Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am on day 5 of my two week pre op liquid diet! This has got to be the hardest thing I've ever done in my entire life! Seriously! I am required to have 7 HMR (lactose free) Meal Replacement shakes per day. They can be mixed with Water only! I am also allowed to have broth, Crystal Light, coffee, tea, water or diluted fruit juices and sugar free popsicles. The shake flavors come in chocolate or vanilla only. They are getting really hard to get down! Most days, I'm only able to get 6 of them in. I have 9 days to go and....honestly....I'm hoping I make it! Today, I put 1 tablespoon of PB2 in my vanilla shake. It made it taste soooo much better! I am drinking over 64 oz of water per day. I've already lost 8lbs...but this is pure torture, especially when you still have to cook for 3 kids and a husband. I want to eat real food so badly!

I'd appreciate some words of advice! How have others handled this?

Just understand there is usually at least another 2 weeks of liquid after diet after surgery too. It is hard. You have to keep telling urself it's worth it and push through. Don't dwell on the hunger or what u can't have. The only positive thing to tell you is it doesn't last forever. I wish I had better for u.

Honestly this is the part I am dreading the most. I start my liquid diet in 10 days. To me that's scarier than the surgery itself (how sad is that?)

Keep updating on how it goes. Someone told me after the first week it gets easier, but I am just worried that it won't.

Hi Everyone, I am feeling your pain I am on day 6. The first 3 days were really hard for me, especially the caffiene withdrawal. The fourth and fifth day were much better, except someone in my office brought donuts!!!!! But I passed on them and I felt good about that. Today I must admit that I am "head hungry" so I have been keeping myslef busy. We can do this! The good thing is too is that I am starting to tell the difference between "real hunger" and "head hunger". Good luck to everyone!

I am on the liquid diet now as well. I can say it is hard to get the shakes in. I would rather not eat anything. I am a Salty person it is killing me. I even called to see if I could sip Pickle juice to get the sweet taste out of my mouth. Any help would be awesome. I keep telling myself it I can sleep all weekend, then I only have 3 days to survive at work until surgery. I can do this.

I am on the liquid diet now as well. I can say it is hard to get the shakes in. I would rather not eat anything. I am a Salty person it is killing me. I even called to see if I could sip Pickle juice to get the sweet taste out of my mouth. Any help would be awesome. I keep telling myself it I can sleep all weekend, then I only have 3 days to survive at work until surgery. I can do this.

Are you not allowed to eat vegetables either? I am going through Kaiser and we can have as many non-starch veggies as we want, one string cheese, and one hard boiled egg.

I think there are a variety of different pre op liver reduction diets and of various lengths. I was asked to do either a 3 shake replacement diet or to follow a very strict diet of 2 oz. of this and 3 pieces of that. I am an all or nothing girl so opted for the liquid only, so I didn't have to keep thinking about my next meal and decided to do 18 days, my own choice and probably no difference to the 14 day one in terms of reducing the liver.

Day 4 and 5 were the worst, the headaches were unbelievable but I drank more Water and they eventually went. A couple of days I have felt teary and down, very tired and desperate for the 23rd of July to be here. I’m on day 12 now, in the evening so at the end of it whohoooooo.

Yup it’s right that we have another two weeks of liquids afterwards however I do believe this will be totally different to the pre op diet, in many way easier. Good luck everyone, this isn't easy BUT it's worth it!!!

Hugs

Kate

My surgery is July 24 and I thought I was doing super good and not hungry much then it hit me. These last few days have been the worst... I feel your pain! I agree, very hard thing to do! I work at a restaurant and I think a lot of it is serving people alllll day long! Finding it really hard to stomach the Protein? ???

Wow, I had no idea so many shared my feelings. I am on day 5, the first four were a breeze. Today I became sullen and started to second guess myself. A friend who had it a year ago suggested I register and read here. She was so right! Thanks to everyone. I am also a savory rather than a sweet person and I find the Unjury chicken Soup really helps. I guess I'm also lucky because I get one 300 cal or less lean cuisine each day as long as I stay below 1100 calories. The last two days Clear Liquids only frankly I am dreading that.

I don't know why but I was given only a 10 day pre-op diet with 1000 calorie limit as long as there was really low or zero carbs. I have surgery on Monday and at my pre-op surgery appointment with the surgeon the nurse said I could have a salad and half a sandwich the day before. It seems many people are required to do the 10-day pre-op diet but I've been hearing a lot that the pre-op can be different for varying BMIs. My BMI is 40. I just hope I'm not doing anything wrong.

I'm on a clear liquid diet as well. This week hasn't been too hard because I worked all week and had distractions. Now it's the weekend and I'm going to be home all day and I'm worried it'll be harder. I agree the headache the first couple of days was awful but it's gotten better each day.

I could have one small meal with a Protein and veggies up until a week before surgery. So I am on day 2 of shakes only. I am not even sure I am supposed to have chicken broth or Jello at this point. I sent my doctor's office a message asking. I know I Have to stop shakes 48 hours before and do the clear liquid thing. So I am guessing I would still be able to do jello and broth. I just want to clarify. I got so much thrown at me, now that I have to apply it is the hard part and remembering what they said. I can say I think the daily guide they gave me could be better.

I've not started mine yet but I've done them before in my previous weight loss attempts. I've actually got a three week pre op diet which I'm not looking forward too it seems longer than everyone else's on here :\ my preop is the Optifast intensive phase so 3 shakes and 2 cups of non starch veg.

I think there are a variety of different pre op liver reduction diets and of various lengths. I was asked to do either a 3 shake replacement diet or to follow a very strict diet of 2 oz. of this and 3 pieces of that. I am an all or nothing girl so opted for the liquid only, so I didn't have to keep thinking about my next meal and decided to do 18 days, my own choice and probably no difference to the 14 day one in terms of reducing the liver.

Day 4 and 5 were the worst, the headaches were unbelievable but I drank more Water and they eventually went. A couple of days I have felt teary and down, very tired and desperate for the 23rd of July to be here. I’m on day 12 now, in the evening so at the end of it whohoooooo.

Yup it’s right that we have another two weeks of liquids afterwards however I do believe this will be totally different to the pre op diet, in many way easier. Good luck everyone, this isn't easy BUT it's worth it!!!

Hugs

Kate

I'm July 23 also! We are almost there

My surgery is on the 21st and I'm FREAKING OUT! This last two weeks of an 800 calorie diet has been very difficult! I was told no carbs - just Protein and vegetables. I've fallen off the wagon more times than I can count. My BMI is 35 and I've only lost a handful of lbs. I'm worried that my surgery will be cancelled. And wouldn't you know it...my pre op appt with my doc is THE DAY BEFORE!! Ugh!!