Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you eat Yogurt? What brand? What sort of toppings do you add to it?

@@Stevehud, what kind of sugary yogurt are you looking at?

All yogurts aren't high in sugar. Plain greek yogurts such as Fage have around 8g sugar per serving. And a serving is 1cup, which is alot of yogurt. I eat 1/2c.

Edited by scarletwitch19

To me anything over 1 maybe 2 g of sugar is considered high in sugar and I prefer completely sugar-free if possible. now in maintenance phase it might be acceptable to me. But I have had a lot of success so far and been able to keep my weight loss working with minimal stalls, ( yes everyone has to deal with them as we all know)

Now while I truly believe in the natural sugars are much better than added sugars, avoiding sugars , even natural ones, is that much better and helps greatly to keep me on track.

The Low glycemic effect is fine if you are a diabetic and you are avoiding spikes in blood sugars, but make no mistake, low glycemic index does not mean better for you, It simply means the sugars are more complex and require more time to be digested and absorbed into the blood. Think of them as time release sugars, so while they don't hit your bloodstream all at once like say straight glucose etc, they do last longer in your blood and give you a higher sugar/blood baseline.

Here's the biggest hint, sugar in your bloodstream all acts in the same general way in the metabolization and utilization of sugars and fats etc. SO basically once your body pulls sugars or even sugar alcohols, into your bloodstream, the sugars all act in the exact same way. Low glycemic index is just a way of saying the sugar enters your bloodstream at a slower rate, but it still enters your bloodstream as all sugars do, and in the same way.

I realize that many people cannot or will not choose to live with this low sugar low fat, low carb way that I do, and I respect that, as we say everyone's journey is their own, and that is as it must be.

What helped change my mind on sugar is the fact that we have a hard time grasping how much sugar is a gram? Sure it is a number, but what does that number really mean? This next statement is what made me change the way I handle sugars.

4 grams of sugar is the same as 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar.

So I hold that image in my head when I look at sugars on a label. 8 grams of sugar in your yogurt, or any product, equals two whole teaspoonfuls of granulated sugar. And even if the glycemic index is lower, it still all goes to the same place, it just takes more time to get there.

I am not trying to evangelize, or change anyone's mind, or make you feel bad or anything, I promise. But these are the reasons I do what I do, and eat how I eat.

I hope that I have been able to explain this without coming off as a butthead or arrogant. I know my posts have a tendency to come out that way.

To me anything over 1 maybe 2 g of sugar is considered high in sugar and I prefer completely sugar-free if possible. now in maintenance phase it might be acceptable to me. But I have had a lot of success so far and been able to keep my weight loss working with minimal stalls, ( yes everyone has to deal with them as we all know)

Now while I truly believe in the natural sugars are much better than added sugars, avoiding sugars , even natural ones, is that much better and helps greatly to keep me on track.

The Low glycemic effect is fine if you are a diabetic and you are avoiding spikes in blood sugars, but make no mistake, low glycemic index does not mean better for you, It simply means the sugars are more complex and require more time to be digested and absorbed into the blood. Think of them as time release sugars, so while they don't hit your bloodstream all at once like say straight glucose etc, they do last longer in your blood and give you a higher sugar/blood baseline.

Here's the biggest hint, sugar in your bloodstream all acts in the same general way in the metabolization and utilization of sugars and fats etc. SO basically once your body pulls sugars or even sugar alcohols, into your bloodstream, the sugars all act in the exact same way. Low glycemic index is just a way of saying the sugar enters your bloodstream at a slower rate, but it still enters your bloodstream as all sugars do, and in the same way.

I realize that many people cannot or will not choose to live with this low sugar low fat, low carb way that I do, and I respect that, as we say everyone's journey is their own, and that is as it must be.

What helped change my mind on sugar is the fact that we have a hard time grasping how much sugar is a gram? Sure it is a number, but what does that number really mean? This next statement is what made me change the way I handle sugars.

4 grams of sugar is the same as 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar.

So I hold that image in my head when I look at sugars on a label. 8 grams of sugar in your yogurt, or any product, equals two whole teaspoonfuls of granulated sugar. And even if the glycemic index is lower, it still all goes to the same place, it just takes more time to get there.

I am not trying to evangelize, or change anyone's mind, or make you feel bad or anything, I promise. But these are the reasons I do what I do, and eat how I eat.

I hope that I have been able to explain this without coming off as a butthead or arrogant. I know my posts have a tendency to come out that way.

Thank you for your detailed explain action. I did know what glycemic index meant and I do believe for all the reasons you say a lower glycemic index is better for ME despite not having diabetes. It isn't as "addicting" with the slower metabolism and lack of sugar spikes.

You have set yourself a very low threshold and I'm glad that works for you. But I don't think it's wrong to market Greek yogurt with no added sugar for weight loss. It's healthy and full of Protein and a good solid choice for many.

Many would argue that it's far better for you than the artificial sweeteners in the sugar free stuff which science is showing can cause increased sugar cravings in some people

Sometimes I get the light ones, sometimes I just get the ones I like - regular Oikos, Dannon, etc. Those days, it's pretty much the only sugar I take in except what's naturally occurring in the milk I make my shake with, so I don't worry about it too much. Plus it's one of the foods I can rely on when I'm having a tough sleeve day and things don't want to stay down.

