Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you lose over 1/3 rd of your body wt.?

I have been going through the process of preparing for a bypass. The literature that my doctor gave me says most people lose one third of their total body weight after the surgery. That would put me at 200 pounds and I really want to lose more than that. how many of you have lost more than one third of your body weight and are your results typical?

I've lost more than 1/3 of my body weight and I had surgery less than 6 months ago. I have more than 50 pounds left to go and have no doubt at all that I will get there.

My surgeon said something similar to me at the outset, and I think he was just trying to manage my expectations that WLS isn't a "miracle cure" but a lot of hard work and that success is up to us individually. His long-term tracking data say that their RNY patients lose an average of 60-65% of their excess weight and maintain that same level for at least 3 years. This is at a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence.

Well, I've lost exactly 65% of my excess weight as-of this morning and I have no intention of slowing down. Averages are just averages, and I intend to exceed expectations.

Edited by anaxila

I had surgery 6 months ago, and have lost 104 lbs to date. My goal is to lose a total of 150, so just 46 lbs to go! I don't exercise very much- I go for walks sometimes. Mine is all from eating very clean and healthy 90% of the time. Even my 10% cheat foods are in small amounts and still healthier than I used to eat.

At this point I've lost 85% of my excess body weight and I'm just over 11 months out. Eyes on the prize, baby!

Like anaxila said, averages are just that.

I have definitely lost over 1/3 of my body weight in just 8.5 months. I was 310 when I started, I am 198 now and have 35lbs to go to get to the healthy classification on the bmi charts.

I am no longer obese, just overweight at this point.

Here is the thing, it is 100 percent up to you how far you go with this. Your doctor is telling you about the averages. You can leverage this tool as far as you want to. It is not the surgery that will get you there, it will help you get there by controlling hunger and malabsorbing your food for a period of time. It is up to you to push yourself as hard as you prefer.

Some people are happy getting to a weight that makes them healthier but still overweight. Others want to get to their healthiest possible weight and they leverage that first two years to build excellent habits.

That is what will get you there. I cannot speak to maintenance yet but I believe that has to be the hardest part and if you have not learned good eating habits maintenance will be the hardest part.

Just my two cents....

Good luck on your surgery! I love my new life, every pound lost and size I drop only motivates me. I started out just trying to get rid of comorbitities and as the weight came off and I started to feel fantastic it motivated me to change my goals to get to the healthiest possible weight for me.

All my comorbitities are in remission.

At my smallest after surgery I'd lost half of my body weight. I gained some back over time and I'm steadily losing back to that. You can lose more than 1/3.

I lost over 50% of my starting body weight in 14 months (sleeve).

I think that people who have more weight to lose will lose more than that 1/3. For example. I had RNY at 238 lbs. If I lost 1/2 of my body weight it would be too much. However, if I went in at 600 lbs losing more than 50% would not be u heard of. Considering surgery can be done with BMI's under 40 I see where they get the averages from. An average is just that, an average. You can be on the high or low end. I would work as hard as I can, and not worry about it too much.

@@anaxila you are doing so good! You are an inspiration girl☺

Edited by onmywaytobeingfound

Thank you for all of your replies. I feel better now. ????

Lost just over half (lost 136lbs and now weigh 135). Went from over 70% body fat to 18%

I' ve lost 100 percent of my weight. Started at 265' this morning I weighed 143. I am 2 years out and not having any problems with anything. You can loose as much as you want too. Just follow the plan and you will get where you wanna be. You can do this.

Yes I did and I'll be 8 months post op this month..Rny