Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fat Related Routines You Won't Miss

Don't be scared. I woke up and thought I had completely screwed up my life. Really screwed up my life. As soon as they got my pain managed and I could get up to walk I was fine and have been ever since. Every day I feel better about the decision I have made. Sleeved May 20th and doing the usual stalls, but coming to this site every day and seeing that everything I'm experiencing is normal has been a life saver. You have started one of the best forums I have seen yet, so you will be able to vocalize all you are to go through. Good Luck!!

@@ElleLB Thigh tighteness!!!! Yes!!!! I hadn't gotten a pedi in almost a year, and when it came time to lift my leg it didn't hurt and u wasn't in an uncomfortable position for a change.

I also like the fact that I can cross my legs without having to have a buttcheek in the air!!! Lmao!! I used to have to turn on one side to cross my legs, not anymore!! Actually, I'm laying down with my legs crossed as see speak!

I still, out of habit, stretch my shirts with my arms before putting them on, but now purposely dry them because they're all too big!

I don't miss huffing and puffing to put on and tie my shoes, love fitting into regular shoes, a size smaller, and not having to hunt down wide widths!

Having to request a table instead of a booth at a restaurant. Pretty sure fitting won't be an issue anymore.

I used to hang dry everything because it would "shrink" in the dryer and no longer fit.

Little did I know it was just me getting bigger.

Now I can just wear everything right out of the dryer because it didn't magically shrink!

@@no onions #5 really hits a cord with me too. I'm hoping my electric bill takes a big plunge after I lose the weight. Hoping I won't need it nearly as much to cool off as I do now. I pretty much have it on at least 10 months out of the year.

I hate that I'm sweating buckets just five minutes out of the shower!

YES to all of these..

I can now fit comfortably in a booth.. I can dry my clothes! My pants! My shirts.. Was I just wearing too small of a size?

We keep our a/c at 76/77 now! We used to keep it at 70 degrees!! I would freeze! At work I am SO cold.. only thing that I hate is that I'm cold all the time.

Also, wiping was becoming an issue. How embarrassing!! UGH. Now, its no problem.

@@chrisredjeep Go ahead and have yourself a good little cry on the way to the hospital, you're entitled. Although they will surely be mostly happy tears I know! Your big day on the 16th is almost at hand, and I won't be too far behind.

Aren't we just the luckiest people alive? I have a hard time keeping the smile off my face these days! Surround yourself with loving family and good friends that will keep you laughing all the way into the operating room!

I'll be thinking of you on the 16th (after I calculate the time difference between here and the UK - might have to set my alarm ????), and will be sending you happy thoughts!

Edited by The Candidate

@@padremama There's nothing I enjoy more than hearing from recent post ops who are feeling better everyday. Congrats on making it through to the other side! I hear the weather is beautiful there, the ocean a bright blue, and the party always in full swing! Be sure to save me a seat!

@@Chrystee Small? You know I've wracked my brain and I have no knowledge of this word "small" you speak of. And "fit comfortably" is not registering either. By the time I got to "SO cold" I could only conclude that perhaps you are speaking in a foreign language that I just do not understand. ????.

It seems that way sometimes as a pre op, these concepts of "fitting" and "not sweating" like you've just finished a marathon after simply walking a block. If all goes well after my surgery I may even consider removing the sign on my thermostat that reads: "Move this dial above 70 degrees under threat of death!"

@@Chrystee Small? You know I've wracked my brain and I have no knowledge of this word "small" you speak of. And "fit comfortably" is not registering either. By the time I got to "SO cold" I could only conclude that perhaps you are speaking in a foreign language that I just do not understand. .

It seems that way sometimes as a pre op, these concepts of "fitting" and "not sweating" like you've just finished a marathon after simply walking a block. If all goes well after my surgery I may even consider removing the sign on my thermostat that reads: "Move this dial above 70 degrees under threat of death!"

Sometimes I wish I could somehow give you newbies a glimpse into your futures so you can see how wonderful things will be a year or two from now. Since I can't do that, I post positive threads to give you an idea of what is in store. I was a scared newbie less than three years ago wondering what the hell I was doing letting some doctor put a rubber band around my stomach and hating myself for getting so fat that I needed this kind of intervention. Here I am now living the life I should have been living all along. All I can say is that while I am sad that I sat on the sidelines for such a long time, I am beyond grateful for the second chance I've gotten and am doing my darndest to make up for lost time.

