Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I cheated on my pre-op diet and I feel so guilty :(

I am on day 10 of my diet and have lost 10 pounds. Only allowed 2 Protein Shakes and some raw or steamed veggies daily. Yesterday I had a bit of watermelon. At the movies I had 3 gummie candies and today I had more watermelon. I feel so bad. I hope this doesn't affect my surgery!!

You'll probably be ok, but don't keep doing that. My surgery went very smoothly because I followed it very carefully.

I'm on day 4 of a 20 day liquid only diet. I've cheated each day, sadly. Yesterday I had a bite of a hot dog (no bun), and today I had a piece of cheese. The first day I had a cookie and the day after I had another piece of cheese. I'm not beating myself up over it. Each day I do a little better, and I'm already getting used to drinking my four Protein Shakes and drinking Water. It's a process but I'm trying. Don't beat yourself up. Just keep going. I'm addicted to food, so going completely "cold turkey" is difficult. Its progress not perfection. Lol

I'm on day 4 of a 20 day liquid only diet. I've cheated each day, sadly. Yesterday I had a bite of a hot dog (no bun), and today I had a piece of cheese. The first day I had a cookie and the day after I had another piece of cheese. I'm not beating myself up over it. Each day I do a little better, and I'm already getting used to drinking my four Protein Shakes and drinking Water. It's a process but I'm trying. Don't beat yourself up. Just keep going. I'm addicted to food, so going completely "cold turkey" is difficult. Its progress not perfection. Lol

Thank you so much <3 I needed to hear this. Glad I'm not the only one.

You def aren't! Google "I cheated on my preop liquid diet" lol I spent an hour reading everyone's "confessions". Made me feel better lol

try not to worry, I only managed to stick to 10 days out of my 14 day pre-op diet and my surgery went fine. just try to get back on track, I know its hard but the pre-op diet improves the success of the surgery and makes the surgery easier. I stocked up on lots of diet coke and had one every time I felt like I was going to give into temptation. I found it helped a little.

Yesterday on day 4 of my 7 day pre op I had a can of tuna for lunch and one for dinner....I'm only supposed to have Protein bars and shakes and Soup mixes...all given to me by my surgeons office. I haven't been able to choke down some of the shakes because they are just too sweet. I don't have a sweet tooth at all. So I have been literally starving...stomach pains/growling/feeling light headed...the whole thing.

I figured tuna in Water would fill me up because of the Protein and there aren't any carbs so I did it....I cheated...but I was able to sleep all night without waking with hunger pains and like I said...I had not been getting those calories/protien from the snack shakes/puddings.

Now that I am very very close to surgery though I will just have to do my best and not stray from the diet. I'd rather be hungry or force myself to eat that disgusting pudding at this point than do something that will cause me harm during surgery.

My surgeon didn't have me follow a particular diet. It just had to be 1,000 thousand calories and low carb, high Protein and my liver was fine.

I'm lucky that my pre op diet of liquids only is only for one day (my surgery will be on 07/29). However I was required to lose 10% of my weight during the six months of classes I had to take, which was 24 pounds. I went on to lose a bit more than that.

It always amazes me how very different our pre and post op instructions are.

Edited by The Candidate

@@honeyflowers that's just baby cheating. My pre op diet was only 3 days, juices, broth, low fat yogurt and cottage cheese etc. 2nd night I made a teeny tiny portion of spaghetti. I was ok!

My doctor said the purpose is to shrink your liver so it doesn't get in the way of your stomach. The way to blow it would be eating a chicken fried steak or slices of pizza.

Just keep at it! :)

We're human but we also need to remember that's what it is here, I am post op since 10th of June and since February I have lost over 64lbs, 388to start and 322 last Wednesday, I do plan to have 1 cheat day every month but no more than that, that's what got me here!

My pre op diet was lo fat, lo sugar, vegetarian diet. Incl no eggs or carbonated drinks. Plus 2 Protein shakes a day. My surgeon said the purpose of the pre op diet is to prevent people from having "last meals" the last couple weeks prior to surgery and to shrink the liver since it overlies the stomach, making surgery easier. After surgery I was on Clear liquids for 3 days then full liquids for five weeks (I have 2 weeks left) then you go to regular food. My doc took pics of my surgery, very cool.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App