Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone else over 60 having or have had the sleeve surgery

I am sixty years old and will have my surgery next Tuesday (7/21) It has been difficult finding other at my age who are or have had the surgery. Anyone over 50 or 60 out there who have had the surgery???

Hi I am 54 and had the sleeve done March 19th this year. Best of luck next week. What I can tell you is it is the best thing I have ever done, wish I did it sooner.

I got my sleeve 12/23/2013, just a few days after my 62nd birthday, sooooo 64 is coming up. Although I am a slow loser and did not lose it all in one flash, I am close to goal. My recovery was uncomplicated and nearly painless. My insides rejoice in outstanding nutrition, I can walk easier and stand taller. I can even get down on the floor to play with my grandchildren now, and get back up without help.

I'm 63 and had the surgery 2 weeks ago. My surgery went well and the recovery has been pretty smooth. My only issue right now is that I get tired easily, but I've been assured that I will feel better in a few weeks. I've lost 20 pounds so far, including pre-op, but the weight loss has slowed. My NUT tells me it's primarily because I'm considered a "lightweight ". My BMI was barely high enough, even with diabetes. It may take me a while, but I know I will reach my goal.

Hi, I'm 62 and going to have my surgery on August 13. I have read a few post about people having reflux after surgery. Can anyone elaborate on this? I have Gurd and was hoping it would not be as bad after surgery.

I had my surgery on June 8th in Tijuana, Mexico. Drove myself from Scottsdale to San Diege (aprox 6 hours). Had surgery on Mon. Released from hospital Wed morning. Left Mexico on Fri. morning and drove myself home with absolutely no pain or even mild discomfort. Went back to work on Sat. I went back to playing tennis 3 weeks after surgery and only wish I did it sooner! Acid Reflux is an almost guarantee due to the small size of our stomach. My Dr started us on Prolosec 3 days after surgery. Other than that, I am not bothered by it at all! Good luck!

I am 65 and was sleeved 5/21. I recovered quickly and had no complications; no nausea, vomiting, food stuck, etc. At my 6 week follow up I had lost 39 lbs since surgery date, weighing in at 241. I will weigh in on 8/5 next. I am off all but 3 medications (was on 9) have normal bp and bg. I am thrilled to be feeling this good in my retirement! I love the gym and the new friends I am making there. Daytime hours there are many seniors working out. I plan to have fun for a long time to come.

I am just 9 weeks out from sleeve gastrectomy. At 61 years old I didn't expect it to be easy but it went much better than I hoped, that is no complications. I am losing in slow increments but at least I'm losing! Feeling great too, hopefully getting off by meds by next visit to my surgeon.

Edited by skinnyrita

Had VSG surgery at 68 y.o. Am now 69 and reached my weight goal 8.5 months post-op. Am now 6 pounds under goal. Feeling, looking, AM just wonderful!

My surgery, recovery, weight loss and now maintenance efforts also were pretty easy.

Just do what you're supposed to do at each phase, each day. The future will take care of itself. It's boring to hear this, but it is not a sprint--it's a marathon run one step at a time. The real truth is that WLS is never done. It just goes on and on. :)

Us old folks understand that a lot better than the young'uns do. :)

BTW, there's an "over 65" thread around here you should also check out. Lots of folks in their 60s have had WLS of various kinds and done very well.

I am 7 months post sleeve and I'm 58. Best thing I have done. Saved my life. Best of Luck. Age is only a number.

I was sleeved 6/22/15, so I'm almost 4 weeks out as of today. I'll be 58 next month.....

I've had zero complications, no nausea, no acid reflux, no vomiting. It's been so easy, I feel like I must be doing something wrong! Also, I was a low BMI (35) to start with, that coupled with my age I really felt like I would be a slower loser. I've lost 26.6 as of this morning, which I think is fabulous!

Best decision I've ever made.

Though I do not have a surgery date set, I expect it will be end of August/Early September. I will turn 60 at the end of this month. The waiting is frustrating, but I am so ready to move forward!!!! This website has been a godsend. Reading everyone's posts has been very helpful in keeping me focused.

To Miss Mac - You are an inspiration :)

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. It was very insightful and has put me more at ease. I don't expect it to be easy but am looking forward to getting this behind me and moving forward. Thank you all.