Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, so I'll be honest, I didn't search to see if this had been discussed before, but I am going to guess it probably hasn't.

I am pre-op, without a date yet (I am self-pay, and have only secured about 50% of the cost so far, but am keeping my fingers crossed I'll have the rest worked out in a week or 2 and hopefully surgery by the first week in August, at the latest). 3 of my girlfriends and myself are planning a weekend camping trip in September....on horseback. We plan on doing about 30km in total (I am the slow, anxious rider, with a slow older horse), 18km one day and 12km the next I believe. What I am wondering is, how long would it take me to be physically able to do the trip after surgery (under ideal conditions, I do realize there are a lot of variables).

Things to note:

I have an older horse, VERY calm and reliable (but I do realize crazy things can happen), has been through bomb proofing and only reacted at all to cap guns (the smell of gunpowder, not the sound) and sparklers.....and none of us are bringing either on our trip lol.

We will probably be in the saddle for 3-4 hours a day, at most.

We plan on going the first 3 weeks in September (isn't that specific? lol we are trying to work everyone's schedules together).

So, does anyone have any input/thoughts/considerations?

I am not a horseback rider (yet!) but there are several on here who have more insight. I would recommend you ask your surgeon. I think the concern would be how much you will need to engage your abdominal muscles. While your incisions are healing they want you to be very careful as to avoid hernias in the abdominal wall/incision sites.

Sounds like an awesome trip!

Personally, I cannot imagine you will be ready in September. I would say a to be a good 2 1/2 to three months post op. And that is if everything goes great for you. Since you do not even have a date yet, you will not be that far out. Just my opinion. I do agree with inner surfer girl, ask the doctor. Good luck with the surgery, congrats to a new beginner in life.

I had surgery end of May, and we're planning a camping trip July 10. No riding, just tent camping. And that feels about right

A month might be adequate time before you go trail riding. 6 weeks would be better. But a weekend of riding and camping could be very tiring and strenuous, especially with the restricted calories and types of food you can eat.

The weekend sounds fun, I'd do that first and schedule the surgery for October if you can.

I RIDE, I DON'T THINK IT'S A GOOD IDEA FOR AT LEAST TWO MONTHS.

Thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate it. I will for sure ask the surgeon what he recommends.

I would actually be more concerned about myself if I was riding him in the ring...on the trail he is "point and shoot". LOL he will follow another horse with NO problem, no direction, and without me even telling him what speed to go. He was an Amish plow horse (for 22 years) that is well acquainted to working in a team. He is also BIG lol (which is why I am able to ride, I would be worried about a light horse at my weight).

We will be just walking (we will have a pack horse with us, because there are no garbages, etc, you have to bring out everything you bring in, and no vehicles allowed). As far as rides go, it will be slow and easy, but long. I do have concerns about how long we will be riding (but my friends would be willing to stop whenever I needed), but I don't want to put myself at risk to go for a ride.

I am not a horseback rider (yet!) but there are several on here who have more insight. I would recommend you ask your surgeon. I think the concern would be how much you will need to engage your abdominal muscles. While your incisions are healing they want you to be very careful as to avoid hernias in the abdominal wall/incision sites.

Sounds like an awesome trip!

Thank you so much for this. I was really curious about WHY it may not be a good idea. I was worried that if I asked I would seem argumentative or combative when really, I just want to understand what may be a concern. From what I read, typically surgeons start allowing weight lifting back in around 4 weeks, so I wasn't sure why there could really be a reason for concern.

Hmm....my saddle will be too heavy to hoist up, if I am cleared to go (it's a draft saddle, and at least 35lbs, up high onto his back)...guess my friends will have to do that for me ;) Muahahaha

Everyone is different. I went on a very active (walking) vacation three weeks out and as long as I rested adequately I was fine. The energy zap surprised me (a week out I didn't think I had the energy to stand up for a whole shower because of the hot water!). But by three weeks I was fine.

Actual riding shouldn't be that strenuous on your abs. Lifting could be a problem, but you got friends to help with that. :)

Actual riding shouldn't be that strenuous on your abs. Lifting could be a problem, but you got friends to help with that. :)

I would think mounting and dismounting would also be problematic in addition to lifting a saddle.

Haha....I'm a fat girl with a Percheron, I cant mount from the ground anyway, and at least one of my friends coming also needs to stand on something to mount. Dismounting may be a bit trickier, I usually slide down the saddle to the ground.

I'd wait til October. Beautiful time of year. But you'll know more when you get your surgery date.

For me, I wouldn't do it for a bit longer than that. And, I'd worry about the horse getting accidentally spooked, and gettimg thrown. It happens. I think the constant motion early on will be a problem, not to mention all the new things you have to think about, like getting Protein in, Water, Vitamins, and such.

I wouldn't do it..but that's me! You'll have to decide when the time comes. Best of luck making your decision.

I'd wait til October. Beautiful time of year. But you'll know more when you get your surgery date.

For me, I wouldn't do it for a bit longer than that. And, I'd worry about the horse getting accidentally spooked, and gettimg thrown. It happens. I think the constant motion early on will be a problem, not to mention all the new things you have to think about, like getting Protein in, Water, Vitamins, and such.

I wouldn't do it..but that's me! You'll have to decide when the time comes. Best of luck making your decision.

October here is usually below freezing overnights, and often we see snow :(

I had surgery at the end of April last year and was back exercising my barrel horse as soon as I could lift my saddle. I think it was 8 weeks before I could lift 40 lbs.