Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We're happy to announce that we've partnered with Novamar Insurance to offer our members a fantastic and inexpensive Medical Tourism insurance policy.

Why you need Medical Tourism Insurance

While surgeons and hospitals take every precaution to protect your safety, the possibility of a complication exists for every surgery in any country, due to the natural conditions of a patient. Because the medical procedure is self-paid, patients will also be required to cover additional expenses should a complication occur during the procedure.

Our Medical Tourism Insurance Policy

A Medical Tourism Insurance Policy is as important as your Passport when it comes to security and added peace of mind.

Whether your medical procedure is cosmetic or not, Our Medical Tourism Insurance provides you the peace of mind you deserve by covering the extra medical, hospital, and lodging expenses resulting from a medical complication that occurs during a covered treatment in Mexico.

-These are some of the benefits offered by our policy:

Medical complications expenses: $160,000.00

Additional daily hospital room *: $120.00Per day / Max. 10 days

Additional medicalconsultations *: $40.00 Per consultations / Max.10 consultations

Travel and accommodation daily expenses *: $120.00 Per day/ Max. 10 days

Additional travel expenses: $160.00

Accommodation and plane ticket for non-scheduled visit to the doctor up to 12 months later : Included

Travel Assistance 24/7: Included

Travel Liability: $20,000.00

*The amounts expressed for these coverages are above the $160,000 USD limit. Coverage

Limits(USDollars)

Our policy is underwritten by ACE, a worldwide leader in the global insurance industry with operations in 54 countries.

The financial strength of ACE has allowed us to offer 2 great benefits to our clients:

1. Direct payment to most hospitals and doctors in Mexico.

2. One of the highest coverage limits of a policy of this kind in the world.

How to buy it

1. Click to purchase your Medical Tourism Insurance policy here.

2. Answer three simple questions and our online system will return a quote in a matter of seconds.

3. Fill out the required fields, make the payment by credit card and receive your policy by email immediately.

-For your convenience, we have the option to purchase your policy with up to 30 days in advance of your medical procedure or even one hour before it starts.

-Along with your policy, you will receive claim filing information that will explain how to file a claim and receive immediate attention should you need assistance.

Novamar Insurance Mexico is a Founding Member of the Board of Medical Tourism in Mexico, and has been present at the Annual Medical Tourism Congress for the last five years among other international events. Novamar is, so far, the only company in Mexico that provides this type of insurance policy.

Novamar Insurance Mexico is an affiliate company of Novamar Insurance Group, Inc.a company based in the U.S. and founded in 1987. Our experience and reputation over the last 28 years translates into excellent relationships with domestic and international underwriters, which allows Novamar to provide the best insurance solutions at the most competitive premiums.

I am VERY interested in purchasing medical insurance for my surgery scheduled 8/20/15 in Mexico. In reading this article, I am not sure if this insurance will cover me for a period of time when I return home to the United States? Or is it only valid while in Mexico? Thank you!

I am VERY interested in purchasing medical insurance for my surgery scheduled 8/20/15 in Mexico. In reading this article, I am not sure if this insurance will cover me for a period of time when I return home to the United States? Or is it only valid while in Mexico? Thank you!

The insurance covers you both in Mexico as well as when you return to the US.

Thank you for responding so quickly! How many weeks or months is coverage good for?

I appreciate you looking into this. One more question - It seems some insurance agencies will cover in the US only if you had a complication while in Mexico. Will this cover me if everything went perfectly smooth in Mexico but suddenly 3 months later I have an issue when back in the US? Again, SO APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!!!

Edited by eaw434

The insurance coverage is much better than I thought. Here's the exact response from the insurance company:

"The 12 month coverage starts when a client has a complication. The policy is purchased for the number of days they’re in Mexico or the number of possible days when a complication could arise. Most policies for bariatric surgeries are purchased for 4-5 days and in 5 years we haven’t had one single complication after 5 days in gastric sleeve. The usually have arisen the first or second day."

The policy covers you forever, including within the US! The insurance company is correct, most complications generally arise soon after surgery.

Thank you Alex. It sounds like if you don't have any complications at all while in Mexico, any potential issue you have when you arrive back home is not covered. Is that correct? I am happy to talk to them directly as well. I will be in the hospital for 3 days after surgery so any potential issues that arise day 4 and beyond are not covered - that is how I understand this.

Thank you Alex. It sounds like if you don't have any complications at all while in Mexico, any potential issue you have when you arrive back home is not covered. Is that correct? I am happy to talk to them directly as well. I will be in the hospital for 3 days after surgery so any potential issues that arise day 4 and beyond are not covered - that is how I understand this.

No, you're covered regardless if the complication occurs in Mexico or the US. Almost 99% of complications that do arise are normally discovered while the patient us still in Mexico.

Great! So if I land Wednesday night and leave Sunday day, I purchase 5 days of coverage and this is valid for 12 months after I return to the states regardless of when a potential complication arises? If a complication arises within those 12 months that specific issue will be covered for a lifetime. Only complications not covered are those that arise after 12 months? Truly fantastic!

Great! So if I land Wednesday night and leave Sunday day, I purchase 5 days of coverage and this is valid for 12 months after I return to the states regardless of when a potential complication arises? If a complication arises within those 12 months that specific issue will be covered for a lifetime. Only complications not covered are those that arise after 12 months? Truly fantastic!

Correct!

I will be getting this. I am so surprised more people aren't on this chain. Everyone should get this! Thanks for all your help.

I have looked at this insurance but I am confused by the coverage time. They way I read it you are buying coverage for up to 30 days for the price quoted which depends on the coverage "Term" So if i am correct for a 10 day "Term" I would be covered up to $160K for ten days.

Is this correct.

Thanks

I just spoke with Antonio at Novamar and he was super helpful. In a nut shell, the policy does not cover any expenses in the US. If you have a complication while in Mexico during the policy period you purchased (i.e. 5 days, etc.) then you are covered for another 12 months afterwards up to $160k. However, this care has to take place in Mexico. Insurance covers a plane ticket back to Mexico but will not pay for any emergency expenses in the states. Hope that is helpful to everyone. I think I will buy a 5 day policy and also look for something that is valid in the unlikely event I need care when back home.

Hi all. I am glad I found this post. All and all you want some kind of coverage out of country. This does make scheduling surgery a lot easier knowing you are not just flapping in the wind. I also want to find something for the US. At least for the first year. I have a friend go to the emergency room needing an IV just to get fluids up just to fight with pay because of lack of insurance that covers WLS. Some doctors will not touch you if you go out of country for surgery. Thank you Alex for bringing this to light.