Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved one week ago and I've only lost 6 pounds. Ordinarily this would be good, but if these are my reeks during rapid weight loss, then this is going to be an impossibly long journey. Note that I was 402 on my surgery date. I'm getting my Protein in and adequate fluids. I have a bowl movement daily (tmi), and I walk. Any ideas of what else I can do?

Oh I so feel you!!! My first week I lost less than that. I went for days and days without losing an ounce and it confused the crap out of me! But as I healed and adjusted and the swelling went down and my body came out of shock from the surgery the weight started to go faster. But it's not a done deal. It's still a process and doesn't happen overnight... just faster than it would otherwise. But I promise you're losing inches and your body is in shock and will pause from time to time to catch up with what's happening in other areas. But it's still happening!!!

I have lost 21 total.... 12 during pre-op diet and 9 since surgery. I am 15 days post-op. I lost 8 the first week and only 1 the second week. I wasn't that discouraged because my measurements and the way my clothes fit told a different story. We just have to remember that the scale is not the only indicator. Let's keep pushing forward !!

I felt the same way!! I thought because I was bigger than most (347) that I would lose faster but I only lost 12 lbs my first month. Talk about disappointed and feeling like I wasted $20,000 on this surgery. I am now 15 months out and have lost 153 lbs. my weight starts with a 1 and I can say it has been worth it all! I've had big loss weeks and no loss weeks but it has all worked out and I'm still losing (very slowly now!) about 2-3 lbs a month but considering where I started I'm thrilled with that!! I went from being "super morbidly obese" to one pound away from "overweight".

I gained 5 pounds after surgery. It took me a week to lose that! I felt (and sometimes feel) the same way. I just thought the weight would "melt" off these first 6 months. Now, my doctor and support team have told me over and over that it is a process and that surgery is a tool to help you. I work out 5 to 6 days a week and still (Just over 2 months out) can't eat very much. I went for 2 and a half weeks with NO loss. Then the next week I lost 10 pounds. I am also just under 4 months out from having a baby. NO clue if that plays into it or not. This woman that came into my office lost 63 pounds in 7 weeks. I was so jealous. I am now losing anywhere from 2 to 4 pounds a week now (most weeks). I feel this is pretty good for me. Usually my weight loss levels off after 2 months so I am keeping it going. Hoping to be at goal weight by 1 year mark. Good luck!

It's so hard to be patient, but that's my advice. How often have you lost 6 pounds in a week? The surgery causes you to hang on to Water, so that will come off in the next couple of weeks. You have lost weight in spite of Fluid retention!

We all want to lose super fast, but the reality is that fat can only be used for energy so fast. One thing to keep in mind is that you are down 6 pounds, and that is most likely permanent. Most of us couldn't say that before. Also, it's cumulative. So next week you will another pound or two, and time marches on, and before you know it, you are down a significant amount - one pound at a time. Focus on learning new habits and do yourself a favor by REALLY trying to make the new habits a way of living. As someone who is about 2.5 years post op, I can tell you that's the greatest gift you can give yourself.

Stay away from the scale. I have no idea what I weighed a week after surgery. I was either 414 or 412 day of surgery, I honestly don't remember now. I know 414lbs was my highest weight.

I focused on nothing but eating/drinking right, getting in my Protein and exercise. I walked the first week. I added light hand-weights(5lbs) while sitting the second week and longer walks. By the 3rd week I was back in the pool doing Water aerobics which I had been doing way before I even thought about WLS.

For the first 6mths I only focused on maintaining my calorie limit, hitting my Protein & Water goals. I only got weighed when I went to the doctor or once a month. After my 6 mths visit I don't go back until my 1 year visit so I've since put a battery in scale and still try to weigh no more than once a month. My overall goal is not to be skinny but to be healthy. The numbers on the scale don't really help me with that. Focusing on eating well and exercising does.

Stay away from the scale. I have no idea what I weighed a week after surgery. I was either 414 or 412 day of surgery, I honestly don't remember now. I know 414lbs was my highest weight.

I focused on nothing but eating/drinking right, getting in my Protein and exercise. I walked the first week. I added light hand-weights(5lbs) while sitting the second week and longer walks. By the 3rd week I was back in the pool doing Water aerobics which I had been doing way before I even thought about WLS.

For the first 6mths I only focused on maintaining my calorie limit, hitting my Protein & Water goals. I only got weighed when I went to the doctor or once a month. After my 6 mths visit I don't go back until my 1 year visit so I've since put a battery in scale and still try to weigh no more than once a month. My overall goal is not to be skinny but to be healthy. The numbers on the scale don't really help me with that. Focusing on eating well and exercising does.

#Blerdgirl

^^^ what she said! Numbers on a scales aren't the primary goal. Losing excess weight and creating a healthy body are the primary goals. A scale will so fluctuations and that's not good you're obsessed about weight like I am (in recovery.)

Also I weigh in maybe every 5 weeks at best. My blood pressure is low, body is stronger and I can buy clothes I really like...oh and run. Also, my sleep apnea? Dust in the wind! ;)

These are tools to measure progress instead of a scale...words from my psychiatrist/MD.

BEST WISHES! It's a struggle but never give up on yourself! ????????

Edited by tomi71

The only way I can keep possitive when I'm feeling down about how quick (should i say slow) the weight comes off is by putting it in perspective... have you ever lost 6lbs in a week? Probably not, so enjoy it, savor it. 6lbs is excellent. I hate to say it, but there will be weeks of stalls or losing only ounces.... those weeks are rough. Please don't let a massive loss like 6lbs get you down. Be proud, stay possitive, be patient! You are on your way to the new you.

Actually that is the reason I'm struggling. I lost 15 pounds in one week back when I first started looking into WLS and I was eating every day. Then I lost 16 doing the pre-op diet for 2 weeks. I thought once I had surgery I'd lose fairly rapidly, but it came to a screeching halt. I'll continue doing what I know to do, because that's all I can do, but it's hard not to become discouraged.

Actually that is the reason I'm struggling. I lost 15 pounds in one week back when I first started looking into WLS and I was eating every day. Then I lost 16 doing the pre-op diet for 2 weeks. I thought once I had surgery I'd lose fairly rapidly, but it came to a screeching halt. I'll continue doing what I know to do, because that's all I can do, but it's hard not to become discouraged.

Stay away from the scale.

When you focus only on those numbers, your happiness revolves only around the scale.

My happiness comes from being able to walk longer and longer distances without my knees hurting or getting out of breath. My happiness comes from being able to fit in a chair with arms. My happiness comes from seeing my old clothes become baggy. The numbers on the scale aren't nearly as important as those NSVs are.

I've always been a slow loser and I thought the sleeve would turn me into a mega losing machine. Well, my body is the boss of me and it said, hahaha, no way! I was disappointed, but I've accepted the fact that my pounds like to hang out with me as long as possible. (Yes, I work out at the gym 5 days a week) If I'm lucky, I lose a pound a week. I weigh once a week even though I try to stay off the scale completely. I'm happy because I'm losing, no matter how slowly. I spent 60 years building this pile of fat and I'm sure not going to lose it in a day or a month or even 6 months. It's happening and that's all I want! I work from home but go in to the office 2-3 times a month for staff meetings and yesterday I got lots of compliments on my weight loss, so I know it's happening. Some good things just take time, work and patience.

There's a lot of weird swelling still happening during the first few weeks. Give yourself a break and just keep following your program.

There's a lot of weird swelling still happening during the first few weeks. Give yourself a break and just keep following your program.

Yup - weird swelling, plus your liver is re-inflating from the low carb diet and your system is probably still in shock. Six lbs for the first week really isn't bad.