Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any other veterans not at goal or super slow to goal?

I am 2 1/2 years out. It will be 3 years at the end of November. I started out at 418. The first 100 lbs. just melted off. The next 50 lbs. were more of a struggle. I have found myself at the same weight for almost 9 months now. No gains. No losses. Just hanging at 268.

I have a few issues that I struggle with. I am not interested in plastics, but the more I lose the more I just look like a deflated balloon. This is wreaking havoc on my self-esteem. I know that I am healthier. I have engaged in activities in the past year that I never thought that I would be able to do again...camping, hiking and canoeing to name a few. I just wonder how much more gross (this is my word for myself) that I'll look when I reach a truly healthy weight.

I have never had one of those sleeves that make you vomit, but I have restriction and I respect it. I don't push my sleeve. I just make poor food choices. I have gone completely down the slope smack dab into carbs and sugar. Waffle for Breakfast. Veggie fried rice for lunch. Black Bean Burger with bun for dinner. A Pop-Tart and tea before bed. (Picking up on the vegetarian vibe?) I just can barely look at tofu and the premade veggie Protein products are so sodium laced.

I also admit that I abhor exercise. I was going to yoga 3x per week. Then I started having serious back problems. A herniated L4 & L5 with nerve root compression that causes mobility problems with my left leg. I went for 3 different injections, steroids and other, with a minimum bed rest of a week after each one. I totally lost my yoga mojo.

I did the 5 day pouch test. Yes, my sleeve still works. I lost 7 lbs., but I felt like I wanted to eat the arm off my couch. I get legitimately hungry now. Not head hungry. Like my sleeve growls at me hungry.

I know that this is a long post. I'm hoping that there's someone out there with a similar experience or positive encouragement. I beat myself up enough. I've stayed away from the boards for a very long time feeling ashamed for not being at goal. I don't want to hide anymore. I just can't seem to kick myself back into gear. It's like starting from square one except I'm in the 200's instead of the 400's. :blush: Anyone? Thanks!

Next month I am 5 years out. Go read the thread (not started by me) called, "gained all my weight back".

I think reading anything and everything (including this forum) and finding support where you can (support groups can be great) are a good start. If you can find some information on how to love your self that might help; it sounds like you are punishing yourself, but look how far you have come. And you are so tall that that you are not that far from your goal. As far as plastics go (I hate that word BTW) just do one step at a time. And if you want/need to have the surgery to make you feel better then find a way. Lucky for us, there are solutions to these problems. Good luck and good for you for coming back. Keep us posted⁄

Next month I am 5 years out. Go read the thread (not started by me) called, "gained all my weight back".

Thanks. I did read it. Thank God I have never gained any weight since my sleeve, but there was some really good info in the thread.

I was following that thread, but is it me or has it disappeared!

I was following that thread, but is it me or has it disappeared!

I think the thread was actually called I Gained Most of My Weight Back. At least that's the one that I read. Although there are good tips, I haven't gained at all. Just stopped losing. Completely leveled out for the past 9 months.

Found it and made a post so it now comes up in participated tab, for some reason the subscribe link was not working.

Hi Deedee, you have done great!! I hear you want to lose more, but congrats on not gaining. I am a veggie too. I think it is important for you to get in your Protein. That may be the primary reason you have gone into maintenance. The old story, Protein first is great advice. It is not always easy for vegetarians to get in enough protein without getting in carbs too. I have a list of go -tos and sometimes they are my medicine, to keep on track. Do your research, explore recipes, there are protein full pastas, do you eat dairy? I have problems getting in enough protein too, and carbs are my bad friend. Its a struggle, but we can do better. Stop turning up your nose at fake meat and tofu.... find a way to enjoy.

Hi Deedee, you have done great!! I hear you want to lose more, but congrats on not gaining. I am a veggie too. I think it is important for you to get in your Protein. That may be the primary reason you have gone into maintenance. The old story, Protein first is great advice. It is not always easy for vegetarians to get in enough protein without getting in carbs too. I have a list of go -tos and sometimes they are my medicine, to keep on track. Do your research, explore recipes, there are protein full pastas, do you eat dairy? I have problems getting in enough protein too, and carbs are my bad friend. Its a struggle, but we can do better. Stop turning up your nose at fake meat and tofu.... find a way to enjoy.

