Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does it feel like to have the sleeve v. band?

My surgeon had a great track record and is cautious. He only does it in two separate surgeries. I'd rather be safer I think. So I went with his plan.

Has not had

I tend to wonder if doing two surgeries is really about money. I don't see how putting a patient through two surgeries is safer. I am very glad mine was done in one.

I tend to wonder if doing two surgeries is really about money. I don't see how putting a patient through two surgeries is safer. I am very glad mine was done in one.

The risk of leaks is 2x as high in revision patients. 2 separate procedures minimizes that risk.

I had my revision in one surgery on June 23, 2015. My surgery was a 1.5 hours long. Not hardly much pain stayed overnight and went home. I had trouble with complete exhaustion during liquid phase but I am passed that, but make sure you take a good Multivitamin with Iron and B12. I have lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks. At 2 weeks I am currently in Vegas where I walked 8 miles yesterday. You will definitely know when to stop eating.

I had my revision in one surgery on June 23, 2015. My surgery was a 1.5 hours long. Not hardly much pain stayed overnight and went home. I had trouble with complete exhaustion during liquid phase but I am passed that, but make sure you take a good multivitamin with Iron and B12. I have lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks. At 2 weeks I am currently in Vegas where I walked 8 miles yesterday. You will definitely know when to stop eating.

I've been measuring my food. What does it feel like when you need to stop?

I am getting my band removed and conversion to a sleeve one operation on August 13. They removed all the Fluid from my band June 10. I. am so encouraged by the positive stories! Everyone I eat with knows that I would be visiting the restroom several times during each meal and i also had that horrible portal pain. It is nice to know I am not alone!

I'm so happy to read these posts. Especially about the chicken and broccoli. Lol. I had my band in 2010 and never go to the green zone. Either it was to loose or the fact I couldn't eat lunch but then could eat most anything for dinner and didn't get full. When I had my fill in I was puking at most any meal. I felt like a forced bullemic (without binging). I had to go throug all the pre op testing again, but now they are going to submit to insurance and I'm keeping my fingers so crossed that they approve due to complications. Because good and bad I'm under the 40 BMI with no comorbidities. I just want this band gone and lose the rest of this weight. I still have 60-70# go. I look forward to not being hungry and being able to eat small meals and not get stuck!

Hey, hockeyfan7............... I have had my band since Feb 2007 I have had no fill in mine for 4 years. I have had the slime and throw up problems all along but worsening with Heart burn and reflux for the last year. My dr. told me insurance would cover only one WLS in a life time. It has made me tolerate a lot. But lately the reflux is so bad that it comes up in the middle of my sleep Sitting straight up to sleep, and I have developed and been treated with aspiration pneumonia. Enough of this! I am scheduled to have my lap band out and repair a hiatal hernia in 2 weeks. Scared I of gaining my weight back.....the sleeve has a high risk of reflux according to what I have read. Considering if I start gaining bad...going to Mexico for the sleeve. I have worked to hard to maintain My weight.

Tuesday will be a month since I have had revision surgery and I have had no issues with reflux at all. I don't even need the Prevacid they gave me for a month. I have lost 21 pounds already.

Unfortunately my Insurance didn't cover the band and will not cover the revision so I am heading to Mexico for revision on Sept. 7th. I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. I was banded July 2008 and it went very well for about 5 years until I got a stomach virus and was throwing up everything I put in my mouth and at times it seemed somethings I didn't

. I called my fill center to get an unfill just to find out they had closed without notice UGH and couldn't find anyone to do the unfil because no one wanted to touch a Mexican surgery patient. My stomach ended up swelling so bad from the vomiting that I ended up in the ER with kidney failure. Finally they emptied my band WOW what a relief! After a few days in the hospital and kidneys back in shape I was sent home empty and starving. Once again no one in my area would fill me afterwards so I gained back 80lbs in 2 years partly due to depression and partly due to just being a jerk and excited about eating things I hadn't had in 5 yrs :( I want my healthy life back and this dang band (AKA my frenemy) out of me. I have Chosen Dr. Carlos Altamirano in TJ as my surgeon. I'm looking forward to following the progress of others that have had revision already. You see so much about revision patients having slower weightloss but I have all intentions of putting that myth to bed. Good luck to everyone on their journey, It's nice to know there are others out there going through the same thing and can understand what someone that has not been in this situation can. :)

