Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many ounces of meat can you eat at 1 year post op?

Ok I have heard so many different stories...... How many ounces can you eat before you feel your restriction? I can eat about 8 ounces of baked fish. I can eat 5 ounces of ground turkey and maybe 5 ounces of steak or chops. chicken will vary if it's white meat or dark meat. I just don't know. Lol. Some days I feel I can eat more than others and SOME days I just feel like I am starving, And I get all my Water in too. Just curious to see what everyone else can eat at this point. Thanks!

At 2 years I can eat about 5 oz.

At 10.5 months post op I can eat about the same as you.

Hmm. I don't really know because I keep my meat/fish servings at 3-4 ozs. I could probably fit a bit more, but I like my vegetables too much. I'd much rather have veggies than more meat.

The problem with the way I'm doing things is that I'm still (at just over one year out from surgery) relying on Protein shakes/bars to make my quota every day. I should try eating a bit more dense Protein at a sitting and see how I feel.

I'm lucky if I can get in 3-4 ounces at 1.5 years out. It's why I have to eat several mini meals instead of the typical "3 squares"

At 1.5 years out, I'm still only able to consume about 4 ounces of meat. No complaints here ...

I can eat about four.

At 11 months post-op my capacity for meat (of all kinds) is about 4 ounces. If I ate any more meat than that I couldn't eat any veggies, too. And veggies are important to me -- for Vitamins, minerals, Fiber, trace elements.

At 10 mos. I can eat about 4-5 oz. depending on density.

Edited by LovinSoul

Same here 4-5 depending on density.

I'm glad I found this thread..... my weight loss has slowed. I am 9 weeks post op but started at a lower weight and BMI. I need to not expect to lose it all so fast and be patient in the process. Thanks for all your inputs....very helpful for me. Lisa

I could eat as much as 6 oz of meat IF I wasn't eating any veggies with my meal or only eating three large meals for the day. This doesn't happen often. I do know that it is quite easy for me to eat a whole can of tuna. My capacity is quite large, so I try to make smart choices. I can eat two cups of spinach quite easy, but that is not very dense and can be chewed down to a small amount.

I'm still losing weight slowly (one pound a week) while eating larger amounts and increasing calories. I've started to document better to figure out why this is happening. My best guess is that I'm much more active than usual since I now have more strength and stamina. I'm afraid to add extra carbs to my diet, but may have to do so in order t achieve stability with my weight.

At two years, two months and two weeks out, I can eat 3-4 oz of chicken, shrimp or seafood salad.

Whole meats (including fish) of any variety? 2-3 oz MAX.

You know it's funny, chicken is really filling for me. Especially breast. Must be because it's denser. I know mine are :P