Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why the sleeve?

@@zonetracy Dr. Patterson was my surgeon as well. I really liked her and have loved the office and staff. I had my VSG in December. :-)

@@emcbee are you in the Portland area? How often have your follow up visits been? Dr. Patterson and staff have all been great especially her PA Lisa. I think she's fairly new there.

My niece (in the dress) had gastric bypass May 2014. She has lost a little over 100 pounds. She's had zero complications. She is also now 16 weeks pregnant. This picture was taken last week.

I had the sleeve done in November 2014. (that's me in the white tank) I have lost from 213 on day of surgery down to 125 today. I have had complications. My doctors (not the surgeon that actually performed my surgery) have said that my body just didn't react well to the surgery. They agree that the surgery went as planned, and that it is simply a case of my body reacting poorly to it. I believe that, as I have a neurological condition that causes my body to behave in all sorts or ridiculous ways. I think that my complications are not typical, and therefore should not be feared by most people considering sleeve gastrectomy. There are, of course, risks with any surgery.

My niece and I both had WLS and we both have had weight loss success with the type of surgery we each chose. We were both self pay. Her surgery was $20,000, and included several nights included the hospital. Mine was $11,000, and was outpatient with the surgeon coming to see me for two days afterwards.

post-239867-14357682880021_thumb.jpg

I do not want my intestines re-routed. The sleeve seems like the simplest option. I'm nervous enough to as it is.

Edited by prettyinPINKandGREEN

I chose the sleeve because I have an autoimmune disease that requires me to use NSAIDS at times. With RNY, NSAID's are a never again. My doctor told me so long as I'm on a PPI, I can use NSAIDs with a sleeve. I'm also on other maintenance medications for bipolar, and I didn't want to risk my meds being malabsorbed. So sleeve it was for me! :)

I chose sleeve to avoid the rerouting element. I also have an autoimmune disease, so I needed a procedure that would allow NSAIDS if needed. I am very pleased with my choice. I had a textbook surgery and recovery. I am 7.5 months out and down 122 lbs.

Edited by vsgchick

One of the main considerations I had, was NSAIDS (Advil, Ibupropen, Naprosen, aspirin, etc.) are not an option with Bypass. It is my understanding that bypass patients can never take these anti-inflamatory pain relief ever again. I was told that there are other meds that can be prescribed, but not over the counter. I thought about it, and remembered that I can occasionally get Migraines, and worried that I might develop arthritis as I aged, especially since I have broken several bones. Well, luckily, I did choose the sleeve. I had my surgery in February of this year, and last week, after mild pain in one of my hips, I was diagnosed with SEVERE arthritis in BOTH of my hips. I am so thankful that I can take my Advil!

@@lclemur, I was surprised to read your post that you have been told sleeve patients CAN use NSAIDS. I have been told absolutely NO because of future stomach complications (ulcers, etc).

Just wondering what others' general instructions have been regarding use of NSAIDS with sleeve?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide...

I chose the sleeve because it is a more up to date procedure. I also have had many friends who had the bypass and they have regained all of the weight, whereas with the sleeve you do not regain all of your weight.

The recovery was also quick and it was a very quick surgery.

I had the sleeve because that's the only option given by my surgeon. I have 140 lbs to lose.

I wanted to avoid dumping syndrome so I chose the sleeve.

@livingfree! Sleeve CAN use NSAID whereas gastric bypass cannot. I work in the medical world but not in bariatrics. I was at a conference and they had a session on new developments and info on weight loss procedures so I decided to pop in on it. They made it pretty clear that the NSAID thing is one of the considerations for selecting a procedure. Sleeve can have it, bypass cannot.

Edited by polar

@livingfree! Sleeve CAN use NSAID whereas gastric bypass cannot. I work in the medical world but not in bariatrics. I was at a conference and they had a session on new developments and info on weight loss procedures so I decided to pop in on it. They made it pretty clear that the NSAID thing is one of the considerations for selecting a procedure. Sleeve can have it, bypass cannot.

My surgeon and hospital are rated for bariatric excellence and I was told--as a sleeve patient--that NSAIDS are out of my life forever!

As were mine, but I think we should all follow the advice of our chosen surgeon. That being said, from my understanding, the concern with NSAIDS is an increased likelihood of marginal ulcers. Those occur at the interface of the stomach pouch and roux limb in bypass patients. Those of us with sleeve do not have that particularly vulnerable part of the stomach pouch. I do think it is important for people to know that they can have NSAIDS after sleeve because some people really need them. If my doc told me no NSAIDS after sleeve, I would ask them why. The medical consensus is that they are safe after sleeve, not after bypass. Go from there.

I was initially going to have RNY (the "gold standard" of WLS according to my surgeon's office). However I take a med that would not be effective with RNY absorption issues. After that ruling and while waiting my surgery date, I did more thorough research and the more I read, the more happy I was with the idea of the sleeve. It's been 14 weeks and I couldn't be more thrilled. You can't help but learn to live with it and how to make good lifetime decisions for yourself and your body. Good luck with everything :)