Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm looking for tips on how you all get in Protein - particularly how you get to a goal of 70-80g a day. I am supposed to eat 3 meals a day, no snacking. I'm in soft foods now but eventually those three meals should be solid, dense food. I also am supposed to aim for 1 Protein shake a day.

I can't see how, with the small amount I can eat at meals, that I can get 80 grams in... Unless I *just* eat protein rich foods and nothing else, which doesn't sound that appealing. Before surgery, I barely ate meat. Now, I feel like that has to be 95% of my diet!

There are other foods high in Protein too. cheese, yogurt. To name a few. I'm having the same issues, but I talked to my NUT, and you can help by adding unflavored Protein powder to things like yogurt, cottage cheese, V8 juice etc.

I am only required to get in 50-60 grams a day, and 700-800 calories. I'm not supposed to be on shakes anymore. They don't want us dependent on them for our Protein needs. I'm not even close to goal in the calorie dept, I get about 400 calories in daily, and about 10-20 grams short of protein on any given day. A person can only eat so much with this tiny pouch. LOL

Wishing you luck!

That's true about other foods. I just feel as though if I actually wanted to meet my goal for Protein, I would need to eat things with the highest amount.... most cheese has 7g (I hate cottage cheese, unfortunately), whereas steak has has double that in the same amount of oz. I have been having a greek yogurt snack each day to get in an extra 9-14g.

I also unfortunately hate the taste/consistency of unflavored Protein in things, but I guess I should keep trying to find something to mix it with that's bearable.

I did read after I posted this that getting a normal level of protein at this stage really isn't possible. So maybe the answer is really to just aim as high as you can and not stress too much about it. I'm looking forward to be adding things like nuts back in - that will also make it easier.

I drink a Protein Shake for breakfat. I use two scoops of unflavored Isopure power (52 grams) and 1 can of pure Protein (35 grams) with stevia sweetner and ice. I then eat whatever protein I feel like during the day without worrying about my protein intake.

My best friend is a pharmacist and told me about beneprotein. It's a little package of unflavoured Protein already measured out. I add it to my Greek yogurt in the morning and sometimes to sugar free pudding. I got very sick during my pre-op phase and was only on Protein Shakes, now I can't stomach any of the protein shakes but this powder is at least tolerable. I find it very difficult to get in my quota of protein too but have been mixing cottage cheese on my Soups etc.. Doing the best I can :) looking forward to seeing some ideas too!

As your volume increases, the amount of Protein you consume from meals increases. I am up to a cup per meal and derive about 65 grams a day from my meals alone. I went from 3 Protein shakes a day, down to 2, down to 1 and then eventually down to none. I eat homemade high protein chili and Soups. I have included some of the recipes in the attached link. These have about twice the protein content as store bought chili and soups.

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Also in time you will be able to transition to Protein Bars as a supplement which come in handy when you are on the go.

Thanks, James! I'll check the recipes out.

James, I just read your story, and it is so detailed and helpful. Thank you for sharing that along with your recipes. I am going to have to try several of them, as I love chili and soups! Thank you again!!!

Beans also have lots of Protein. I'm finally able to eat nuts. Avocados have protein. I have found that keeping in a Protein Shake helps or a Protein Bar. I prefer premiere shakes and Quest bars. I can't stomach steaks or dense meats. So that rules out protein from those sources. Good luck to you, I know you will get there.

Three Protein Shakes a day,

Isopure makes a clear liquid Protein drink. It has about 140 calories and 40 grams of Protein in 20 oz!! I add a little Mio or crystal light and Water to it to mask the aftertaste. I try to drink one of those throughout the day.

My surgery was in late April and I'm only eating about 4-500 calories and can reach 60 grams of protein a day, but adding the Isopure is really helpful!

FYI, I asked my NUT about just adding more Protein powder to drink in the morning and she said you can only absorb 25-30 g protein per hour so loading up on all your protein in one drink doesn't work u less you were to take at least 2 hours (for a 50 g protein drink) to drink it.

Great info TY!