Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys,

So I've been on this site everyday for the last two weeks reading what everyone has to say and trying to prepare myself to the best of my ability.

My surgery date just came out of nowhere! I felt like it was yesterday I started the liquid pre-op diet. Time is going by so fast!

Does anyone have any final words of encouragement, advice, wisdom OR ANYTHING at all they would like to share before my big day?

I'm super excited/nervous and I am SO ready to go get it over with.

I had my surgery this past Tuesday. I was really glad that I had bought Gas X strips. I had a hiatal hernia repair and the sleeve and the gas pain is finally getting better today. The Gas X strips have helped out tremendously!

Worry about liquids above everything in the first week or so that u r home. Set an alarm on your phone if u have to for every 5 minutes and sip 1/3Dr to 1/2 ounce (out of a medicine cup works. It holds 1 ounce). First few days u will only be able to get in 1 ounce per 15 minutes so u have to stay on top of it. I'm 4 weeks out (bypass) and still struggling getting in fluids so it's tough

Well, first off congratulations! What a wonderful way to start off the new week, and the first day of your new life!

If you've been reading this site for awhile you're already familiar with all the mechanics of what to bring, and more or less what to expect.

The one thing I would add is that last minute jitters are to be expected. So if you find yourself feeling a little shaky as the time draws near, just keep reminding yourself of how hard you've worked to get to this exact moment.

Remember how it felt the day, the moment, that you made the decision to pursue surgery, and kicked the process into gear. Remind yourself of just how far you've come and that you yourself made it all happen. How great it is that your fondest wish is about to come true. I'm so happy for you!

Getting sleeved was the easiest part of my journey so far. I had an easy recovery with the usual gas pains and tenderness. Of all the surgeries I have had (Knee replacement, breast reduction, ovarian cancer, etc.) this was by far the easiest. I am almost 4 weeks out and learning how to eat much smaller Protein servings much slower. Sounds easy, right. Amazing how little will absolutely fill me up! Learning how to be the new improved but slightly modified me - priceless!

I will say what I always do. Follow your plan not anyone else's. Focus on fluids at first, stay hydrated. Take your measurements now, you will be glad you did for when the scale isn't moving. I re-measure once a month and the inches are coming off even when the scale isn't moving.

Allow yourself time to heal, realize that even though you feel like you have recovered it takes the stomach a couple months to truly heal. You will have days when you are tired, get rest. You will have days when you don't want to eat, give your body fuel.

Keep us posted on your progress, we are here for you! Good luck!!

Thank you all so much. It's so wonderful to have so many people supporting each other! I will keep you all posted :) (and I'll be sure to buy gasx strips

You'll be fine, they'll take good care of you. It's the best decision I've ever made :)

It is a great ride. Ride it for all its worth. You will not regret it!

I was sleeved on June 29th.. In my experience, here are my recommendations for right before and after surgery.

1) walk walk walk.. Even/especially when you don't want to.

2) one or more of your incisions might hurt like hell when you get up out of bed, or turn.. Don't worry, it's normal and it gets better every day, and there is not necessarily anything wrong..

3) use the pain meds, that's what they are for

4)you will probably regret getting be surgery at some point the first few days.. That is normal.. Think of it as a thunderstorm that is moving through.. The feeling is temporary...

5) if you are afraid of nausea, tell the anesthesiologist.. They will give you something extra.. I had very little nausea

6) head hunger very well may be your greatest challenge later, but I wasn't a bit hungry the first week after surgery.. And now (2 weeks out, on Protein shakes/clear liquids) I get a whisper of real hunger when i wake up, mid day and dinner time.. And it gets louder every day.. And the head hunger seems to get softer and softer every day, as long I acknowledge that's what it is, have a drink, and move on..

7) get to living.. Don't wait to do things.. If you feel well enough t do it, go.. Don't be afraid of social situations or triggers.. You've been through the hardest part. You are stronger than you think.. Celebrate those little victories with yourself, it makes a difference...

I started a SECRET Facebook Group (closed, nobody can see you are there) For July 2015 people only. I hope this can expand as a individualized community so we can help each other out through the same stages of this journey. I hope you can join. (1) Click the group link page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/June2015WLS/ (2) Request to Join. Membership needs to be approved. (3) The only way to approve is if you reply to this message and tell me what your FaceBook name is, so I can match up your request and approve you right away.

I hope you are doing well, and hope to see you soon!

I started a SECRET Facebook Group (closed, nobody can see you are there) For July 2015 people only. I hope this can expand as a individualized community so we can help each other out through the same stages of this journey. I hope you can join. (1) Click the group link page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/June2015WLS/ (2) Request to Join. Membership needs to be approved. (3) The only way to approve is if you reply to this message and tell me what your FaceBook name is, so I can match up your request and approve you right away.

I hope you are doing well, and hope to see you soon!

My name is "Hamade Lexi" I will be sending a request. My sleeve is set for July 28. Two days away. Actually I'm wondering whether it will be announced that I join this group in my newsfeed because if that's the case I'd rather keep this under anonymity.

Edited by my_new_lifetime

My apologies. It looks like the only way to join is to send email invites, not a link.

You will need to message me your email address, the one linked to your Facebook profile.