Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 short dizzy spells, a little scared

I'm exactly 3 weeks post RNY and the dr and nutritionist say I am doing great (need to keep increasing my protein). Last night in bed I turned over to continue reading my kindle and had @ 15 seconds of extreme dizziness and not being able to focus on the book, then I was fine. This afternoon after my nutritionist appt I went into the grocery store and on the way in, had to stop in the parking lot because I became dizzy and thought I was going to fall. It only lasted about 10 seconds.....I attribute that one to not have eaten soon enough, went in a bought some yogurt. When I came home, my husband took my blood pressure and it was 123/69 which everyone says is okay.

Just wondering if anyone else has had these incidents, if it is dangerous, or somewhat normal? Just a little scared.

Thanks for listening. I hope you can shed some possibilities on this.

At this stage I started having dizzy spells because I wasn't eating enough carbs. Had the same problem on the preop diet. My family doc prescribed a glucose meter to track my levels and adjust diet accordingly. So ask if that's needed.

Thanks, I will

At 5 months I still have problems. I've learned to be very careful. At 2 months I got out of bed to go to the bathroom, passed out and banged my head of the floor hard enough to have a headache for two days. I get a lot of calories so I think it's low blood pressure. I've read that when you lose weight the vessels are still dilated to support the weight and it can make you dizzy. Drinking LOTs of Water and taking B12 has helped the most. For me it wasn't a blood sugar issue.

Be careful. Always get up slowly.

Edited by GeekMomChanging

Some people who have RNY experience episodes of low blood sugar "hypoglycemia". The symptoms are:

lightheadedness or dizziness

blurred/impaired vision

rapid heartbeat
tingling or numbness in lips or tongue
sudden mood changes
sudden nervousness
confusion
unexplained weakness or fatigue
pale skin
headache
hunger
shaking
sweating, chills and clamminess
difficulty sleeping
trouble thinking clearly or concentrating
loss of consciousness
To correct this condition at the onset, take one of the following:
a half cup of fruit juice
8 ounces of milk
2 tablespoons of raisins
1 tablespoon of honey
4 or 5 saltine crackers
3 or 4 pieces of hard candy or glucose tablets
If you are experiencing this condition, it is important to learn to recognize your symptoms and treat them fast.

I get lightheaded if I standup too quickly, but my blood pressure has always been really low, like 85 over 55

I have been having similar episodes for over a month now. I am post op 9 months from WLS but recently (5weeks ago) had spinal surgery and this began right after that.

They happen the exactly the way you describe and I have actually passed out once since it began. I did see a cardiologist who believes it is actually my adrenal system that is out of whack following surgery.

What happens is when resting your heart rate is low and when you stand up from either sitting or laying, You get very dizzy, the room turns black and you can even pass out from it. And your heart starts racing to equalize or right yourself.

He told me to make sure I am drinking fluids like crazy, dehydration will make this worse. So far I am drinking nearly 80 ounces of Water per day. It has not helped at all.

I am trying to get in to see an endocrinologist who can help with my adrenal system but it has been impossible finding one in my area.