Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bummed with this section...

I'm a little sad to see so little activity in this group. I was really hoping to find gay men who could understand what I'm going through. Especially if being a part of the chub/chaser/bear community. Hope it picks up.

I agree Ryan! When I saw the sub forum I was so excited, but then realized how dead it was...

Yeah, it's kind-of dead in here.

Well why don't you two tell me about your journey and thoughts about the community so far. I'd love to hear what you guys think... I'm just assuming you're a gay male no-onions. Sorry if I'm assuming wrong. lol

Wellllllll! My name is Richard and I started this journey probably....my freshman year of college so almost 10 years ago. I have tried personal training, weight watchers, Atkins, south beach, the zone, IIFYM, paleo, and probably things I'm forgetting with the exception of pills/drugs to no avail. In late 2012, my legs began to swell and retain Water to an uncomfortable point and my doctor suggested looking into bariatrics. My insurance at the time didn't cover it, so I worked with what I could. Last year, I got a new job and our coverage began immediately so I met with my surgeon. 11 months later, I am sleeved. I am 3 weeks and 2 days out, struggling to get down my liquids and Protein every day. It takes me about an hour and a half to eat 2 ounces of food, so that's probably not good. I just get this tight and nauseous feeling every time that I do.

I am currently seeing someone who is a 'chaser' so...not sure how that is going to work out once I've deflated lol. Anything else? I don't know I started writing this two hours ago and then had to leave suddenly and came back and lost my train of thought! You can contact me off forums on instagram at VSG_Rich or RGodfrey09@gmail.com or I check these often! All the best, I'd love to hear your journey!

That's awesome, Richard... Good for you! I just started following you on Instagram by the way. You're more than welcome to follow back, mine isn't geared towards the weight loss surgery though, it's just my everyday stuff.

As for me, I've been battling my weight most of my life too... Weight Watchers, Atkins, all that stuff too. I also have the lymphedema in my leg... I wear the compression stockings. It basically sucks. I'm embarrassed to wear shorts. But what really sealed the deal with getting surgery was when my best friend died. He passed Feb 28, 2014. He was only 32 and passed from a heart attack. And that for me really made me think and re-evaluate things. So I decided to get weight loss surgery. My heaviest was this past Feb... I was 446lbs... I lost 33lbs before surgery... Was 413lbs day of surgery... I had surgery April 27, 2015... I'm down 59lbs since surgery... So down 92lbs in total. I physically feel so much better. I'm finally getting a good amount of Protein in and Water in. I know what you're going through cause it was hard for me at first too. It's still hard, but it's easier. I really started feeling better when I was put on solid food. I was getting more calories in me and had more energy. I'm loving it. I'm going to start the gym on Monday. Makes me nervous cause I'm afraid of pushing it. But I hired a personal trainer for 3 sessions so he can help me exercise knowing my situation and restrictions.

I hope things continue to go well for you and your boyfriend and that he is supportive of you right now. I know I needed the support of my friend and family. I'm single myself. I decided to hold off on dating because I don't want to get dumped because I lost too much weight. Just not up for going through that. But who knows what the future holds.

It's nice to talk to someone who knows what I'm going through. Cause I don't feel like people understand this unless they go through it themselves.

I don't think my guy wants me to have it. Been with him for years. We're not intimate anymore. I guess it's been open for a couple years but I feel just single.

I wonder if I'll be turned off by guys who will want the thinner me when they didn't want the heavy me.

@@tubabuddha sounds like what I've been going through. When intimacy falls away, it's tough to really keep a relationship going. Mine didn't want me to, and I put it off for a long while. I finally went through with it because honestly I needed it and I did it for me. Have you had it yet??

No I have pre-op tomorrow and my surgery is next Wednesday.

@@tubabuddha congratulations! If you have any questions or anything or just wanna chat, feel free to reach out. I remember feeling sort of isolated those first few weeks.

Good luck with your surgery. I had my surgery 4/27/15... Very glad I did it. I don't have a bf, but I've been told by "chasers" that they liked me better before. It's hard mentally... But you do what's best for you. Make yourself happy. You are your number one. :-)

I'm usually pretty isolated anyway. I don't seem to find "chasers" just a bunch of kids looking for muscle bears.

I got a call from the nurse that my insurance company sent a denial letter. Insurance is so frustrating

@@tubabuddha Did they say why?! Hopefully the surgeon will write a good appeal!

That's frustrating. I hope you can get insurance figured out quick! I hope I don't have insurance issues. I have not been able to get to the first meeting to get the ball rolling. I've been traveling to much for work. I was suppose

To go to the meeting tonight. But, on a flight to ATL. I have to wait another month now :(. Bummed out!

I have state employee insurance. Who knows. When I called they said I was still approved. I tried getting the coordinator at surgeons office and kept getting her voicemail. Ugh it's so frustrating.

I guess my manfriend is more on board than I thought. He started calling the governors office.

I guess we'll go to preop testing in the morning. Maybe the hospital will know more of a yay or nay.