Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you motivate and reward yourself?

So I started this at my highest weight ever of 337lbs. My ultimate goal is to be in the healthy BMI range and no longer need cpap (if I'm lucky). I think I need to set mini-goals on the way there.

What kinds of things have you all done?

My current weight is 289 lbs and I'm thinking the following --

1. First consecutive 4 weeks of going to the gym: live theater tickets. I love to go but the seats had become uncomfortable.

2. Hitting 237 lbs - I'm a gadget person and I really want an Apple Watch. Maybe tennis lessons?

3. Below 200 lbs - I'm thinking some kind of vacation. Maybe tropical and beachy?

In the past I might have used food as a motivator. That obviously doesn't work for me!

I've created a monster, lol. Clothes, shoes, mannies, pedi's....did I mention clothes??

When you can finally wear the cute stuff in the "normal" size section, shopping becomes kind of a....ahem....problem. So now I only use it as a reward for my little victories.

So I'm sure I'm going to have to do something similar with clothes because when I get into the normal range I'm going to destroy my wallet with one or two short trips to the Macy's designer section. I'm going to try to wait until my weight is stable though just so I can wear them for a while. I'm also really looking forward to being at a place where I can travel again - I LOOOOOVEEE traveling and as my diet still mostly consists of Protein drinks and other things that have gone through a blender I'm hesitant to even try for another few months.

I'm still really early days with this only having been sleeved 3 weeks ago, but for me my motivation hasn't ever been weight loss per se. I decided to do this after an uncle died. He had been overweight and had diabetes and heart problems and one day he had a ventral fibrillation and collapsed on his way to see friends. By the time he was resuscitated he had suffered massive cortical brain death from the lack of oxygen. It really affected me because I found myself identifying with him and seeing his death as my future. He was alone and unhappy and felt undeserving of love (though there were so many people who truly loved him). His health was poor but he had been unable to find the self love to do what was needed to get healthy.... He had left what he had to his nieces and nephews, not having children of his own, and I decided to use what he left me to not just get healthier but to deal with the emotional issues we had in common and find a way to be happy and like myself.

I'm not so much focused on the numbers at this point (though I totally check the scale regularly) because I know for me as I lose weight the attention I get will actually make me miserable and bring up issues and fears I wont want to deal with. Right now I'm bracing myself for that and looking into therapists who can help me with that.

So that's my goal and also my reward: Liking myself enough to take care of myself emotionally and physically as well as allowing myself to get close to others again so I can have a fuller more connected life that isn't ruled by fears from past traumas.

... okay how much of a downer was that!?! I'm going to add I'm totally going to the spa and getting pampered to within an inch of my life for every major milestone/20 lbs.

I get a pedicure for every 10 lbs I lose, which takes about the time between them.

I became good friends with a lady in my insurance mandated classes. And it turns out we live just blocks apart to boot. My surgery is on the 29th and she's waiting for the call for hers.

We were just talking about all the things we want to do together to Celebrate our weight loss.

I live in CA and I love amusement parks and was beginning to lament ever going again, so we're going to hit Disneyland and California Adventures.

We want to ride the donkeys (without breaking their poor backs) down into the Grand Canyon.

We want to do the paddle boats at the harbor.

Do a 5K walk/run.

Go skiing for the first time ever!

I get overjoyed just thinking about catching up on all the stuff I've missed out on all these years! The list is endless and the renewed hope is just overwhelming!

Um, I have heard massages also help with loose skin, and although they too can be expensive I plan to aim for at least one a month (and possibly every two weeks if I can afford it). Perhaps I will set a lb goal I have to reach in order to get one as well. I am for now forgoing any more mani-pedis so that I can focus on skin firming stuff such as Spanx and Dr Denese Firming Body Serum (with retinol) and acne.org's 16 oz AHA lotion. I'm hoping this will help with loose skin as I would rather forgo the belt lipectomy (aka full body lift aka being sawed in half) if I can help it. I realize I may only be delaying the inevitable but at least I can try to take extra care of my skin during my weight loss journey.

I think I will need a new wardrobe of clothes, every 30 llbs and will take a trip down to the recycling with the old stuff.

Cathartic cleansing - I'm looking forward to it :rolleyes:

Hugs

Kate

Edited by ukkateuk

Great topic ! I have / had a few "bucket list " items. Mostly I just wanted to be strong and heathy again , like in my younger days. I wanted to walk without getting winded, quit the C-pap machine, wear cute small sized clothes, like what I see in the mirror, (maybe even have a fairly flat stomach again ?) I have done all of those so far. I also really wanted to run, be one of those healthy looking outdoorsy girls who wore cute running clothes ( I did it !) , hoped to run a half marathon someday. Well a permanent foot injury means no more running ( forever) , so Ive joined Pilates, and now Im slowly getting a flatter stomach! (Guess I dont have to save for liposuction anymore !) Future goals ? Ride a horse on a pack trip , travel, and keep working on building a strong, ,healthy body that will take me into my older age.

For a reward, when I get to goal, my husband and I are going to stay at the Hotel del Coronado (oceanside of course)! For an experience, I'm going to wear a bathing suit in public!

You all are giving me more great ideas!

@@Kushka Thats a great idea, a holiday at goal. Mind if I pinch that ;-)

Hugs

Kate

Hubby wants a holiday when I am at goal too.. on the back of a motorbike across Canada. :( Gawd

Kate

Going to Six Flags here in Atlanta next summer and ride every roller coaster with my hubby's 14 year old son! Every time I go down a size, I buy a shirt at Good will or off the clearance rack in the next size down. I watch til I can fit it. It motivates me to get into it!

These are all great - thanks everyone for the responses.

I had s pedicure and facial last Friday. I'm gong to keep that up periodically.

New make -up Now that I have a new face to put it on

Toe nail polish now that I can reach my toes

Hubby and I had a couples goal gift. Went to Victoria secret. Walked out with a size small. NSV

Just living life and doing the things I was not able to do at my high weight. Kayak, Travel, Concerts...you name it. I'm up for it for goal rewards.

Great topic! I have been making a list of goals for each 10 lbs that I loose. My first few rewards revolve around moving more.... 10 new workout songs from iTunes, new running shoes, join Zumba classes. My big goals (once I loose 100+) are things like a new wardrobe and a beach vacation.

So much better than the rewards I use to give myself after my Weight Watchers weigh ins. If I had a lost (no matter how small) I would treat myself to whatever I wanted for lunch that day (and I mean WHATEVER!!!)