Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what do you take for arthritis pain?

I am 15 days post-op. I used to take Dicloenec. The pain in my knees is keeping me from walking much or doing much. Tylenol does not do much. Does anyone have any ideas for me? I am going to make an appointment with an orthopedic. I want to enjoy this time of recovery, and instead I am discouraged. I'd appreciate your ideas.

My weight is coming off nicely but my knee pain still holds me back, I'm thinking of going back for the injections, but the other day I took some Celebrex that my wife has now since it wasn't helping much, and combined with the recent weight Loss it made a huge difference, I was a lot more mobile and the pain was manageable

Edited by laguerr13

Surgeon gave me prescription for Tramadol but my regular doctor thinks I can exist on tylenol. I can hardly get out of bed in the morning. Once I start moving it gets better but sure would like my aleve back.

Celebrex is an NSAID. Be sure you discuss the use with your surgeon. You don't want to get an ulcer or bleed. My doctor allows me some liquid hydrocodine prn for my knee pain.

I never took anything for my arthritis pain. What I did was start taking Water aerobics. I had 2 steroid shots in my left knee and 6mths after Water aerobics that knee no longer hurt. The right knee was a little more tricky. It didn't respond to the steroid shots. Th pain kept returning and I didn't want to get injections every month in order to manage the pain. I got a different type of injection. It took 3 sessions over the course of 3mths but the upswing is the shot is supposed to last 4 years. I found out that if I went for a walk after the injection, the pain from the needle went away and it felt like it helped the medicine work faster. I was never bone on bone nor did I have issues with Fluid on my knees. My doctor agreed to it because he saw the progress I was making in my weight loss and also the increased range of motion the water aerobics has helped me to achieve.

I take ibuprofen every day, and have since I was 6 weeks post op.

Do you get your liver checked regularly? Ibuprofen is not good for ongoing use like that. It can cause liver damage.

I was told no ibruprofen and no aleve. Occasional use later on

I still take Diclophenac. My surgeon says that taking NSAIDs isn't as big a deal for sleeve patients vs bypass. He said I could take it unless I started having stomach issues. Have you directly asked your surgeon about taking an anti-inflammatory given your situation? If not, do so and see what he says.

Another different in surgeons. Mine said that taking NSAIDS can seriously damage your stomach and will not let me take the Voltaren any longer or Advil. I now have the Voltaren gel for my knees and I also get shots every 6 months.

Do you get your liver checked regularly? Ibuprofen is not good for ongoing use like that. It can cause liver damage.

It's not good for a lot of things, unfortunately. It's mostly bad for your kidneys, and lately, I've been reading that it can cause strokes and heart attacks. Nothing is benign. It would be great to never need any medication, OTC or otherwise. My labs are good, though. Thanks for asking:)