Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the gastric bypass still most popular? How’s the sleeve doing as it’s no longer quite so new? Are you a die-hard band fan? Are you interested in knowing which types of weight loss surgery are most popular? Of course you are! And I have the latest information from the U.S.!

I got these numbers through ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery). Here are the highlights…

In 2014, there were 193,000 total weight loss surgeries. Of these:

• 26.8% were Gastric Bypass.
  • 9.5% were Gastric Band.
  • 51.7% were GastricSleeve.
  • 11.5% were Revisions.
  • And less than 1% were other (including BPD-DS).

Compare that to 2011, when there were 158,000 total surgeries. Of these:

• 36.7% were Gastric Bypass.
  • 35.4% were Gastric Band.
  • 17.8% were Gastric Sleeve.
  • 6% were Revisions.
  • 3.2% were Other.
  • And 0.9% were BPD-DS.

Sleeve is up! Band is down! What do you think? How did you make your choice? Are you having second thoughts as you try to decide? If you already had surgery, do you wish you knew then what you know now?

I had gastric bypass November 2014. I've since lost 100 pounds and am 30 to goal. I choose gastric bypass based on results of people I know. I never heard of the sleeve until my consultation but was already set on the bypass.

I underwent my bariatric surgery through the University of Missouri Bariatric Center in Columbia, Missouri last October. Of the 17 patients that had bariatric surgery in October, there were only 2 (one of those being me) that chose the sleeve. The rest chose gastric bypass.

We were given the choice of band, bypass, or sleeve, but the Bariatrcian was most accustomed to working with bypass patients. So, during the first consultation, all his information and facts about past patient success centered around the gastric bypass procedure. Hence, that is why most patients made it their surgery of choice. The same goes for me, but I changed my mind two weeks before surgery because I was paranoid about my medications not absorbing correctly now or when I'm 70.

Once I changed my mind to VSG, many of the other pre op bypass patients asked why I didn't want to lose a lot of weight. It still seems like most (including those in the medical field) in my area believe that bypass is the way to go if you want to lose the most weight. According to the data presented by the OP, that notion may be changing.

It's also interesting to note here that, as a sleeve patient, I lost 140 pounds and got to goal in 8 months. I lost faster and more overall weight than the bypass patients that attend our post op bariatric meetings. In time, newer research will probably show that sleeve patients can lose just as much or more than bypass patients.

Edited by WL WARRIOR

I had bypass.

A sister had sleeve and never made goal. Reading boards, I sensed more people had eating complications with sleeve. Also preferred having the remains of my stomach stay with me, in case it's needed down the line.

Two other family members had bands, one of whom's is failing now. While they both had success... I didn't want to me married to having fills and unfills sudden the line.

My only concern with bypass wad hair loss. I've already list ~70 percent of my hair... Losing more wasn't an option at first. Since I was already living with Hair loss, I figured I'd stick with that evil I knew. I also had to own certain truths I know about my body, how I recover and handle medicine and pain. Lumped all those thoughts together and bypass came out on top.

I'm happy with my sleeve, I don't wish for anything else. :)

So I have a couple of opinions on WLS in general. I personally have the band and that was my choice. My opinion about WLS is that there is too much "choice" and often it's put all on the patient that no matter how much research they do is still not a medical expert. There isn't enough understanding, testing or exploration done by the Dr.'s to recommend the best choice for the patient when it comes to WLS.

For just about every other surgery, there is a gambit of testing pertaining to the surgery itself to identify and justify the best surgery required. For example if I am having pain in my knee, I might see an orthopedist who recommends surgery but what type of surgery is needed? Should it be a full replacement? Should it be a partial? Do I need simply some cleaning around the joint for scar tissue? They take into account many things perform various tests like range of motion, MRI, CT scans etc. before they decide on the type of surgery. I feel that this analysis is missing when it comes to WLS.

Today I can tell you in all confidence that I know more about WLS and the different types of WLS than my Primary Dr. does as well as my cardiologist and many other Dr.'s I know. With more education not just on what's working but why it's working on certain patients vs other patients I believe we could and would all be that much more successful.

