Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am one week postop. I was sleeved in Tijuana Mexico on Monday, June 15. I went through bariatric pal and my surgeon was dr. Jesus Lopez Dominquez.

I want to add that though I was confident in my decision to go to Mexico I will admit that I was skeptical the entire time. When I set foot in the airport at San Diego to go home I knew that I had not been mislead in any way.

My husband and I arrived in San Diego airport on Sunday, June 14. We had about a 10 minute wait before we were picked up. The young man who picked us up lived in San Diego and spoke english and was a very polite and friendly young man. He drove us the 20-30 minutes to the recovery house. We drove straight across the border in the medical pass lane with no waiting.

The recovery house is a 2 bedroom apartment (it was a nice apartment). The BariatricPal staff worked out of the neighboring apartment. You will not be in the apartment alone. It is set up for two patients and their traveling companions. At this time, if they have overflow patients, they house them at the Hilton which is about a 10 min walk from the apartment. The difference between being housed at the apartment and the hotel is that at the apartment, you get constant and immediate assistance from the BP staff. If you want to go somewhere, they take you and have someone with you that will translate. if you need broth or other items from the store they will either have it delivered or they will go get it for you. The Hilton will not send someone down the road to buy you a Gatorade if you need one. If you are the type that would rather be left alone, the Hilton is for you. As for us, we enjoyed the staff and their company.

We arrived in Sunday for a Monday morning surgery so my Surgeon came to the apartment on Sunday afternoon and gave me a complete description of what was going to happen and answered any questions or concerns I might have. On Monday morning a driver came to the apartment and picked myself and my husband up and drove us to the hospital. We were immediately taken to a room and given the usual gown and surgical hose to change into. My nurse, Karen, (who is amazing BTW) started my IV and took blood. The blood was tested there at the hospital. I was then seen my Dr. Trasvino who was the internal medicine doctor and he did the EKG and gave me the results of my blood test. He was very thorough and discussed any concerns he had about my general health. I was then visited by the Anesthesiologist. I don't remember her name but she was absolutely gorgeous and very kind and funny. They then walked me into the surgery room where there were 3 doctors, the anesthesiologist and two nurses. I was given a shot through my IV and that is the last I knew until I woke up in my recovery room.

My husband had me up and walking as soon as I could get my legs under me and quite frankly I don't remember anything before 7 pm and my surgery was around noon. They did have a bed in the room available for my husband if he wanted to stay. I am kind of funny about that and we decided he would sleep at the recovery house because I really don't like being stared at while I sleep. It gave me peace of mind knowing he was resting well. While away from try hospital my husband always had someone with him that spoke english and showed him around. He even got to go to the beach which he enjoyed.

I had around the clock care by nurses and doctors. The hospital I stayed in was small but was big on expertise and ability. The big thing that I noticed is that in America you have your doctor and you are his patient and no other doctors see you. In Mexico, every doctor there would stop in and check on me and make sure I was ok. I stayed two nights in the hospital and upon release on Wednesday we were picked up by a young lady who drove us to the radiology place and they performed a second leak test then she drove us back to the recovery house where we spent one more night

While at the recovery house, my surgeon came to check on me and talk to me about the results of my leak test and also post-op care and answer any questions. I also saw the internal medicine doctor and the nutritionist came to the apartment and went over my post-op diet in detail. Thursday morning we were pickup and driven back to the airport a few hours before our flight. It took us about an hour to get back across the border. It was a much shorter line because it for medical vehicles. You do not need a passport but you will need either your passport or a picture ID and a certified copy of your birth certificate.

I was never in pain. I was sore but not in pain. I never had any nausea and never threw up. I didn't have any difficulty swallowing. If I got the gas pain in my stomach or throat, I simply got up and walked. I never got the severe shoulder and chest pain I read so much about on the forum. My doctor didn't allow anything for 24 hours after surgery. No ice chips. No Popsicle. Nothing. Then 24 hours after I was given a Popsicle to eat slowly. They would bring me a Popsicle or ice chips anytime I wanted some. But that is all I was allowed until I was released on Wednesday. After I got back to the apartment, the staff had broth delivered to me from a local restaurant. It was the best broth I have ever eaten!

Things I didn't know, that you might like to know:

1. You will be sharing the apartment with other people.

2. You can eat the day before surgery even if you are on a liquid diet. Just nothing 10-12 hours before surgery. However, you can't have cokes or too much bread product. When we went to eat on Sunday the BP staff with us was knowledgable to let me know what I could and could not eat.

3. You do pay for your own food. As patients we won't be eating much but your traveling companion will. Any broth delivered is our responsibility to buy but is very cheap.

4. Be prepared to walk. Everything is within walking distance of the apartment and you will be walking. If you want to take a taxi, you pay for it. And again that was not expensive. If you do take taxis a BP staff will go with you to translate. BP provides transportation to and from the airport and to and from the hospital. Anything else you either walk or take a taxi. But you won't be alone unless you choose to stay at the Hilton.

5. Pack sterile bandages for your incisions because they are not provided when you leave the hospital and you can't find them in Tijuana.

6. The comment "we own 2 luxury condominiums" in the initial package is misleading. They are nice apartments and one is occupied by staff. By American standards the apartments are middle of the line but clean. Absolutely not "luxury condominiums".

7. The comment "We pick you up in person at the airport not curbside like most other companies." We were picked up curbside after a 10 min wait.

If I choose to have plastic surgery in a year, I will schedule it with BariatricPal. I have complete confidence in them.

Amazing!!!!

Am so happy to hear about your experience!! I am having surgery on Friday with dr. Jesus Lopez. Am very excited and a little nervous, I have not had a lot of communication. Couple of questions if you have the energy . :) I am going down by myself. Did you feel safe? Am guessing I should bring some cash for things like broth and taxis etc. any ballpark estimate of how much I should bring? Have thought about bringing my iPad, but don't want to haul it everywhere, is there a way to keep it secure?

Glad to hear about the food, have not really spoken with the nutritionalist as she is traveling,

I am so glad to hear about your experience! I hope you have the greatest success!