Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fat Related Routines You Won't Miss

I used to hang dry everything because it would "shrink" in the dryer and no longer fit.

Little did I know it was just me getting bigger.

Now I can just wear everything right out of the dryer because it didn't magically shrink!

I loved the very first bath I took once I have dropped some weight. I had been limiting myself to showers for years, because hauling myself out of the tub had gotten to be such a chore (not to mention a risk!). I remember my kids hearing me draw my bath and saying "Mom! You NEVER take baths!"

I love being able to cross my legs again (and often do selfies of my crossed thighs!).

Things I don't miss:

Planning my errands to conserve my energy as much as possible

Planning my subway/bus ride to arrive as close as possible to my destination, and checking to see if the subway station had an escalator rather than a stairs-only exit

Planning my day around my food indulgences, waking and immediately thinking of what I'd eat that day. And then going to bed at night feeling disgusted at myself and the bad food choices I'd made, once again.

Feeling that I'd outgrown the world, and as such, feeling embarassed about myself everywhere I went.

@ - I loved your reply I have heard I am sorry we don't carry that in "YOUR" size. You will have to go on-line and see if that size is available.

@@The Candidate - you must know my aunt! she bought me this pajama "outfit" to wear to the hospital for WLS that had zigzag capri pants in hot pink and turquoise and a pale pink top with a damn kitten wearing a knitted cap (with the ear muffs and strings that hang down)! Granted she meant well and knows I love cats (haven't had one in years). It was marked down at Kohls (I am guessing from Christmas??? I live in Florida) and she wanted me to have something to wear at the hospital. I didn't take it. I started to just because I figured I would never see anyone from there ever again. I only wore the provided gown with my undergarments and a robe (that she also bought).

And here I thought "I" was the only one that air dried his clothes. I used to live in fear of the dryer. And any "barely fit me" sized clothes never went in there. I wore so many shirts one time because they shrunk just a bit after the first wash and dry.

I used to hang dry everything because it would "shrink" in the dryer and no longer fit.

Now I can just wear everything right out of the dryer because it didn't magically shrink!

And here I thought "I" was the only one that air dried his clothes. I used to live in fear of the dryer. And any "barely fit me" sized clothes never went in there. I wore so many shirts one time because they shrunk just a bit after the first wash and dry.

Lol! Yup. That was my problem too. If it barely fit and got dried, forget it. What a waste, hu?

@@jane13

I know it's the thought that counts, and your Aunt sounds very supportive and sweet, but REALLY?! Who would wear that in public??

I think you should snap a pic of yourself wearing it for us when you reach your goal weight. Just for fun ;)

Fat related routines I no longer have to adhere to:

Air drying clothes.

Using Nair on my legs because I couldn't reach everywhere with the razor.

Using alot of toilet paper to make sure I got it all.

Going to the first car on the train so I could be sure to not have to squeeze into a seat. next to someone else who might give me the stinkeye since I was overflowing into their space

Asking for a table in the restaurant because I didn't fit in a booth.

Sitting in the front seat of the car because I took up too much room in the back if there were three of us trying to sit there.

Going through powder like there was no tomorrow.

Carrying tissues in my pocketbook to dab the sweat off my forehead and neck because any type of movement made me sweat like a pig.

Acting like it didn't bother me when I couldn't join in on an activity because I was too fat.

Making fun of myself before anyone else might in order to deflect the terrible hurt by people making remarks even if they didn't realize how much they hurt my feelings.

Acting asexual because fat women shouldn't have those needs.

Always being ashamed of how out of control I had become.

There's more, but I think you all get my drift here.

I will never go back to those days again. Never.

I look forward to putting my bra on the regular way...

Not feeling anxiety about whether I'll fit in a restaurant booth...

Not feeling like everyone is staring at me all the time...

Actually enjoying the fitting room again...

Inspiring family members to get their weight under control...

Buying the coupe version of my car...

Wearing skirts and dresses to work without fear of my weird lumps poking through...

Going to places that have arena/stadium seating, comfortably...

Attempting to walk in heels...

Not feeling that thigh tightness when I have to hold my leg up while getting a pedicure...

I'm sure there's more, but that's what immediately comes to mind

OMG, these are so great!! What a great read with my morning coffee. Besides all of those is turning over in bed. That has been a major one on my weight loss journey. So afraid my son would one day have to be the one helping me turn.

I have a couple -

1. Fewer slip-on shoes. It had reached the point where I specifically looked for shoes I wouldn't have to bend over and tie.

2. Clipping toenails - my abdomen would frequently cramp from the necessary positioning. * I did get a pedicure on Friday because my wounds won't let me quite bend enough yet.

3. Towels that will wrap around your waist (without being bath sheets).

4. Burning any and all "comfort stretch" waisted pants that are in my closet. You know -- the kind with the "hidden" extra inches. Actually, I will happily donate any clothing.

5. Reduced sweating - hopefully. I'm hoping I don't need to sit under the ceiling fan every morning after I get ready for work, just to cool-down before heading to the car.

6. Removing myself from the big and tall catalogs, mailing lists and rewards programs.

7. Really just looking forward to feeling better overall! :-)

@@no onions #5 really hits a cord with me too. I'm hoping my electric bill takes a big plunge after I lose the weight. Hoping I won't need it nearly as much to cool off as I do now. I pretty much have it on at least 10 months out of the year.

I hate that I'm sweating buckets just five minutes out of the shower!

@@The Candidate

I'm wondering about our electric bill too! I keep it very very cool. Temp currently at 68 in the house.

Asking for the extension for seat belt on airplanes. And having to sit in aisle seat on airplanes or busses. Would really enjoy being able to look out the window again. And hopefully being able to stand on a step stool or ladder again. That may be other issues of mine though, lol.

I won't miss overpaying for plus size clothes and being able to find great deals!! Clearance racks here I come!

... Oh yeah, I never want to wear Spanx ever again!! Always being hot in those suckers.

@@The Candidate

I'm wondering about our electric bill too! I keep it very very cool. Temp currently at 68 in the house.

We used to keep our AC at 70 and I still slept without any covers at all and was barely cool enough. Now, we keep it at 76 and I sleep with two blankets. :)