lost, I'd be happy. I'm firmly packed so when I did weigh 200, I was wearing a regular XL in most clothes. Of course it would be pretty cool to reach my ideal weight since I've been overweight all my life.

My doctor determined my goal weight by what 65% (I think that's right) of my excess weight loss would be since it is the "average" amount lost with gastric bypass.

My doctor said I could lose 200 lbs. me losing 200 lbs, I'd look like there was something wrong. My goal is losing 150-170 lbs. I'm about half way there.