@@Stevehud, you're dead on that we need to be careful with sucrose (and all sugars in significant doses). But do keep in mind that in order for your liver to be able to process all that Protein successfully, you do need some amount of carbohydrates. Anything under 100g is considered 'low carb' and under 50 is 'very low carb.' Staying under 15 is 'dangerous.' I keep mine at about 40g after working with my NUT to figure out how many I need to stay healthy based on RMR, VO2 and a few other metrics. Just be careful and make sure you're working with a NUT to determine your 'low carb' goal rather than taking a 'lower is better' approach. There's a reason folks on the Atkins Diet tend towards liver failure young (see The Lancet, May 2014, I think).

There's also the fact that all carbohydrates (except some fibers like cellulose) - especially the starches found in things like zucchini (great for us), cauliflower (central to caulibread), heck, even lettuce are broken down by the amylase in our mouths as we chew into, what else, sugar! So although these foods are 'sugar free,' by the time they exit our pouch and start being absorbed, many are just as sugary as unsweetened yogurt (and actually higher in sucrose [white table sugar], believe it or not). And all of that sugar is produced through an enzyme action, not any sort of "i have to digest it so it cancels out' sort of mechanism (unlike the sugar that our bodies convert even steak into so we can use it for energy - THAT is a deep metabolic mechanism that absolutely cancels out the sugar :)

I don't say this to say 'don't eat zukes - they're secret sugar' (in fact, eat them a lot!), just to say that - Yes, we need to be careful to monitor and keep our carbs low. And yes, sugar is one to be particularly careful of. But when we demonize any food (except trans fats, those things are straight-up Satan molecules:) we run the risk of actually harming ourselves and/or missing out on a fully nutrative diet.

All that aside, if your NUT says I'm a nut, do what your NUT says. I am neither a doctor or a nurse, just a well-educated former med student, chemist, and concerned bari-citizen who doesn't want to see anyone's liver go. It's a hell of a way to die.

Edited by Smye

Another quick comment - many of those dannon and yoplait products aren't actually fermented milk (yogurt), but are thickened soured milk with xanthan gum and other thickeners. I'm not saying don't eat them, just be aware that you may not be getting the probiotic cultures you assume. Nothing pisses me off more than large food companies (yoplait, for example) marketing things like GoGurt to kids and assuring mom that it's "yogurt" so it's good for your kid. Then you actually read the label and voila - just skim milk and corn Syrup with some fillers, no yogurt whatsoever. That's much of the reason we have an obesity swell in our country, not the damn lactose in real yogurt. Thanks for reading my rant - my apologies if any of you work for yoplait/dannon/etc. Most big food does this - even whole f-ing foods. I trusted you guys!

Thanks SMYE, i agree most definitely in what you say My Nut and I work together on my low carb diet. i do take in carbs, its almost impossible not to , as you stated very well. I try to keep my carbs to natural carbs, and as much as i want bread, my sleeve doesn't like bread. We need some carbs to be turned into sugars for brain function. that old glucose in the brain thing, is a truth. Brain chemistry requires glucose, not in high amounts, but its needs to use those sugars in the metabolic processes in order to help absorb Proteins. I know how stunned i was was i once picked up a 100 calories Dannon yogurt and found 100 calories, sure but 16 grams of sugar, but that is 4 teaspoonfuls. That's just not right. lol

I get between 5 and 7 sugars a day in vegetable form and almost always at dinner. and about 10 to 15 grams of carbs. I try to equal out my carbs with vegetable Fiber, and that helps. Hey, one of my favorite mini meals is broccoli roasted or pan seared with a little onion or onion salt, garlic, and ground sage and a little olive oil. So I'm gonna get carbs there and some sugars, but the good ones.

I went from drinking 2 to 3 gallons of milk a week, ( 2%) that i can see milk sugars and milk fats being a big player in my weight issues. So I avoid Lactose and milk fats when I can.

And my doctor and Nut require liver function tests regularly, and my numbers are very good.

As we all regularly state to each his own, every Journey is separate. Sugars cause me to slow down my weight loss to a crawl, when I Hit a level I want to maintain at, I have a plan ready to reintroduce more carbs and natural sugars back into my diet, but for now I'm 8 7 and half months post op and I'm using this "honeymoon" time for all I can.

This isnt doable by everyone, but for me it works.

I like the chobani 100 key lime

Hi

I eat Dannon 80 cal Light and Fit. It has fructose and sucrolose. I don't like them as much as Chobani but I'll eat it and keep Chobani as a treat.

My fav Dannon is strawberry Cheesecake.

That Strawberry Cheesecake is AMAZING!!!!!!

@@Stevehud, way to rock it, man. I have a similar issue with most starches (slice of bread = weeklong plateau), though for whatever reason lactose doesn't slow me down at all. Keep up the good work and I'm glad to hear you're well.

I usually eat a Hannaford brand 80 calorie greek yogurt. Usually vanilla. I like to mix about a quarter cup of frozen fruit or berries in with it.

I think a great choice but I sprinkled blueberries and stevia to make it palatable.

The best yogurt I have found is FAGE 0%. I don't have a container of it right now, but I think one cup contains 23 grams of Protein, 12 carbs, and 120 calories. Please correct me if I am wrong. The downside to this stuff is that it is quite expensive and only stays good for a week after you open it.