Unfortunately my Insurance didn't cover the band and will not cover the revision so I am heading to Mexico for revision on Sept. 7th. I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. I was banded July 2008 and it went very well for about 5 years until I got a stomach virus and was throwing up everything I put in my mouth and at times it seemed somethings I didn't

. I called my fill center to get an unfill just to find out they had closed without notice UGH and couldn't find anyone to do the unfil because no one wanted to touch a Mexican surgery patient. My stomach ended up swelling so bad from the vomiting that I ended up in the ER with kidney failure. Finally they emptied my band WOW what a relief! After a few days in the hospital and kidneys back in shape I was sent home empty and starving. Once again no one in my area would fill me afterwards so I gained back 80lbs in 2 years partly due to depression and partly due to just being a jerk and excited about eating things I hadn't had in 5 yrs :( I want my healthy life back and this dang band (AKA my frenemy) out of me. I have Chosen Dr. Carlos Altamirano in TJ as my surgeon. I'm looking forward to following the progress of others that have had revision already. You see so much about revision patients having slower weightloss but I have all intentions of putting that myth to bed. Good luck to everyone on their journey, It's nice to know there are others out there going through the same thing and can understand what someone that has not been in this situation can. :)

I have a similar story. Babies not virus screwed with my band. If it is any comfort to you I am 3 weeks out today and I am down 20lbs since the 2 day pre-op liquid diet and 16lbs since the morning of surgery. I am pleased with this but hope it will continue! I do feel like my experience for better or worse is different than the people who didn't have a revision. I don't seem to have suffered the same swollen stomach as other patients for the first few weeks. After a couple of days liquids were not a problem for me nor were purees. As of today I am able to integrate new foods in and so far nothing has been problematic. I do not know if this is because I am a revision patient or if I know how to chew, take small bites and small sips because my band was very tight for a long time. Good luck in September!

I currently have the band and want to make the switch to the sleeve but I am Very nervous since first off I have been big/mostly unsuccessful losing weight since birth, ha ha. Secondly, it was really embarrassing to pay out of pocket for the band & put my family in debt only to feel like the biggest failure ever! I read these revision stories & they all sound so positive. My experience with the band has not been a rough one so I just want to make sure I don't make the same mistake if I end up getting a revision. I have so many questions but my biggest one is when I did lose weight with the band it was because I was eating/keeping down almost nothing. I had to go to ER due to dehydration, got kidney stones a couple of times, my hair was falling out so badly I hardly had eyelashes or eyebrows & I felt weak and very sick but everyone would rave about how I looked which made it even harder. I remember thinking if this is how thin feels I don't want it. I was tired/shaky all the time and struggled to do everyday things like go to work, play with my kids & work out. I still struggle to get in my Protein since it gets stuck so easily and causes pain. I would like to know how do you all feel overall with your revision. How many calories are you eating roughly? How is your energy level ?

I currently have the band and want to make the switch to the sleeve but I am Very nervous since first off I have been big/mostly unsuccessful losing weight since birth, ha ha. Secondly, it was really embarrassing to pay out of pocket for the band & put my family in debt only to feel like the biggest failure ever! I read these revision stories & they all sound so positive. My experience with the band has not been a rough one so I just want to make sure I don't make the same mistake if I end up getting a revision. I have so many questions but my biggest one is when I did lose weight with the band it was because I was eating/keeping down almost nothing. I had to go to ER due to dehydration, got kidney stones a couple of times, my hair was falling out so badly I hardly had eyelashes or eyebrows & I felt weak and very sick but everyone would rave about how I looked which made it even harder. I remember thinking if this is how thin feels I don't want it. I was tired/shaky all the time and struggled to do everyday things like go to work, play with my kids & work out. I still struggle to get in my Protein since it gets stuck so easily and causes pain. I would like to know how do you all feel overall with your revision. How many calories are you eating roughly? How is your energy level ?

I am eating 700-800 calories a day at 6 weeks out. I am getting 60-80 grams of Protein on a regular basis. My energy is coming back but I find I bottom out really quickly if I don't eat. I do have hunger but I can pretty easily satisfy it with 700 -800 calories.

It feels like it did before the band that is to say normal with no pain. I'm full quickly and have to remember to stop early or I get too full and uncomfortable. I don't get hungry at all, more like empty. I still battle head hunger. The band was horrible for me, the sleeve is what I thought weight loss surgery would be. I'm five years out.