Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so sick of water

G2 is lower calorie. Try Powerade Zero though. It is zero carb. And have you tried Propel Fitness Water? Good flavors. No carbonation. No calories.

@leag78- Neither wine nor carbonation are a wise choice at this point - which I am guessing you already know.

Powerade zero is better than g2. No calories and less than 1 carb. G2 has like 5 grams of carbs. And a few calories. When you can only have 60 grams of carbs a day those 5 add up fast.

I was told As long as it's sugar free Gatorade it is OK. I got dehydrated early on and ended up in ER so now I focus on drinking fluids. At 6 months I love a cool drink of Water but I did pre-op too!

Oh dear I have been drinking Gatorade -it quenches my thirst. Can someone tell me why its bad? I don't want to mess up.

I believe there are different types of gatorade. At least one version is acceptable. I think its the one with zero calories. [As mentioned above, that version appears to be G2].

I found very fine teas from England were enjoyable to drink. Also during winter I found that hot cocoa was really good, but it must be the no sugar added variety.

I really have trouble getting Water in me, and I don't like plain water, so for me its Crystal Light, Propel, low cal Gatorade 2 ( 45 cals per 20 oz bottle ) , Swiss Miss cocoa ( mixed with water), tea, and occasionally a glass of milk. There may be some calories in them, but with the very painful leg cramps I was getting from not drinking enough, , I figure having these drinks is the lesser of 2 evils. Im still losing weight, so I must be doing something right !

@@leag78

Please don't take this the wrong way but were you aware that carbonated beverages is something you need to stay away from forever before you chose to have this surgery?

It is the worst beverage you can put into your new stomach. Liquor is also not a good thing in the first 12 months and then only non carbonated drinks.

I know it is difficult but there is so much data that tells us how to have the most success post WLS. When these rules are not followed long term, we fail. Then people assume the surgery doesn't work. When in fact it is us.

There is a reason insurance companies require such long pre op visits with nutritionists. It's because they believe you are changing behaviors to help you become more successful.

Sorry if this is harsh but I am guessing your surgical team told you what the parameters of your diet need to be following surgery. If you are looking for us to tell you it's ok to drink your soda, you won't get that from this group.

Many have responded with great alternatives that don't include carbonation or liquor. I would suggest staying on the plan or calling your nut or physcologist for some help dealing with your cravings.

You can do this! You did not go through all this pain to mess it up by going that far off pla.

Good luck!

Sorry if I missed it, but I don't know if anyone addressed the real reason you aren't supposed to have carbonated drinks. It's not because you're going to get gas per se, it's because it will stretch your pouch. When your pouch gets stretched you will need more food to satisfy your hunger. That's why over time you could eat more and more. The more food you eat, and soda you drink, the bigger your stomach gets, the more food it takes to satiate you.

I'm with Djmohr on this one. Everyone should know the off limits food and beverages going into bariatric surgery, and if your bariatric center failed to tell you, they made a huge mistake.

I can't imagine drinking diet soda at this point, anyway. It has to be sickeningly sweet, like all other drinks I try with artificial sugar in them. Yuck.

Well if your brother did it! I'm surprised your surgeon didn't tell you about this before you had surgery or maybe he did. I'm sure the thought of it sounds good and harmless but it's not. I'm not sure why your brother would be drinking wine within a month of surgery maybe his surgeon allowed that? Whatever not my business but everyone here has told you the reasons why you shouldn't. Your grown and your going to do as you please. Wine was no where on my list but if I where going to be non compliant I'd drink wine before carbonation Just for the sake of pain. You do as you wish! Good luck!!!

@@leag78

Please don't take this the wrong way but were you aware that carbonated beverages is something you need to stay away from forever before you chose to have this surgery?

It is the worst beverage you can put into your new stomach. Liquor is also not a good thing in the first 12 months and then only non carbonated drinks.

I know it is difficult but there is so much data that tells us how to have the most success post WLS. When these rules are not followed long term, we fail. Then people assume the surgery doesn't work. When in fact it is us.

There is a reason insurance companies require such long pre op visits with nutritionists. It's because they believe you are changing behaviors to help you become more successful.

Sorry if this is harsh but I am guessing your surgical team told you what the parameters of your diet need to be following surgery. If you are looking for us to tell you it's ok to drink your soda, you won't get that from this group.

Many have responded with great alternatives that don't include carbonation or liquor. I would suggest staying on the plan or calling your nut or physcologist for some help dealing with your cravings.

You can do this! You did not go through all this pain to mess it up by going that far off pla.

Good luck!

No I'm not offended by what you're telling me. Half of the time, when I post, I'm just venting as we all do. I know that soda and liquor is bad, and haven't cheated with either of those. That's why I asked for alternatives to Water. I was never told about sparkling Water, so I asked you all what you thought. Trust me when I tell you that I didn't come this way for nothing. I'm taking this very seriously, but I'm also only human too. I became obese because of the bad choices I made regarding food and beverages. So occasionally my mind slips back into old habits, thus, craving the forbidden. As you all have stated many times, we didn't get this way over night, so just because we had this surgery it doesn't mean that poof all of your impure thoughts on junk food are magically cured. This is just my way of working through all of that by venting to you all.

Believe me when I say I appreciate all of your advice. If I didn't I would never post. I'm only 3 mos post op so of course there is a lot to learn. But please keep in mind that we all come here to vent. We all struggle from time to time. That is why I get offended when some say that this is the easy way out, because it is far from easy. Just like alcoholics still attend meetings to overcome their addiction, I come here for reassurance. I have no doubt in my mind that I can do this, hell, I believe we all can if we work hard enough for it. As I stated many times this is where I get all of my support from. The reason I'm saying this is to remind everyone here that we look for support not to be shamed or brow beaten. We all know the consequences of our actions, and posting here helps me cope. That is all!

Go ahead try a few nice swallows of sparkling anything. then sit back and enjoy the pain and suffering. ( please dont do this) If you need to go out and get the sodastream soda mixes and just skip the machine that carbonates the soda and just mix up some non carbonated diet cola or diet root beer etc. trust me it helps. ALthough i pretty much live off of mio type products like the kool aid liquids the most.

Everyone's surgeon and NUT have different plans. And there are those who disagree that carbonation will stretch your stomach. Surgeons vary on your pre-op diet and your post-op diet and how long you stay in the hospital and so forth and so on.

I've had some carbonation - and I did not have any pain or suffering. It was no different than drinking Water. Water gives me major heartburn so sometimes I have something else.

@@leag78

Good for you to be willing to risk and get out there and post whatever is going on with you.

Written words can be interpreted so many ways but I feel most posts have caring intensions. (and us newbies seem to think we know it all, ha ha!) =NOTN

Best to you and keep posted. We all need to share what's going on.