Thanks for the input. It is a struggle being a vegetarian and losing, but I see that you've done it. I do eat dairy and eggs which help. I may just need more access to better recipes. Sometimes things get lost in typing translation. It's not that I turn my nose up at tofu and fake meat. Tofu has been my go to protein. It's like people who eat chicken every day. You just get tired of tofu, tofu, tofu. Again, maybe I just need a better recipe arsenal. I do eat fake meat too. I'm just concerned with the amount of sodium that comes with the territory of prepackaged food. My body definitely retains Water the more that I eat. So, more research it is. :)

Thanks for the input. It is a struggle being a vegetarian and losing, but I see that you've done it. I do eat dairy and eggs which help. I may just need more access to better recipes. Sometimes things get lost in typing translation. It's not that I turn my nose up at tofu and fake meat. Tofu has been my go to protein. It's like people who eat chicken every day. You just get tired of tofu, tofu, tofu. Again, maybe I just need a better recipe arsenal. I do eat fake meat too. I'm just concerned with the amount of sodium that comes with the territory of prepackaged food. My body definitely retains Water the more that I eat. So, more research it is. :)

One of my hobbies is making fake meat...take a look at Brianna Grogan... some great high protein recipes: http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/p/recipe-links.html

http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/2006/07/buddhas-roast-duck-with-yuba.html

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=853797 (I mix this in a bread machine, then transfer to a crock pot to finish over night)

These are good, you need an oven... http://www.theppk.com/2012/01/vegan_sausage/

This product is pretty good, http://www2.netrition.com/explore_asian_mung_bean_fettuchini.html they also make a black bean variety.... 25 gms protein!

When i cook, it always makes things work better protein wise, but of course its more work!

@@feedyoureye I love that your hobby is making fake meat!! I chuckled a little when I read it. I am a carnivore, so I never heard about fake meat, and that statement caught my attention. I am sure that if I were vegetarian I'd also be making fake meat :)

@@deedeemuffin You have had a significant success, so congratulations! I'm also two and a half years out, and also not really at goal, and maintaining for well over a year. I have vacillated between trying harder to get there and being happy with where I am. It's definitely harder, the further out you are.

I average about 1450 calories a day to maintain this weight, and frankly, it seems like a good weight for me, and I can't/won't eat the 900 calories/day it would require to lose more. I was fat for a reason - in addition to eating too much, my body does not want to be rail thin.

So I've had to adjust my goals and my mindset. I was really determined to get to "GOAL", a somewhat arbitrary number I chose based on BMI charts. When I realized the amount of effort it would require for absolutely no improvement in any aspect of my life, I started to accept that maybe I'm good enough where I am. I haven't adjusted my ticker yet, (not sure why, I guess I haven't reached full acceptance that this is it), but I don't spend a lot of energy fretting about it.

You've achieved a significant goal. You know why you are at the weight you are, as do I. You still have the power - work harder to achieve whatever weight loss goal you have, or change your goal. :)

@@MichiganChic Thank you for your honest post. I definitely have lost a significant amount of weight. I am so much happier and healthier now than where I was. My cholesterol and blood pressure are now normal. I have also adjusted my goals. I still have a goal that is less than I am now, but it's not an ideal BMI. That BMI number the charts dictate (I would have to weigh 173 lbs or less to be considered "normal") is honestly not realistic. At 5'10", with the amount of excess skin that I have it would be a never ending cycle of frustration. In high school I was 180 lbs., super active, a size 12 and not a bit pudgy. Anything under that and my bones literally started sticking out and I looked unhealthy. Let's face it. I'm not in high school, and I'm not going to expect my body to do something it was never built to do.

I have been trying to measure my success by the activities that I am able to do that I couldn't at 418 lbs. and the fact that I was a size 34 and now I'm a very comfortable 18. Ideally where I would like to see myself is right under 200 and in a size 14. There is absolutely this idea that I have that if I don't at least get into the 100's then I'm not at my goal. More importantly, my husband and I are currently in the process of getting certified to become foster parents and also open to the possibility of having a biological child. So, my main focus points are being healthy enough to get pregnant and also being able to keep up with any age range of child that we might foster.

I certainly won't be eating under 1,000 calories again. I average 1,200-1,400 a day which has led to the no loss no gain place where I am now. For now I need to focus on making Protein a higher percentage of my diet and getting in more exercise. Then maybe see where I am at my surgeversary in 5 months. Depending on where I am then, if I really make those efforts, I might need to reevaluate again.

I am also mostly vegetarian (I do eat some fish.) I am one year out and have 60 pounds but am not yet at my personal goal of 155, which I think would be size 12 in clothes. I lost almost nothing from months 6-10 but then I gave myself a big kick in the butt and have been able to start losing again by eliminating all sweets and walking 3-4 miles every day. Now I am losing about half a pound per week- slower than I would like for sure but steady enough to help keep my motivation high. The no sweets really is a key for me because my sugar addiction is fierce and as soon as I have a little having more is all I can think about.

I too never reached goal. I am 5 years out now. My closest was a pound away from my surgeon's - now that is 6lb! I have been bouncing around the same weight for two years. My body is just being really resistant to lose any more!

Unlike you I am only 5'2', so each pound, I feel, make a difference... I haven't given up per se, but I am happy where I am. As you said, healthier fitter and as a pure bonus I look better... but there is still that yearning to reach a 'magic' number!

Even after the first 6 months I had to work for every pound lost, so now I guess I am just a bit bored!

I will keep on keeping on though... good luck to you and remember this is a great place to come for advise and motivation.

I haven't made goal yet either, I am twenty or so pounds away from my goal, I believe I have made my surgeon's goal which was Sixty percent of excess weight.