Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am due to have my surgery July 22nd and I was wondering what peoples work out regiments look like. I want to do as much as I can but getting a gym membership is going to be difficult with my family income and having children with no one to watch them. I currently walk everyday any where from 2 miles to 4 miles depending on the weather and how my girls are behaving in the stroller. I would like and all advice!!!

i couldnt afford a membership for a long time either, but now at work i can get a discounted rate. remember not to push yourself too hard, i was doing kickboxing before and am just now able to have enough energy to do about 3 miles, the lack of calories really take a toll on me.

look for a used treadmill or something for your home...

good luck and congrats on your surgery date!

I work out almost every day and have never set foot in a gym. Don't worry about doing anything more than walking for the first few months. After that, if you want more, look into couch-to-5k apps, workout dvd's/streams, hand weights, stuff like that. I started with Leslie Sansone dvd's and moved on to Kelly Coffey Meyer and Cathe Friedrich, focusing on low impact circuit training, HIIT, and weight training. I also did a 5k training app and now run 5k just about every other day,

@@jeanniereenie Thanks! I didn't think of the calorie difference and how that might take a toll and change the way I work out. Thanks for that!

I am 3 weeks post-op and I haven't started exercising yet. As I read posts on here, many talk about a "stall" in their weight loss. I have not hit a stall yet, but when I do, I will up my exercise and have more Protein.< /p>

Good luck, and just know that it is important to be patient as your "new" stomach heals. Doing too much too soon is really dangerous.

@@Bufflehead Did you have any trouble with excess skin from just walking. I am 100% okay with just walking I enjoy it! But I am worried that then it won't help my skin tighten or something like that mainly with my arms. Am I overthinking this or should I just do some arm exercises with it?

You can't tighten skin with any exercise, so there's no point in worrying about that. If you want to do arm exercises that will help burn calories but it won't affect your skin situation one way or the other.

@@Bufflehead is there anything I can do to try and help that along?

@@AWD12368

Weights may help out a little, but I'm afraid how well skin bounces back depends on things mostly out of our control: Age, how much weight we have to lose, how fast we lose...did I say age?? That, I believe, is the biggest factor.

I work out 5 -6 days a week. Mostly Water aerobics. My insurance covers my gym membership. I also have 5lb kettleballs at home. I do a quick set of 10 a few times a day. Walking is a good option. If you have cable check On Demand for work outs. I use them in the winter if I get snowed in and can't get to the gym. If you don't have cable check youtube. They have workouts online for all fitness levels from those who need to do sit down workouts on up. I also have a bike I occasionally ride. My goal is to do at least 60 minutes of some type of activity everyday. I think the core workouts I was doing with water aerobics are what made my surgical experience so easy. I had no pain. Walked in recovery and never needed any pain meds.

Thanks for the posts, I too am wondering when and what type of exercise I can start doing? I am 3 weeks post op and wanting to get started doing something. Is 8weeks the magic number for the stomach to be healed? I know I can ask my surgeon but was hoping to find some real life pro's on here.

@@Babbs I hope that my age goes in my favor I am 25 years old. However, I have been overweight for almost 8 years. But I will also look up some weighted arm exercises. Thank you!

Depends on how you are feeling and your doctor. I was walking from day 1. Doing light 5lb hand weights after week 1 and back in the pool doing Water aerobics by week 3. I had no pain/discomfort post op. If my incisions had scabbed over sooner I would have been back to Water aerobics after week 2.

I was 50 when I had surgery. I'm 51 now. I have been overweight for most of my adult life. You have youth on your side. I would start working out at 3 weeks. Just make note of how your body feels and adjust accordingly.

I jog about 2 mi per day, 5 days x week. Worked my way up to this starting from a half mile. I also do not have a gym membership. I hate running in the cold, though, so my schedule is reduced in the winter. :(