Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys so I'm a month plus after surgery, was just wondering when I can start drinking again... Moderately, but still.

You gotta live a little, right? ;) Already lost 40 pounds in like a month!

Most here recommend waiting a year. Put your energy (which is limited) into getting in better and better shape. Alcohol even in moderation slows you and your weight-loss down. You only have so much sleeve space, so putting empty calories in your system is not the best use of limited space.

If you decide to drink down the road, you are going to handle it differently than before. Don't know how, some find that they get drunk very quick, some don't. Everyone's tolerance is different.

Another caution - the rate of alcoholism for bariatric patients is higher than typically found in the general population. So be honest with yourself and talk it over in advanced with significant partners in your life.

Most here recommend waiting a year. Put your energy (which is limited) into getting in better and better shape. Alcohol even in moderation slows you and your weight-loss down. You only have so much sleeve space, so putting empty calories in your system is not the best use of limited space.

If you decide to drink down the road, you are going to handle it differently than before. Don't know how, some find that they get drunk very quick, some don't. Everyone's tolerance is different.

Another caution - the rate of alcoholism for bariatric patients is higher than typically found in the general population. So be honest with yourself and talk it over in advanced with significant partners in your life.

I am aware of all that. When I say drink, I mean on social occasions and not often. To think that I won't drink for a year is unthinkable, so my question really was: when can I drink without it sending me to the floor in spasms? Thanks

I would consult with your NUT. Mine said 6 months (no beer ever).

Good luck with your journey!

NUT is nutritionist, right? Thanks!

I was 6 weeks post op and my dr okayed a drink here and there socially. I had a wedding and drank 2 Malibu bay breezes couple hours apart. Took forever to drink, but it was delish! I didn't get a quick buzz. I'm now 10 weeks post op and tried a vodka drink and as soon as I drank it I knew sleeve didn't like it and I didn't drink it.

Sw 276 (start of 7 day pre op diet) sleeved 5/5/15

Cw 201

Edited by Jenngeb

People are going to judge with me saying this, but I drink probably a few times a month. I entertain customers and as much as people say you can fake it, it makes things awkward in my industry if you have always drank and all of a sudden stop. I haven't had any issues - just take it slow because it hits harder and faster and goes away sooner than before (for me). I haven't lost as much as I thought I would have and I'm sure drinking had something to do with it. But so do the long hours and the travel and other life circumstances. I'm following my diet very closely but still have problems with hydration (yes I know alcohol makes it worse). Hard liquor had been a bad idea. wine has been fine. Good luck and you do you.

No beer ever is like... ugh!!! Especially when I fly in for Cowboys games.

People are going to judge with me saying this, but I drink probably a few times a month. I entertain customers and as much as people say you can fake it, it makes things awkward in my industry if you have always drank and all of a sudden stop. I haven't had any issues - just take it slow because it hits harder and faster and goes away sooner than before (for me). I haven't lost as much as I thought I would have and I'm sure drinking had something to do with it. But so do the long hours and the travel and other life circumstances. I'm following my diet very closely but still have problems with hydration (yes I know alcohol makes it worse). Hard liquor had been a bad idea. wine has been fine. Good luck and you do you.

Why was hard liquor bad for you? I have always drank vodka and assumed after the surgery and waiting period I would be ok to drink it.

I just have a harder time knowing when it's going to hit me and I seem to get reoccurring drunk with it. I'll be buzzed then be fine, then have another drink and end up being drunk unintentionally. I could always hold my booze before surgery but I have to be careful now. Two glasses of wine is pushing it, three is probably a mistake. Hard alcohol is way less predictable for me for some reason.

I entertain clients often and have found if I tell the server ahead of time and in private that I'm going to order an alcoholic drink but please make it a virgin Noone even suspects that I'm not drinking alcohol :)

alcoholic beverages actually have started causing a stomach ache and wine is the only thing that doesn't seem to bother me.

I had a drink three days post-op, with no complications. The buzzed effect does hit you harder in my opinion, due to the smaller stomach.