Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op & eating in public!

I honestly found the post op lifestyle to be easier than I expected. I think think the hardest part is going out to eat because I'm scared to get sick so I just take my own snack or food! I'm staring to get sick of that though!! Anyone else run into this problem?

Edited by maxinee

I can understand that issue. My sleeve hates food that has any butter, oil, fats, or sugar in it, so I'm always nervous about eating out. It gets to the point that I end up making myself sick because I'm so nervous about getting sick! For the most part, I just order something that looks least likely to have anything bad in it and then I eat really slowly, so as soon as it starts making me sick, I've only eaten a bit of it, I can stop eating, and have plenty of time to get to the restroom.

I swear anything buttery, battered, bready just makes me instantly throw up. I can't even have a few French fries!! It's getting to the point where I'm just gona eat before I leave lol or carry beef jerky! I was sleeved April 1st 2015 so I'm still a newbie but I hope this feeling goes away

Edited by maxinee

I don't know if you can eat salads yet, but they've become a good standby for me. I usually don't herk up lettuce and chicken (and I'm learning pretty quickly whose grilled chicken I CAN'T handle), and almost everyone carries it.

Good luck to you - it's an experience!

Unfortunately, my darling little sleeve LOVES all and everything. The good news is I very rarely eat out, and I have the most fabulous restriction. At almost a year out I've gotten so used to my sleeve. I stop eating when I get THAT feeling and eat only when I'm hungry. Sometimes that's many times a day, sometimes it's a few times a day. The freedom to just live and eat is awesome. I was blessed to reach my personal goal and without consciously tying I continue to lose.

Yeah the nice thing is I can eat anything but I think my anxiety is what makes it worse! Lol lucky for me I have ocd so I find what works and k stick to it! I just missing having dinner with my family haha I loveeeee Pasta and now if I have three noodles I'm done lol it's so depressing

I'm only out three months and I've lost around 50+ lbs so I'm happy with things so far I just hate when I want something & I know I'll end up sick so I won't have it lol

I'm 5 1/2 weeks out and have eaten out with my husband a few times. I know what I can eat and how much so I usually get Soup and share a non-fried appetizer. On Friday night we decided to have sushi, one of my favorite foods. I was just cleared to eat anything I could tolerate, so it was a little celebration. I had a small cup of egg drop soup (lots of protein!) and two small pieces of sushi. I was full, satisfied and happy. ????

I'm 5 1/2 weeks out and have eaten out with my husband a few times. I know what I can eat and how much so I usually get Soup and share a non-fried appetizer. On Friday night we decided to have sushi, one of my favorite foods. I was just cleared to eat anything I could tolerate, so it was a little celebration. I had a small cup of egg drop soup (lots of protein!) and two small pieces of sushi. I was full, satisfied and happy. ????

I'm only three weeks out and on to puréed foods (including baked fish, chicken, thin sliced meats with gravy) but I am learning what stays down and what doesn't...had a small piece of tilapia at Red Lobster and that was okay but a couple bites of broiled shrimp brought the entire lunch up! Working on recognizing when food is enough to fill and a little more will make me sick. Tonight's baked chicken (1/2 thigh no skin) stayed down just fine. It sure is a challenge...but I know it's also still early!

I'm only 2 weeks out and just started mushy foods. But today my husband and I met some friends at a lobster festival down the Jersey Shore. It was difficult to see everyone enjoying all that good food and not be able to eat. I just kept sipping my Water. I know it will all be worth it. I came hope and ate my refried Beans (for the first time). They were DELICIOUS,

Most restaurants have cottage cheese, so that is my stand by since I have not been clear for salads yet. I am only 3 weeks post op. Last night, my husband ordered fish and chips, so I just ate 2 oz of fish (I took of the breading). It was amazing to be out with him. Although I think the waiter though we were weird for only ordering one entree and a small plate.

That's so awesome!!!! It'll get easier! I just miss certain things like alfredo lol

I eat a lotttttt of tic tacs hahah

I'm 5 1/2 weeks out and have eaten out with my husband a few times. I know what I can eat and how much so I usually get Soup and share a non-fried appetizer. On Friday night we decided to have sushi, one of my favorite foods. I was just cleared to eat anything I could tolerate, so it was a little celebration. I had a small cup of egg drop Soup (lots of protein!) and two small pieces of sushi. I was full, satisfied and happy. ????

I'm only three weeks out and on to puréed foods (including baked fish, chicken, thin sliced meats with gravy) but I am learning what stays down and what doesn't...had a small piece of tilapia at Red Lobster and that was okay but a couple bites of broiled shrimp brought the entire lunch up! Working on recognizing when food is enough to fill and a little more will make me sick. Tonight's baked chicken (1/2 thigh no skin) stayed down just fine. It sure is a challenge...but I know it's also still early!
I love to use the food processor for my meat it shreds it's so fine!

Sleeve made of steel. I've been eating out since I was 6 weeks post op with no problem other than always having a doggy bag. I've never gotten sick from any thing I ate. Sometimes I just order an appetizer and request it be brought out with my meal. Eating out was always a big part of my social life. Working around my allergies is the bigger challenge for me.

I am 7 weeks post-op and just ate out for the first time this weekend.

I order a Water and a coconut shrimp appetizer. The Water came with a straw and I completely forgot that's not allowed so I drank from it and then could only eat 2.5 shrimp. I took home the rest, no weird looks from the waitress, and the people I was with knew about my surgery. Shrimp went down fine... although fried... and the way I see it is this is my new life, not my diet. I felt no guilt for those shrimp and I continue to experiment with food (in little amounts) just the way my sleeve intended. :)

Lol straws are the devil!!!