Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you know you're full?

This is so weird but I know I am full when I shiver. Like when you get a chill and your body shakes..that's what I do. At that point I stop.

So weird. Today I've had to force myself to eat something at meal time, (not much at all) and I just have NO hunger. Nothing sounds good, tastes good, feels good. Where is my appetite today?

I'm postop day one and the kitchen brought me a Glucerna for a meal. It came in an 8oz can and it took me 3 hours to drink it-is this about right? I'm not really sure how much to drink with the Protein shakes...

I also hiccup. I am a little over 2 weeks out. I had a soft boiled egg two days ago and I ate too fast. Out it came! First and only time so far I have vomited. Note to self: slow down! The hiccup signal has seemed to work. I can eat 1/4 - 1/2 cup food and stay satisfied for hours :) I have only lost about 9 lbs since surgery. My NUT did not give me calorie guidelines, only Protein and Water goals. I am only getting about 500 calories in a day. I'm wondering if that is enough or if I am putting my body into starvation mode?

It seems I have several signals. :) I feel pressure in my stomach, I also get hiccups and I burp. One day I ignored these and had one more bite and then it felt like food was backing up and I could feel it in my chest.

The thing I need to do is slow down. I am finding it very hard to do. However, I have started putting the fork down between bites and that has helped but there is still room for improvement.

I too am a little over two weeks out.

@@chelleshocked - I have also lost 9lbs. I am getting 600-700 calories and I drink one cup of coffee that has cream totaling about 100 of those calories. I have found I cant get my Protein in eating two meals and one Protein shake like the NUT told me so I tend to eat one meal and do 2 shakes. But I'm still trying to figure it out! Its a little more difficult eating food. Also, its a little more difficult getting the Water in and eating more solid food.

I hiccup when my sleeve has had its full. I've heard that some folks burp, some have runny noses. My doc said that most every one has some sort of "tell" - their warning that they are at capacity.

Yes that's so true I'm at the 8 week mark and I'm still vomiting but I know it's a work in progress. My doctor told me to eat more leafy vegetables because I was constipated really bad but I don't think I'm ready for salads tried and I got sick. Have anybody tried Pasta?

I stay away from Pasta and any white flour based products just because of the empty calories. I surveyed the successful long time sleevers and they pretty much stick to Protein and vegetables with some fruit.< /p>

At 6 months I do eat some rice crackers for a crunch with a meal but I have to watch it cuz they taste pretty good. One hard boiled egg or cooked egg keeps me full for up to 4 hours.

I had a lot of vomiting early on and even at 5 months and it was because I just couldn't get it through my thick scull that 1/4 cup of food was all I needed and all my tiny tummy would hold. Once I got that, I stopped vomiting. My Doc said vomiting was from eating too or too much and he was RIGHT ON!

Having said that my 'Tiny Tummy" is a diva. Some days I can eat more than others.

Best wishes to you. Stick to what the Doc says and you'll do fine. Try not to mess around with foods that are too tempting especially at this early stage. Start your lifetime good eating habits now.

Ok thanks for the advice eggs don't agree with me they make sick everytime I try to eat them so I just eat Activia Greek yogurt for Breakfast and lunch and dinner are the hardest meals because I have to make myself eat I do be hungry but just have a hard time finding something that want make me sick.

I was sleeved on July 6th and the only way I can tell is that I get kind of a dull ache in my stomach. For a while I thought that was just gas pains but now I realize it's my signal to stop.

For me, with liquids, 'full' was a non issue. I was tired of sipping before I felt 'full', and I just sipped when I felt like it. The weight fell off. You just can't get enough calories from liquid - unless it's milkshakes or liquid butter - to avoid losing weight those first couple of weeks.

On yogurt type stuff, it was half a container - about 3 oz. Full was a slightly nauseous feeling that didn't continue into pain. I measured when I felt that feeling - and ate one less bite after that. If I was still hungry at that point, I ate the extra bite.

With real food - for me - it was five child size bites. I ate 7 the first couple of times, and I was sick both times. So I cut back to 6 - had the nauseous feeling - cut back to five - no problem.

Now, I eat about 9 bites, but I cut my food small, I chew it into submission, and I put my silverware down between bites. I eat the first five bites without really paying attention to sleevie, then I listen after each additional bite. If she starts to get pre-nauseous, I don't eat any more.

Sometimes I burp, but if I count it is about 8 to 9 bites of solid food chewed really well. I also sit my fork down. it keeps me from mindlessly shoveling another bite in and swallowing before the first bite is mush.

I ate about half a salad a couple of weeks ago and when I got my food I ate one too many bites and felt it immediately. I didn't get sick but I felt like I swallowed a rock. I stopped eating and started sipping Water hoping to wash it through - it did. It is definitely a learning process.

I have a hard time NOT eating my veggies with my Protein, so I have to work on eating Protein first, veggies and then carbs (which is rare).

We eat out a lot and the newest change has been no drink at all at the table for me. I have been ordering Water but I don't like the chlorinated taste and I am trying to be vigilant about not drinking after I eat - eliminating the drink makes it impossible. I guess next will be no salad :/

I hiccup when I am overly full. It is a great alarm system. Also, my stomach begins to feel full quickly now. I am 14 weeks post-op.

I think hiccups are going to be my sign. It seems like when I have eaten or drank enough I get the hiccups. Thanks for everyone's advice!!

I am on my second week of "mushy" foods and I have two distinct signs, 1) the hiccup or burp. I will hiccup hard twice quickly. That is my que to stop. 2) just before the hiccup, almost as a pre-warning, my nose will start to run. I can't explain it, but I have learned quickly to listen to my body. When I was on liquids, I had no problems getting 60-80 g of Protein by basically sipping Protein drinks all day and I never really ever felt "full". As soon as I started the mushy foods, a few bites in I would start to get that feeling. 3-4 Tablespoons of food really does fill you up! Good luck!!