Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you choose bypasd?

I told my dr I wanted the sleeve and he said because of my reflux he recommends bypass. Why did you choose bypass over sleeve?

Sleeve was not an option for me, but I chose bypass over lap-band because of the risk of complications associated with lap-band. My MOM is having bypass next month and she chose bypass over sleeve for two reasons. 1) Studies have shown patients with Type II Diabetes who have bypass get rid of the diabetes faster than those who have sleeve. 2) Dumping when you eat something that is too sugary or greasing doesn't appear to happen with the sleeve and she wants to use it as an incentive to keep from 'cheating'. I will say that I have two relatives who've had the sleeve. My cousin has lost over 100 pounds and is doing well. My uncle who first had a failed lap-band, then revised to a sleeve, has not had significant weight loss and eats as bad as ever. I think it's a good tool, but I think it requires commitment. I hope that helps.

I chose the bypass for a couple reasons. 1) I was told with my reflux, it was the best option and 2) my weakness Is sweets and with the bypass, high sugar foods are difficult to digest. Unfortunately I STILL have reflux. They're a bit baffled as to why. I still have a hiatal hernia, which I thought would also be gone, but.....nope. So I'm taking 2 different meds for it, but I still have it most everyday.

BUT....I cannot eat much for sweets, which is a good thing for me!!

I've lost 91 pounds since October 2014. So it's working! :D

Originally I wanted the Bypass but because of my multiple sclerosis and potential for steroidal use during flare ups my doc wouldn't do it and I was given the sleeve. I was successful, lost over one hundred pounds but gained reflux.....Last year I had some serious health issues of which I was immobile and have since gained forty pounds back. I am now scheduled for the Bypass there is still a potential for steroidal concerns but at the moment not an issue. September 21st is my date.

If you have been on many boards, you may see my reply that I wish I had just went with the Bypass to begin with. Well.....prayerfully and with therapy, third time is a charm - I have had the lapband, revised to sleeve and soon revised to bypass.

Best wishes

Edited by India928

@India928---Good luck to you!!!

I've also had the band, I definitely wish I'd just done the bypass from the beginning. The band was just not a good deal. Although I know it works for some. I just ended up with complications, but had lost 85 over the first 2 years. Then ended up gaining most of it back the last 2 years I had it.

I choose bypass for a few reasons. It's been around the longest and there are the most studies on it. Many people have complications with the band, and I didn't want to risk having to do another surgery. And the sleeve is pretty new, so I didn't feel as comfortable since there are less studies about it and the long term effects.

Also, my doctor said that on average bypass patients lose a higher percentage of their excess weight than band/sleeve patients. I wanted the absolute best outcome I could get.

I've never had a "horrible" dumping experience. I'll get really nauseous if I eat too much, too fast, or don't chew my food fast enough.

It passes within about 20-30 mins.

If I eat something with too much sugar or fat, I'll get really warm, face gets red, heart races....for about 10 mins. It's not pleasant by any means, but I've never had to throw up, or the other end, LOL. I know a lot of people do though.

You just have to be careful with what you eat. Every time I've had one of these bad experiences, it simply means, I WON'T eat whatever it was that caused it!! It is NOT worth it to feel yucky!

It's a life change for sure!! But SOOOOOOO worth it to lose the weight! For my first 5-6 months, I was pretty miserable, so many things made my nauseous. I questioned my decision, but once I really figured out how to deal with my feisty stomach pouch and things calmed down, I would MOST DEFINITELY do it again!! No regrets at all!!

I won't lie to you--it is a whole new challenge with food. At least for me it was. Instead of being obsessed with my next meal and what I was going to eat, it's now, "Crap, guess I should eat something today?!" But NOTHING sounded good, no cravings, nothing. I simply eat to nourish my body now. I CANNOT use food as a coping mechanism, so I'm forced to deal with my feelings and work through them, rather than stuff them with food!

It's a good thing! But just a new challenge!

Good luck to you!!!

The main reason I chose bypass is the reflux issue, and because I personally felt that I needed both restriction and malabsorption to obtain the best result for me.

I'm already on a heavy daily Vitamin regimen so I'm not overly concerned about staying on top of that.

Edited by The Candidate

So far I haven't had a major issue with dumping. I'm only in week 3, but I've been trying lots of new foods and haven't had any major issues (ground beef didn't get along with my stomach though). From everyone I know who has had bypass, I've heard of no major issues with dumping syndrome. As long as you eat what you're supposed to, you will be fine. Dumping syndrome is typically from too much sugar. So when you get to a point that you can introduce sugary/unhealthy foods (if you avoid them all together kudos, but let's be honest, we're all human!) you just need to remember to only try a bite or two, and don't multiple new foods at once.

I went in wanting the sleeve. My surgeon suggested by pass for several reasons, I was already border line diabetic, my reflux and because he wanted to see me lose more weight than what he expected I'd lose with the sleeve. He thinks I'll lose 90% with the bypass be 60% with the sleeve. I've known many people who got the sleeve and they have done well, but the fight to lose the 40 lbs is present. It's a true struggle.