Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m an APPLE CIDER VINEGAR JUNKIE!

I’ve been reading quite a few discouraging and sad stories of failed weight loss from post op patients on this site lately. Heck, I may have not even chose surgery after reading some of these personal accounts of gaining all the weight back or not losing weight despite exercise and 700 calories a day.

In a reaction to this, I’ve decided to share something all natural I’ve been doing that has helped me get to goal and maintain it. You may take this with a grain of salt because I’m only 9 months post op and not a medical professional. Actually, I would speak to one first before you give something like this a try.

My fondness of apple cider vinegar began in college 17 years ago after reading a newspaper article boasting the benefits of vinegar consumption on weight loss and health. I wasn’t obese at the time, but I did want to lose 10 pounds before swimsuit season. The article recommended 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of Water before each meal and/or between meals.

What does Apple Cider Vinegar do for weight loss? Many believe that the nutrients, enzymes, and organic acids in apple cider vinegar cause weight reduction by acting as an appetite suppressant, by increasing your body's metabolic rate, by reducing water retention, and by helping you maintain a feeling of well being. There is much research backing these claims, especially the claim that drinking apple cider vinegar with a meal reduces the amount of insulin required to process a meal resulting in weight loss.

Fast forward to 6 months post op, which is when I begin to feel an increased capacity/appetite, and my desire to add the Apple Cider Vinegar to my diet once again seems logical.

Not wanting to damage my sleeve, I got my doctors consent before trying it again. This time, I decided not to drink it straight or mix it with water. I just simply added it to my vegetables 2-3 times a day or a glass of V8 juice. My daily consumption equals ¼-1/2 cup.

Since adding the Apple Cider Vinegar three months ago, I have steadily lost 3-5 pounds a week without any stalls. I will continue using the ACV to maintain weight and feel good.

There is a lot of information on the web about Apple Cider Vinegar benefits and usage. It is important to get apple cider vinegar that is made from the double fermentation of whole apples and it should not be distilled, filtered or pasteurized. These extra processing steps destroy many of the Vitamins, nutrients and fermentation products that are thought to be important elements in apple cider vinegar's health benefits and weight loss properties.

This is NOT something that is going to dramatically help you lose weight. It is just one strategy I use in addition to strictly following the bariatric guidelines. My decision to post this was to help those that feel like they have tried absolutely everything.

Edited by WL WARRIOR

What kind do you use?

Thank you for the information. I am going to give it a try!! :)

Apple cider vinegar can reduce the effectiveness of some Rx medications. Likewise, some people have medical conditions that ACV therapy will make worse. Therefore, please google well / ask your PCP about those meds for which ACV is contraindicated.

Every substance we ingest to help ourselves can have OTHER effects than the reason(s) for which we decide to ingest them. Meds, foods, herbs don't typically do just ONE thing to our bodies. Their effects are usually more complex than that.

When you say you put it on your vegetables? Does that mean AFTER they've been cooked? You don't cook with ACV do you?

Thanks

I’ve been reading quite a few discouraging and sad stories of failed weight loss from post op patients on this site lately. Heck, I may have not even chose surgery after reading some of these personal accounts of gaining all the weight back or not losing weight despite exercise and 700 calories a day.

In a reaction to this, I’ve decided to share something all natural I’ve been doing that has helped me get to goal and maintain it. You may take this with a grain of salt because I’m only 9 months post op and not a medical professional. Actually, I would speak to one first before you give something like this a try.

My fondness of apple cider vinegar began in college 17 years ago after reading a newspaper article boasting the benefits of vinegar consumption on weight loss and health. I wasn’t obese at the time, but I did want to lose 10 pounds before swimsuit season. The article recommended 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of Water before each meal and/or between meals.

What does Apple Cider Vinegar do for weight loss? Many believe that the nutrients, enzymes, and organic acids in apple cider vinegar cause weight reduction by acting as an appetite suppressant, by increasing your body's metabolic rate, by reducing water retention, and by helping you maintain a feeling of well being. There is much research backing these claims, especially the claim that drinking apple cider vinegar with a meal reduces the amount of insulin required to process a meal resulting in weight loss.

Fast forward to 6 months post op, which is when I begin to feel an increased capacity/appetite, and my desire to add the Apple Cider Vinegar to my diet once again seems logical.

was to help those that feel like they have tried absolutely everything.

I only put it on fresh vegetables. I'm sure you could put it on cooked vegetables, but I just don't eat much cooked veggies in the summer. I've never cooked anything with vinegar. I'm sure that messes with the effectiveness in some way.

VSGAnn2014,

You are right about it effecting medications. I know grapefruit juice does as well, so it must have something to do with the acidity. I'm always careful to take my medications at least 3-4 hours before eating foods or drinking ACV. As you said, its important to do your own research and seek doctors approval before beginning an ACV regimen.

You can get organic, raw, unfiltered, apple cider vinegar in most health food stores. Bragg makes a good apple cider vinegar that many people use for health, weight loss, detox, and skin . Go to www.bragg.com

Although I've never taken the pills, many people swear by them. Just check the label to be sure the pills are a close replacement of the real thing.

49fa4f42-dbfe-440b-906a-e8ad151b306b.jpg

Here's a popular one that many like to use. It was formulated by a doctor and made specifically to reap the most benefits as possible. Its also won many awards by food and health magazines. You can get 15% off on your order when you sign up for an account.

http://www.bragg.com/products/bragg-organic-apple-cider-vinegar.html

Go here for a free sample if you would like to try before ordering:

http://bragg.com/samples/samples_23146.php

BRAGG APPLE CIDER VINEGAR BROCHURE:

http://bragg.com/products/PDFs/ACV%20_Brochure.pdf

acv.jpg

I've found the Bragg brand at all 3 grocery stores in my town, including Wal-Mart.

LOVE Braggs and yes I do cook with it. I use it in my vegan collard greens. I also drink it as a shot, in Water, in salads and cold dishes. I even occasionally wash my hair with it.

Oh yeah, I also use it to get rid of fruit flies. 1 tsp of dish detergent in a quarter cup of ACV in a small container will attract the flies. The soap makes them unable to fly back out of if.

What does it do for your hair?

LOVE Braggs and yes I do cook with it. I use it in my vegan collard greens. I also drink it as a shot, in Water, in salads and cold dishes. I even occasionally wash my hair with it.

Does it remove residue and buildup in your hair? My hairdresser said I had a build up from using Herbal Essence Shampoo. I was looking for some deep cleanse to remove it, but maybe the ACV would to the trick. Do you add it with anything? Do you let it sit awhile before rinsing?