Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 5 weeks post op and I am struggling with the Protein Shakes and Fluid intake any pointers?

When I was early out I drank (still do) the Premier Protein drinks they sell at most Walmart's and SAMS. They are ready made with 30 grams of Protein per shake 11oz I think. I love the taste of them! chocolate is the one I always get. Once I could handle that I would add a cup of Water and one scoop of the Syntrax Peanut Butter cookie protein to it and that would gIve me 56 grams of protein per drink. It took awhile to get it down but I worked my way to 2 a day which gave me over 100 grams of protein.

@@Elode wow that's awesome..I was drinking designer whey..you said you make them with Water? Maybe that's my problem as well I was making it with milk. Thank you for your help :) what do you do about foods?

The ready made Premier Protein are already made so I don't make them but when I add the Syntrax to it I then add a cup of Water because if not it would be too sweet.

I'm 8 months post -op with good restriction but I can eat pretty much whatever I like. Sometimes chicken and tough meats are a little hard on me so for awhile I was pretty much doing vegetarian. Sometimes I juice, it really just depends on what I feel like for that day. I still do Protein Shakes regularly to get my Protein in! I have a strawberry mousse Syntrax one in the freezer right now getting cold. I love my shakes. They are easier on my stomach.

Back around 5 weeks out I was eating retried Beans With avocado and sour cream, salsa & cheese. Ricotta cheese bake, crab cakes (without bread crumbs just the crabmeat, miracle whip, mustard, parsley and egg mixed with some O bay seasoning and cooked. Things like that.

No not retried! Refried. Lol!

As far as Water I have always had an issue with it plain. I switched to coconut water in the first few weeks because it's a super hydrator even more so than water with potassium. Just straight coconut water in the container NO sugar added! That was Easy for me and the first few DAYS after surgery I drank the Isopure liquid ready made drinks, not the best tasting stuff but 30 grams of Protein per bottle and clear liquid.

Everything tasted too sweet and was too thick for me postop, so I diluted everything at least 1/2 and 1/2 with Water or milk. Premier chocolate with 8-12oz milk made it just about right. I added twice as much Water or milk as what the directions said when mixing powders. (Syntrax nectar, Syntrax Matrix, Muscle Milk, Quest, Spirutein,, Syntha 6 and Raw Fit are my favorites) Added unjury unflavored Protein powder to every broth and diluted/strained cream Soup I could find for a welcome break from all the sweet shakes.

I could not tolerate lactose, plain water or artificial sweeteners for the first 4 months so I drank a lot of lactaid, Decaf herbal tea, dilute 100% juice, diluted Vitamin water and dilute pedialyte.

Edited by Kindle

Lol..I just switched to coconut Water myself I've always loved it and it's much better but the carbs are like 28g so I was worried about that, but those 2 recipes you described sound amazing! I'm going to try and get those 2 Proteins you mentioned and see how it goes. When you ate in the beginning did you feel like it took you forever like a bite every 5 mins? Lol

How was the flavor of the lactaid Kindle?

@@prbaby28 oh no you have to watch the cocnut Water you get. I got this its Coconut O.N.E. Brand they sell at Walmart. It doesn't have that much sugar.

post-237766-0-81970400-1436583290_thumb.jpg

Well unless you dunk a bunch but I could only drink a few medicine cups at a time and not much else so my surgeon was ok with it.

How was the flavor of the lactaid Kindle?

Tastes like regular milk to me. A lot of people use cashew milk or almond milk postop because of the lower calories. And while I like the taste of them OK, I wanted the higher Protein of dairy milk and really didn't worry about calories (and still don't....I just make healthy food choices, get plenty of protein and calories take care of themselves)

Edited by Kindle

@@Elode yeah that one is definitely better..you have been so helpful thank you so very much..it help when you have someone to give you advice that has gone through it you know..so thanks again :)