Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Sleeve lose more slowly?

Did people lose faster when they were using the band than when sleeved?

It seems like people are averaging, at a minimum, losing 10 lbs a month when sleeved. I never lost 10 lbs in a month when banded so will be delighted if I lose that with the sleeve.

I lost very quickly for a band patient. I was down 110 lbs in a year. I am not sure how it will go this time but 3 weeks out I have already lost more than I had with the band at the same point. Just a few lbs but still more!

Thanks Alex,

I see progress daily and I know that ultimately I have total control in my successes. Thank you for the postive words!! ;) :)

I've been following another post that was posted by Butterfly23 in the General Gastric Sleeve Discussion titled "Benefits of losing weight slower than expected" where Butterfly23 makes some excellent points to why losing weight slowly is a benefit. These are the points that Butterfly23 posted and have given me a new appreciation. I hope she doesn't mind that I quoted her points in this post. Thank you Butterfly23 for posting these points. (see below)

This is the list that Butterfly23 has posted on her post on the benefits of losing slowly:

• More time to develop healthy eating habits before maintenance
  • Skin has more time to catch up (more time to lotion!)
  • Shifting focus to NSVs like sitting in booths and chairs with arms
  • Less chance of gallstones
  • Opportunity to practice loving kindness towards myself and being grateful for any positive change
  • Chance to manage expectations – if it wasn’t for WLS, I’d be thrilled with my loss, so why not be thrilled now?
  • Practice focusing on my own wins and not comparing self to others
  • Not having to explain to others since loss isn’t dramatic (yet)
  • Chance to trust the process and not focus on the end (self-care, water/protein/low-carb/active)
  • Redefine success as how I feel, not numbers on scale
  • Understanding this is not a diet, this is my lifestyle now, so what is the rush?

My favorite is not having to explain to others since loss isn't dramatic (yet) With lapband I lost weight very quickly and people at work were concerned about me thinking that I was ill or maybe dying. I'll never forget one division called me into their area and so very carefully asked if I was sick and if I was OK. WOW! jake

I'm searching this site because I'm a band to sleeve convert. My conversion was April 6. I've lost 32 pounds according to scale this morning. I'm frustrated because the scale has been stuck (within 2 pounds) for about 6 weeks. At this point, I do think it will be slower but I also know that I need to take some accountability. I need to up my exercise AND I need to watch my food more closely - not the amount really but the type ... ground beef, tuna, shredded chicken - all good protein-wise but not chunky enough to stick with me. Baby carrots have become my comparison "tool" as they are really filling & stay with me a good amount of time. Also, I've found I need some crunch. So - I'm still looking for the solution to that need (except for vegs). I will say that I have only overdone it about 3 times ... cause it is miserable! Not like band stick miserable ... more like "I just had a whole Thanksgiving dinner" but it was only 1/2 cup. I'm struggling with eye/head hunger & the correlation of the Tiny Tummy. So, I'll just Keep Calm & Learn on! :)

Thanks for the post Deerfield. From what I've read there is usually a big loss after a stall like your having. Fingers crossed for you.

That is very true, I asked my surgeon on Friday if stalls in between a good loss is normal. He said absolutely. I also asked him about the possiblity of sleeven ( my sleeve ) being a bit bigger since I am a convert from lap-band. His answer was that for some patients that is a possibilty but in my case it is not. He said he made it nice and tight as a non revision patients would be. So that means that some days Sleeven is hungry and allows a little more than half cup of food. Other days he only wants a bite or two. Both perfectly normal .. :)

I had my revision 4 weeks ago today on 6/30 and I've lost 23 pounds since my then. Before surgery I was having a hard time keeping anything down prior to surgery due to all of the problems with my band so for the last month before surgery I did a mostly liquid diet with some sort of a chicken meal each night. I lost 20 pounds on that before my surgery. So, since the last week of May/first week of June I've lost 46 pounds.

Honestly, on a day to day basis my weight loss feels so slow, but when I sit back and look at what I've done in so little time it feels amazing. Whether anyone loses 20 or 30 or 40 pounds in the first few months, I don't think they should feel bad about that. It's an amazing accomplishment. What I always tell myself is would I have been able to do this without the surgery? I'm not sure that I could. I definitely wouldn't have stuck to that diet for a month. Having my surgery date as a end point really helped me and now that I've done it I can definitely feel the change in my cravings and physical and emotional hunger.

I've been reading the main sleeve forums and they all seem to be losing very quickly (i.e. 40 pounds the first 3 months). But when I read the band to sleeve forums it seems like we are all losing a lot more slowly (i.e. 20 pounds in 3 months). Do you all find that too? I'm just curious what kind of weight loss to expect right off. My surgery is August 3rd.

Hi Tazwella,

I see that your starting weight was about the same as mine so I thought I'd chime in. At 248lbs, I had my band to sleeve revision in March. I am down 51 lbs since then. I lost the most in the first 6 weeks, since then its been a steady 1.5 lb loss each week. It might sound slow, but I couldn't be happier with my results. I started out at a size 20 and yesterday I bought a size 14 dress. It's snug, but it fits!! Even if i only lose 1 pound a week, that's still another 50lbs in the next year. Which sounds amazing to me!

So my advise is stay off the scale and let the clothes do the talking. Try not to weight yourself more than once a week or every other week. As long as you stick to the plan, your body will do what its supposed to. It might take a bit longer than other surgeries, but you will still get there!

My revision was the best decision I ever made. No regrets whatsoever! I think you'll love it too!

I have lost 22 lbs in 6 weeks with the revision surgery.I love the sleeve vs the band.I dont feel sick all the time like somebody strangling me.When I had the band it usually takes 2 fills to start seeing results.I was losing 1 lb a week.The huge wight loss you saw in people with the band needed to lose alot more weight and it came off quicker for them.The people that had the revision surgery most of them had some weight loss so it might be slower in the begining

Hi, Im new to this forum. I had band to sleeve revision July 9th at bmi of 30. I dont know how my doc got the insurance approved. I lost 11 pounds in the first 2 weeks and thats it. Im trying not to be discouraged but granted I have just 30 pounds more to lose I wouldnt care if I saw a pound a week loss. Im seeing nothing

I lost weight faster after revision than I had with the band.

I just had a revision from band to sleeve 17 days ago. I have lost 26 pounds, which is faster than my weight loss with the band. However, my rapid loss is due to reflux which has plagued me from day one post op. Hiccups are very irritating and getting proper calories/protein is a problem. My Dr. says it just takes time and is complicated by a large hiatal hernia repair.

Patrick, It does get better. At first, I had to take a Pepsid AC 1-2 times a day. Almost 4 months out and I'll take one once or twice a week depending on what type of spicy foods I eat. I kind of know when I will need one, before I eat, it's weird. Getting proper calories and Protein is difficult for everyone at first, but, then gets easier as you progress. I also had a hiatal hernia repaired when I got the band and remember not being able to eat much at and I also lost weight extremely rapidly at first. I don't recall any hiccups though, but, then both surgeries are very different. If you don't already, you will feel weak until you start eating more solids. Hang in there. jake