The sweating thing is the biggest thing for me. I used to sweat heavily to the point all my baseball caps would have huge salt and sweat marks after 2 or 3 days of wear. Even at like 75 degree temps. Now i dont sweat at all. all the body sprays and powders i no longer have to use are a testament to this. lol But the tables in a restaurant, etc are all so true. My other one is in my small bathroom shower, i used to always complain about the shower curtain basically being on top of me, now i have all this room to spare, its quite amazing. I used to have this "big persons" special office chair that was extra wide and had a weight limit of 800 pounds, for my home use, but i gave it away and now i sit in a regular office chair with room to spare. being able to drive my wifes car without having tp push the seat all the way back. Or sit in the back seat of a two door car. I actually test drove a mini cooper, a MINI! i mean seriously , had i even tried that before it wouldve been laughable. Also the towel thing is oh so true. I havent been able to wrap a normal towel around my waist without having to walk with one hand holding the ends together. But i did it the other day for the first time it kind of made me tear up a little.

The biggest thing i will miss , is all the health issues. My legs now have normal circulation and as a result the hair grew back on them.

Sigh, why didnt i do this a long time ago. lol

@@gowalking It is the posts and gracious shared experiences, such as those you have made, and so many others here on this forum, that keep our pre op hopes alive! Although I am still trapped in my prison body, I am buoyed daily by the amazing outcomes of those who have gone before. These words and testimonies, they strengthen my resolve, and fortify my patience. They allow me to poke fun at myself and release my inner fears through the outlets of laughter and hope. Hope above all else.

Just as you would wish to somehow give us pre ops a way to better envision our glorious futures. We pre ops wish that we could better illustrate to you, that as a post op, here on bariatric pal - you already have. We virtually and vicariously walk in your shoes, share in your milestones, your NSV's, your incredible happiness, we feel with you, the realization of every heartfelt dream. We run with you, and bike with you, and hike, and dance, and live with a capital "L"! We fly - and it's only because you care for us, and nurture us, and keep us focused forever on the goal.

So thank you for giving us this incredible gift. For allowing us to see the world the way you do, and always keeping us in line. I see my beautiful future, and it's all thanks to you. It's bright and shiny, and everything I've ever wanted.

I promise you, gowalking, my eyes are gloriously open! In fact, I plan to never shut them again! And I hope that you see too, just how much we need and appreciate every single one of you!

Edited by The Candidate

Candidate that post is wonderful it brought a tear to my eye . Not long for both of us and we will do great things xx

@@Chrystee Small? You know I've wracked my brain and I have no knowledge of this word "small" you speak of. And "fit comfortably" is not registering either. By the time I got to "SO cold" I could only conclude that perhaps you are speaking in a foreign language that I just do not understand. .

Its crazy.. I've only lost 60 pounds, and you are actually smaller than I am, but just being able to move better.. I can't even tell you how much it means..

Getting out of a chair! I had to build a platform for my leather chair since it became too big of an effort to get out of. The first thing I did when I hit 50# down was dump the platform. Everyday, I get out of my chair a bit easier.

I've kind of skipped through this thread - but wanted to share some of the things I don't miss about being bigger...

1. I don't have to wonder if a chair will hold me.

2. I can sit anywhere in a restaurant.

3. I can shop in just about any store (size 16.. a few stores don't carry that).

4. I can wear more stylish shoes, even after MS diagnosis, because my feet don't hurt.

5. I'm rarely hot, and even when I am,

6. I don't sweat 1/10th as much.

Things I do miss:

1. I've lost my butt padding. Sitting gets very uncomfortable, very fast.

2. I have to shop for clothes, both because I am no longer what size I am and because stretchy and elastic covers many more sizes than buttons and zippers... and because I have the capability to 'look cute' so I feel compelled to put the effort in.

Wow there are so many things I can't wait to stop doing once I lose the weight.

Sweating- I currently sweat profusely like all the time! A co worker of mine thinks it's cute to come over and wipe my sweaty face all the time, I feel so embarrassed every time!

Being able to bend- I have to either open my legs wide or put my leg out to ben over and get something because my belly is in the way.

Chair scoping- When I go anywhere I have to scan the room and decide which chair I think will hold me, be comfortable, and I'll be able to get out of with ease.

Shopping at a store- I pretty much do all my shopping online because going to the store is a hassle. Not only because it's hard to feel good in clothes when you don't like your body, but also the sweating when trying on clothes.

sleeping anywhere- I snore like a wild animal and I hate falling asleep in front of people because they always need to mention it as if I don't know I snore!! I'm always trying to stay awake on planes and car rides to avoid the embarrassment!

Handicap bathrooms- This one makes me feel like an a**hole! I always go to the big stall so I can have enough room to maneuver for cleaning (tmi but true)

I'm glad to see so many people saying the sweating problem stopped!! There is hope!!