Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved June 24th & I have questions

I came home yesterday. So far I'm not having trouble with fluids or Protein Shakes. How long after surgery did you stay on pain meds? I'm able to go 6 hours between taking them, but much longer than that and I'm in serious pain again.

I'm trying to get my Vitamins sorted out too. I'm still breastfeeding my 16 month old, so it's extra important that I get good vitamins taken when I'm supposed to. What Calcium supplement does everyone take? What about Iron?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I think about things.

I use Viactiv calcium chews and my surgeon suggested taking a Bariatric chewable Vitamin.< /p>

WOW! You have a lot to think about!

Hi KeepOnRockin!

I stayed on pain meds for 6 days. I really did not need them on day 4 but if I moved around or did some walking, I had some pain. NEVER wait for the pain to get so bad that you MUST have a pill. Take it when you feel about 5/10 on the pain scale. Once the pain gets too high it is so much harder to get rid of.

This soon after surgery don't worry so much about "bariatric" Vitamins. My Dr. told me to concentrate on getting Calcium from milk/protein shakes and not to start the chewable vitamins for at least 10 days--no matter how much you chew them they are a "hard" food. Unless your low on Iron, the sleeve won't make you low in Iron. Trying to get the Protein and learning how your new belly works is really enough right now.

You're gonna be fine

ST

Everyone's bodies are different. I took pain pills for a day or two once out of the hospital. Some people might need them longer some shorter. Also, stressing about too many things will wear you down, do what you need for your wee one, the rest will fall nto place.

I had my sleeve on 6/24 and still take a narcotic pain med mid-day and at bedtime. In addition to that, I also take tylenol extra strength 2-3 times daily.

Keep in mind that Vicodin, Percocet, etc all have tylenol (generic acetaminophen) in them. You should not take more than 4000 mg tylenol in any form in a 24 hour period. I am still writing down diet/painmeds/liquid intake so that I keep everything straight.

The longer you use narcotics, the more problems with Constipation occur. Fluid and exercise will get things moving, but constipation isn't pretty at this point!!!

Thanks everyone! I figured it was normal to be on the pain meds for a while after. I can take them every 4 hours, but during the day I've been comfortably going 6 to 8 hours between doses.

My doc told me to start Vitamins once I was home so that's what I was thinking about. I've got some bariatric chewable vitamins. I'm sure I'll be fine for a bit longer.

My Surgeon suggest the Bariatric chewable and the Calcium chew too. He sells them in his office. Maybe ask your doc what he suggests :) good luck

I was on the pain meds for 3 days after surgery. I did every 4 hours at first as prescribed then I started stretching them out until I was at 8 hours, then quit.

I am on a whole regimen of Vitamins per my surgeon and he also said not to start taking them until a week post-op.

I see my surgeon on Thursday so I'll be 8 days post op. I'm going to hold off on any major decisions until then.