Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a 2 night stay. I'm planning on bringing lip balm, deodorant, toothbrush and travel toothpaste, brush and hair tie, phone and extra long charger. I'm going to wear comfy clothes in and wear the same clothes home. I may pack a pair of loose pj pants to wear under my gown so I'm more comfortable while walking.

Oh I did use chapstick too! A lot! I couldn't eat or drink anything for the three days I was in there but I was allowed to use these little sponges on sticks in ice Water to wet my tongue and such. They were so cute!

I had a 1-night hospital stay, and like a lot of others, I packed more than I needed. My hospital is about 25-30 minutes from my house.

What I packed and actually used:

• Chapstick--my lips were really dry after surgery
  • Heating pad--I put it behind my shoulder blades, and it helped a lot with the gas pain
  • Pillow--it was comforting to have my own memory foam one in addition to the hospital ones
  • Kindle--by midday the day after surgery, I wanted something to do between laps of the floor. The noise of the TV irritated me, so I just read something that I've read before, nothing deep.
  • Scrunchie & hairbrush--the soft scrunchie worked better for me than a regular hair tie so I didn't have an uncomfortable bump on the back of my head when I rested it against the pillow
  • My surgery binder--I have all my paperwork, instructions, etc. in a binder that I take to all my appointments

What I packed and never used:

• Shorts--like others, I just wore a second gown like a robe when I was up. I also just wore the grippy socks they give you to walk, no need for slippers
  • Multiple changes of underwear--I don't usually wear underwear to bed, and didn't want to be fumbling them up and down, so frankly I just went commando the whole time
  • Incontinence pads--I have stress incontinence and was worried about needing them if I was throwing up. Never puked in the hospital, never wore underwear anyway
  • Toothbrush & toothpaste--just used the ones the hospital provided, as they were already in the bathroom
  • Face wipes--I went home the afternoon after surgery and just figured I'd wait until I got home to get cleaned up
  • Biotene mouth spray--I was allowed ice chips once I got to my room, so I didn't need it
  • Gas-X strips--the heating pad and walking helped my gas pain, didn't need them
  • Phone charger--I didn't turn my phone on until just before I was discharged, so no need of it
  • Extension cord--thought I might need it for the charger or heating pad, but my hospital is brand-new and tricked out, so there was a free outlet right next to my bed

A pillow. The hospital ones are not comfortable.

So many great ideas and suggestions! Thank you all. I don't think I'll bring too much since the consensus is I probably won't use it, which makes sense.

I've been reading on many posts that the gas is one of the biggest struggles while in the hospital. I sure hope it goes smoothly for me. I'll keep y'all posted!

I was too doped up to use any of my gadgets, however, a pillow for the ride home would have been nice-lots of pain????

@@ashley126 - lipbalm! you are going to be sooooo thirsty if you had to wait almost 30hrs to drink for the leak test!

Edited by jane13

I did go with in addition to Chapstick which was a blessing. It was a positive attitude. I think that was huge. My surgeon does surgeries on Mondays and Tuesdays. I was sleeved on Tuesday. So if you can imagine the halls were full of people attempting to walk after their procedure as there is only a 12 bed unit. Now I'm not Susie sunshine but there were quite a few people that were very negative about the experience which then I believe probably affected how they felt. I have the expectation that it was going to hurt and how much pain I was willing to put up with. I never let my pain get past a bad period pain, just a little higher. However I did find a lot of relief in walking. I literally walked until almost 11 o'clock at night the first day at least every hour about 200 to 300 feet each time. As I was walking through the hallway there were some such as myself, and then others who appeared very miserable and extremely medicated. I guess just set a limit for yourself and really push to get moving. On my one week postop surgery I walked 1 mile with my dogs at home. I started walking during my mandatory supervised weigh ins for four months. At that time I could only go about .2 miles and slowly build myself up to where I'm at now. I think that I really anticipated a lot of pain because of the YouTube or other blogs but I have been blessed with a great experience I hope yours goes well too.

I didn't bring much other than the bare essentials like my cell, deodorant, hair brush, toothpaste/brush, extra pair of undies and socks and the clothes I wore to the hospital. Make sure you to take loose fitting clothes.

I usually chuckle when I see these type of posts..... They should be in the powder Room. Men and women just do things differently...And that's OK.....that's the way it should be.

From a guy point of view.....which I'm sure the OP really isn't interested in.......I came to the hospital the day of surgery with shorts and T shirt on, wearing flip flops.....and that's it. No bag, no wallet, keys, no jewelry, no nothing. Put the clothes in their plastic bag before surgery and then put them back on in the room after surgery. (Makes walking the halls after surgery a little more dignified). Then wore them home two days later.

But then, that guys....we're just that way...... ;)

PS. Besides, for what it was costing......I treated it like a hotel.....if I needed something I just asked for it like room service. Everything was just fine.

Ashley126, here's the thing about shoulder gas..........it is residual CO2 left over from the surgeon expanding your abdominal cavity so that it is easier to manipulate the surgical tools. I was so worried about it that I asked my surgeon how he handles pain management in that respect. He said that he extracts as much as possible before closing up. Needless to say, I did not have any issue with gas pain at all. I do not know why more surgeons don't take that one little extra step.

chapstick, toothbrush and clean undies. Wore home the same sweats I wore in. The less you take the less you could lose. Plus you won't use anything. When you aren't sleeping you are up walking, then you go home.

Ashley126, here's the thing about shoulder gas..........it is residual CO2 left over from the surgeon expanding your abdominal cavity so that it is easier to manipulate the surgical tools. I was so worried about it that I asked my surgeon how he handles pain management in that respect. He said that he extracts as much as possible before closing up. Needless to say, I did not have any issue with gas pain at all. I do not know why more surgeons don't take that one little extra step.

Adds that to her list of questions for the 2nd of July ! Thank you @@Miss Mac

Hugs

Kate

Makeup remover? You will have no energy to put on makeup! I packed a bag but only ended up using my toothbrush and hairbrush. Bring a change of clothes to leave in.

I stayed in my gowns the whole time, commando - underwear bands may rub up on your incisions, same with the underwire of a bra when sitting up.

Edited by meowmers