I'm going with the sleeve as it's what my surgeon recommends for me and I trust his advice, he will not do bands. Another reason I'm getting the sleeve is I have cousins who got it done so I have that support from people who will know what I've gone through.

Hi:

I am pre-op. If my insurance approves my surgery (BCBS of AL) I will most likely get a surgery date in Sept. My BMI is 42 now, but my insurance requires a BMI of 35 plus co-morbidities for 3 years or 40+ for 3 years. My BMI has not been high enough long enough, however I have been on a CPAP for 5 years. BCBS of AL says that the results of your sleep study must be "severe sleep apnea" my results 5 years ago were moderate, but my BMI was 33 not 42. I was also required to do the 6 mo. check ins with my PCP BUT my question is not about coverage.

I am struggling with which surgery to choose. I am hoping that someone out there might be able to provide a bit of guidance. I have struggled with compulsive eating for most of my life, like so many I have tried EVERY diet out there. I have lost and regained 100s of pounds. I am very educated about nutrition. I have also invested a lot of time in therapy to address the compulsive overeating. I am leaning toward the bypass because it has been around for so long and because the dumping seems like it might be a tool for me (please let me know your thoughts). I am drawn to sweets and carbs when I am under stress. However, the sleeve is less invasive and it might be nice to be able to take NSAIDs when I am older - if arthritis etc. is an issue.

I have a family history of GERD and Barrett's esophagus - another reason that I am leaning toward the bypass. I am a mother of 3 and again, like so many, I am afraid that by choosing the bypass I am choosing a riskier surgery. However, I want this surgery to be successful, and I want to avoid revision. I am a very compliant patient. I am not especially worried about giving up certain foods etc. I just want to get healthy and active and to be really present in my own life and in the lives of my husband and family. Thanks!

The seminar that I attended actually went over all 3 procedures and at the appointment with the surgeon they listen to what procedure you are thinking of and give their opinion what is best for you. Mine happens to be GSV.

In other words speak with your surgeon. They will point you in the right direction and help you make the right choice.

Lisacaron,

Those are some great points! I’m not surprised to hear you’re more of an expert on WLS than your primary care doctor or cardiologist. You’ve spent years now researching WLS and living WLS, while general doctors may have had a class in med school on WLS, or maybe they even went to school before WLS was mainstream. On top of that, you’re very much invested in WLS – it’s very personal. You want very much to know the amount of weight loss to expect, the possible risks, the pros and cons of each type. (And when I say, “you,” I mean, “all of us who are in your boat!”).

I do agree it would be nice to have better answers given to us by our doctors, but they just don’t know. I see your point about knee surgery, but even that hasn’t been perfected. I know a lot of people with knee problems. So I think it’s not only a question of doctors doing their due diligence by learning the current knowledge and evaluating pre-op WLS patients better, but also a question of time as the research continues to give us answers.

CCHeather,

It sounds like you are really doing your homework about your options. In addition to asking on the forums about why BariatricPal members chose the surgeries they did, another next step might be to start looking for a surgeon. You might be able to find one or a few whom you trust, and who can give you more guidance and insights. Good luck!

When I started even thinking that WLS MIGHT be an option for me, bypass was still the predominant surgery. I was never interested in the band, and definitely not interested in bypass.

Not until I heard about the sleeve did I start seriously considering WLS. I am so glad I had the sleeve. I lucked into an excellent surgeon and outstanding bariatric program and couldn't be happier with my decision.

For people who want their doctors to tell them exactly which surgery to choose, medicine doesn't work that way. You and your medical professionals have to work together to weigh all the benefits, drawbacks, risks, and rewards.

I'm pretty happy with the sleeve.. although I'm still in the honeymoon stage.. sometimes I wonder if I should have went with the RNY. I know a few people who had them, and a couple have gained their weight back with RNY though, and I wanted an easier recovery, and didn't want malabsorption issues.

My doc was an expert but recommended the gastric bypass that my wife got over the sleeve. He thought I couldn't lose the weight on the sleeve as well as the bypass. What he did not see was the rage against fat that was burning inside of me. After my sleeve I attacked the fat like it was my worst enemy, dedicated to lifelong fitness, and had no mercy. The fat came off.

All WLS will work for you if you make it work.