Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Success and Frustration

I am almost 3 weeks out from surgery and am down 45lbs since beginning my pre-op diet. I am thrilled and just absolutely stunned. My feet have stopped hurting already and I can see the weight loss in my face and my pants are fitting better.

While this keeps me motivated.... the frustration of balancing food and Water has been overwhelming. I am mostly scared to eat so I've spent more time than the doc has requested on liquids. He was okay with it though, told me to move on to each stage at my own pace. I've cried tears of frustration on many occassions so far. I find myself waking up in the morning feeling angry to even have to eat anything at all.

Seeking any words of encouragement, advice.... anything! :)

Sounds normal to me. I am 5 days out and spend 90% of my day drinking and planning my next pureed meal. Haven't yet gotten the expected 60 grams of Protein daily, but have come close to 60 oz of Fluid. I am counting on being healthy for the long-term, so I am taking one day at a time.

Anger and depression are part of grief - you have lost part of what you were and are making the emotional adjustments necessary for growth and change. We enter this "adventure" with preconceived ideas about how things will go - when our experience does not equal our dreams, we feel disappointment and anger.

You are in surgical recovery - be gentle with yourself and allow your body and mind to adjust to the massive changes that your are undertaking.

I'm 5'7. I was 371 before pre op diet. 345 at surgery date (June 10th) and 325 today.

This will pass. The first 6 weeks are the hardest. Months down the road, you will have lost weight and feel almost completely normal. Each day, each week that goes by gets better and better. Just hang in there.

Have you returned to work yet?

How is your energy level?

I am returning to work on Monday. They offer a lot of flexibility in that I can work from home as needed... though right now I am dying to spend some time out of the house!

My energy is ok... at first, I was exhausted after taking a shower. Now I feel alright... I can tell my body is tired from the minimal calorie intake but I am getting through the days.

Take it easy - consider starting half days and working up to full days.

You are making fantastic progress - you are still in surgical recovery, so you are spending a lot of energy caring for your basic needs and don't have a lot of emotional or physical reserves.

Be gentle with yourself!!

I stayed in the liquid stage for three months. This wasn't without my doctors consent. It was just what I was most comfortable with. However, my nutritionist gtew concerned that my stomach would have a hard time handling dense Protein if I went any longer than 3 months on a liquid diet.

After 3 months, I started adding in 2-3 ounces of fish or chicken once a day. To my surprise, I didn't gain weight or get out of control. I still have a Protein Drink for Breakfast along with two other meals that contain dense protein.

Glad to hear that WL Warrior! I have started eating greek yogurt, applesauce, Soups and had some scrambled eggs so far along with my shakes. I am happy at that right now. I tried oatmeal the other day... I ended up bed with nausea the rest of the day. Ugh.

Congratulations...you are doing great. You will find what foods work for you. I'm 6 months out and oatmeal still does not work for me so I just avoid it. It gets easier. Get your Protein and that helps the energy level.

@@BizzyB >> you said, " I find myself waking up in the morning feeling angry to even have to eat anything at all."

You can start your day with a Protein shake. I did that for the first 8-10 weeks after surgery. It got my energy level up quickly to make a better start to my day. I didn't worry so much about food either. I found a couple of foods that didn't make me ill and I ate them only for a few days before trying anything else new. Take it slow. It'll be alright. ;)

Anxious to hear how your first day back at work went!