Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalled at two weeks out..

So I was sleeved June 23rd. My starting weight was 346, I lost 18 pounds on my two week pre op, so surgery weight was 328. Exactly a week and 1 day out of surgery I lost down to 314, and my scale has not moved since, and I am now two weeks and two days post op. I can't really get my Protein in since whey and dairy makes me so sick, but I've been trying to get in liquids and the occasional Greek yogurt (like 1 per day).

I'm not really sure what to do and it feels like I am failing already, and with my high start weight this slow loss does not seem promising. Has anyone else experienced this? How did you break your stall when you can't have anything but Protein Shakes and yogurt?

Thanks!

Here is what you should do:

1. Keep following your program

2. Stay. Off. The. Scale!

Your body is going to go through pauses, adjustments, stalls, stutters, and worse throughout the weight loss process. If fourteen pounds in two weeks is going to be a "slow start" for you and make you anxious and feel like you are failing, you need to stay away from the scale, because I have news for you: I doubt you will ever lose 14 lbs in 2 weeks again. It won't be predictable, it won't be steady, it will probably never feel like it is fast enough. It is perfectly okay to just weigh in at your doctor's office as long as you are confident that you are following your program correctly.

@@xxjosettexx - Bufflehead is dead on with her statement. some will lose real fast and have the same surgery date, start weight, gender, height, etc as you - you will get FRUSTRATED.

@@Bufflehead - as usual - like @@Babbs &@ @LipstickLady you are 100% telling her the truth!

Edited by jane13

I "stalled" between weeks 1 and 3. Simply put, I decided not to worry about it.

I'm losing again. More slowly, to be sure, but who cares? It's happening and I'm doing everything I should be doing.

If WLS is truly a positive step in my life, I'm not going to introduce needless negativity. Radical self-acceptance or bust!! :)

Wishing you well on your journey.

I suppose I should disregard the scale for the time being, and just focus on my daily goals. It is so hard though, It just has some sort of hold over me, which is terrible. And self acceptance is just hard when your image of yourself has been negative your entire life (but I'm working on it in counseling). Not to mention I have my parents breathing down my neck to know exactly how much I've lost to see if their "investment" is paying off.

I suppose I should disregard the scale for the time being, and just focus on my daily goals. It is so hard though, It just has some sort of hold over me, which is terrible. And self acceptance is just hard when your image of yourself has been negative your entire life (but I'm working on it in counseling). Not to mention I have my parents breathing down my neck to know exactly how much I've lost to see if their "investment" is paying off.

If you are old enough to have this surgery then you are old enough to set some boundaries with your parents. I am 50 and I decided to not share numbers with family. I did tell my mom how much I lost after my first post-op appointment but told her and other family members that I would not be sharing the numbers going forward.

Look at alternate ways to get in Protein. Puree a poached chicken breast, thin with broth. That's high Protein, a liquid and filling. Think outside the box. Also know that those of us with higher BMI's will quite literally have to work our butts off. Have you called your nutritionist about this?

The scale is not your friend. I weighed myself only when I went to the doctor's for the first 6mths. For me that was 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 mths and monthly after that. I did a LOT of reading and research on healthy eating, and I spend a LOT of time exploring ways to get in exercise. I walked when that was all I could do. I did low level weight lifting. I got my bike serviced and ride that occasionally, I took a dance class. I started reading labels and changing the foods I eat.

Brain storm, my dear. Do not look at what you can't eat, think about what you can and how to enhance the amount of protein you can get.

If you are old enough to have this surgery then you are old enough to set some boundaries with your parents. I am 50 and I decided to not share numbers with family. I did tell my mom how much I lost after my first post-op appointment but told her and other family members that I would not be sharing the numbers going forward.

I've decided not to share my numbers, either. It's an empowering decision for me.

Finding and celebrating your true worth is the hardest and best work you will ever do. Self acceptance is hard, is possible, and is absolutely priceless. {{Hugs}}

You may have reached The Dreaded Week-3 Stall a little early. It's perfectly normal, and just about all of us have suffered through it. You're not crazy, and your doctor didn't screw up. In fact, you might not lose any weight for two weeks or even longer. But don't worry – after that, the pounds will start falling off if you stick to your program. And, the inches will continue to come off even while the scale isn't budging. Here's a good article that explains why it happens and why we all have to go through it. Hang in there. Pretty soon it'll be in the rear-view mirror and you'll be dropping weight again!

(Apologies to BP regulars who have seen this repeatedly, but it's a big deal to those who are going through it!)

There ought to be some god of Weight Loss that we can throw darts at or beat with our fists. I am in my fifth week and had a 8 day stall at 2 weeks, lost 4 pounds and have been at another 8 day stall at 4-5 weeks. Really would like to kick someone. This is where I am and I can't get my old stomach back (why would I want it anyway) so I'll keep pulling my big girl (literally( panties up and follow program.

I've decided not to share my numbers, either. It's an empowering decision for me.

I quoted you in my journal last week. You are a great motivator! You said, "shame weighs more than anything you ate." At that moment in my journey what you said to someone else on this forum helped me. I search for your comment. You never tear anyone down, and you help them to get up. You are a great friend to others. I pray that when you get down someone can help you.

Warm affection,

sequau@me.com

That was for closertofine.

I am 3 weeks post op and have not lost a single pound over the last few days but I'm not worried. I was prepared for the 3 week stall so I am just sticking to the plan and enjoying the changes that I am noticing in my body. We will both move past this stage and continue losing. Stay positive and follow ur plan and you will do great!