Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've heard that you can have dumping syndrome with the sleeve. Has anyone experienced that and what caused it?

Never

I have had it once and it is pure misery. Sugar alcohols triggered mine. I stay away from them like the plague.

I have had it once with Poutine , that was a combo of a bunch of things that aren't best for us. (Frenchfries, rich gravy, cheese & bacon. I was 4 months post op. It started out sweats then vomiting in a hurry. Once it was out of my system I was fine.

I have suffered from dumping syndrome for 5+ years.

It sucks.

For me personally it is caused by too much sugar, caffeine in coffee (but not red bull .... go figure) too much lactose.

I have done an elimination diet to find my trigger foods. After 30 days of bland, basic foods and 2 months of re introduction I have found that almost everything I eat is a negative trigger food (for my body personally)

I'd rather eat amazing food and limit my sugar intake and $h!t it out in 20 minutes than eat bland cardboard food, fake dairy and seafood all the time.

D.S is a constant battle for me and I am hoping with the surgery, 85% less of a stomach, less food intake the dumping syndrome will cease for me. This is partially why I am getting the surgery. Not that my BMI is super high (33-34 depending on the week) or that some website says I am severely obese (which is crap!) but because I want to HAVE to hold less food in my body. I don't want my body to say good bye food, hello toilet and stomach cramping ANYMORE !

No , and my doctor said its not going to happen with the sleeve

But I wish if I get it to stop me from sweets if I ate it

I have experienced it. When I tried frozen yogurt and coffee. I choose to stay away from both.

I wish. Lol. Unfortunately everything seems to agree with my new tummy. I might also add though that I really haven't tested the waters too much. I haven't eaten anything sugary or fatty so I guess it could happen

I suffered once when I tried a skinny caramel macchiato drink from Starbuck's grocery store coffees. Immediate running to the bathroom. Ever since, no. Usually when something is too sweet or made incorrectly, I can tell right away and stop eating/drinking it. This one snuck up on me. But that was all :)

I stick with unsweetened iced Starbuck's grocery store coffees and SF syrups now.

Edited by LadyRouge

Dumping is not fun. I have it as a result of gallbladder surgery many years ago. Sweats, shakes and uncontrollable and eventually undeniable urge to use the bathroom. I would get this regardless of what I ate and it would almost always happen at lunch (since I would rarely eat breakfast).

Mine has been controlled by a medicine called Cholestyramine.

I haven't experienced dumping with the sleeve yet and I haven't restarted my Cholestyramine either. I did have diarrhea several times after my leak test because of the barium/gastrografin cocktails. Yuck.

I guess I can understand dumping as a deterrent to eating poorly, if it only resulted from one type of food. For me, that wasn't the case and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Edited by no onions

I don't know if I have had true dumping but sweet drinks have caused my to get sweaty and crampy. I think dairy may be playing a role, although I can handle yogurt, cheeses without issue!

Anything over 8 grams of sugar or 10 grams of carbs cause me to dump also fat free milk I dump. I now make home made almond milk

Too much watermellon 2 days ago.

I figured it was basically Water. WRONG!

I honestly thought I was either going to die or pass out. The cramps and sweats were enough to land me in the bathroom for about an hour.

I had lost 2 lbs walking out of that bathroom.

I'm still not fully recovered from it.

Whoever says dumping with the sleeve is a myth, I dare you to try it.