Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My home scale broke a few yrs back and I never replaced it. Now with this new journey I have in front of me I wonder if I need one.. :rolleyes: I don't want to make my journey about numbers and I don't want to obsess over the scale like I have in so many other diets I've been on... or if I get in a stall, im only a week out. I plan on weighing at the doctors office or at my mom's from time to time but wonder if this is wise. I want this journey to be about changing my life and getting/feeling healthy no matter the numbers. Has anyone else tried to go this route?

I would recommend, based on my observation and opinion, that you hold off for a while. I see too many people drive themselves crazy with the scale. As long as you do what you are supposed to do you will lose weight. It just doesn't always show up in the scale in the short term. Weighing at the doctors and then periodically at your mom's is a great strategy. Once you are seeing the doctor less often you might want to get a scale, I personally wouldn't weigh more than once a week, though.

I'm definitely in the anti-scale camp. I only weighed like 6 times in the first 3 months. I feel sorry for all the people that make themselves miserable because they obsess over the stupid scale. (BTW, that's PC talk for I can't stand reading those posts anymore and have pretty much given up on trying to help them understand how meaningless those numbers are in the beginning)

I do not own a scale, I am 18+ months out and still only weigh 2-3 times/month....on the dog scale at work, fully clothed and at random times. This has not prevented me from losing, and keeping off, over 100% of my excess wight.

@@Kindle congratulations! It's been almost a year since you reached your goal weight. You are an inspiration : )

Thanks for replying @kindle. I definitely don't want to be miserable over numbers. I know our bodies can fluctuate depending on time of day/month and that not what I want to be about. Glad it worked for you and I'm sure it will work for me. Congratulations on your success.

Eh, I bought a new scale just for the occasion and I weigh myself every morning...so...yeah.

I guess we are all motivated differently @NCTRNL. How far out are you and what's your progress?

I had surgery on 6/2/15. Started at 445, lost 26 in the 2-week liquid diet, down 30 since surgery. I honestly thought it would come off quicker but I'm just going with it right now...

56 pounds is great I was sleeved on June 26. Down 15 pounds in 10 days but I didn't have to do a diet before. Keep up the good work!