Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What if it is hard to exercise

I have problems getting around even in Water I have a lot of pain in my legs and I can't move around to much and the more I do the more it hurts does any one have any ideas as to what I can do

We are discussing this very subject here: http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/344935-exercise-for-the-sake-of-exercise/page-7#entry3890654

Here were my thoughts:

My initial thought was this is the wrong site for this question. We are good at things baritric, but not people with mobility issues, so I googled: exercise for those with disabilities

http://www.disableds...okwkaAgIL8P8HAQ

http://www.disabled-...tness/exercise/

These forums may be great resources for you.

I have problems getting around even in Water I have a lot of pain in my legs and I can't move around to much and the more I do the more it hurts does any one have any ideas as to what I can do

What are your leg pains from? Are you seeing a doctor for them?

Part of what prompted me to start Water aerobics year ago was leg pain. I had arthritis in my knees and at the time my feet and legs would swell due to bad eating habits. Yes walking was painful. I set small goals. After I changed my diet and got rid of all processed foods, I would walk daily in small burst. Once I joined water aerobics, my goal was 2 days a week. I needed the other days to recover. After a month, I added one more day. Again I maintained that for a month. I would sometimes have to come home and prop my legs up. It took nearly a year to work up to 4 times a week. On days when I was tired I would just go and walk in the pool. I had to rebuild that strength and it was often a painful process.

Now if you have some other issue, there are loads of videos out there for people with limited mobility. Youtube had videos for exercises to do while seated and you can also order DVDs if you search.

I have some bad disk in my back and they are pinching my nerves sending pain down my legs and the dr can't find a way to get them to stop with out removing the disk and my insurance won't pay for everything I need to see the right dr to get it taken care of

I have some bad disk in my back and they are pinching my nerves sending pain down my legs and the dr can't find a way to get them to stop with out removing the disk and my insurance won't pay for everything I need to see the right dr to get it taken care of

Has he done the injections or will insurance not cover them? Like sciatica? My sister has the same thing. She had to get injections as an outpatient. She has both upper neck/disc issues which were resolved with 2 mths of intense therapy and lower spine/disc issues.

She says the injections have made all the difference. She can now walk without pain and that's after only 2 sessions. The injections are a series of 3, space one month apart. If the injections had not worked, she would have needed surgery. Unfortunately you need medical intervention, exercise along will not change things. They can help after treatment, exercise along won't stop the pain.

I have terrible pain in my knees due to severe arthritis and trauma to both knees, but I excel at the gym with weight training, since I went back to the gym I have made tremendous strides, I sleep better and my back pain is gone, I don't know what to say except you may need to have some more surgery, my wife has a bulging disc in her neck and the pain can get very bad so I understand, good luck

I have had the injection and all and they did not help

You may need surgery. If that's not an option, I would request physical therapy. Spinal issues cannot be exercised away. You risk further injury.

They did physical therapy but due to the back and the pinched nerve between the disk the musles in my leg are to tighten there afraid that it is going to rip and make things worst

@@bring I am so sorry to hear this. I, too, am struggling with this problem. Most people say, "When you hit a plateau, exercise more." What if one can't? I went into this with a "pretty-sound" body. Little did I know that the mobility issues that I thought were weight/age related, were really a very serious Hip disease. Now, I am facing, at age 52, a bilateral hip replacement. Any exercise, including Water aerobics, causes pain. It isn't debilitating yet, normal, everyday movements cause just modest pain. But it is increasing every day. I went to 2 orthopedists, hoping for better news. The second was worse than the first. Has anyone else suffered from pain, loss of range of motion that limits exercise? How did you cope?

I also have an issue like this I've lost 170 lbs in less than a year however I seem to be stuck haven't lost anything in a month seem to gain and lose the same two lbs over and over I have severe arthritis in one foot and ankle no cartilage and plantar fasciitis same foot and neuropathy in both legs and feet it's all I can do to get thru a work day on my feet all day then when I sit everything stiffens up and it's excruciating just to get up to go to restroom there's no way I can jog or walk any extra or stand to do aerobics I wish I could I need to lose another 100 lbs can't eat much and now not losing any weight I'm so frustrated

Just saw this on HSN this weekend. I may order it. Winter's are challenging for me because my street is small and if it snows heavily I am plowed in. Even though I mostly go to the gym, I like having a backup plan. However I still think something like this is for people with limited mobility. If you have serious health issues, exercise or PT may not be the answer for you.