Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tomorrow is my surgery. I am nervous. Any advice?

Me too, Debbie. I just want to get through this next part. It seems like the responses to surgery are all over the place. For some it is a breeze. For others it is more of a challenge. Hoping for the former rather than the later.

Me too!!! I'm believing it will be smooth

Hi guys I'm also going in tomorrow!

Good luck to you all and yes the post-op recovery seems to be all over the place. Mine was easy breezy. Remember to sip, sip, sip. You won't be able to get much in but every day gets better so stay at it. Focus on liquids first then try to get your Protein in. You will still be healing so relax and work at it every day.

I'm tomorrow, too! Good luck everyone. Oddly enough, I'm not really nervous. A little anxious, but I'm ready. I feel very informed and have no doubts this is the right thing for me. It's sort of a peaceful feeling actually.

No advice to help the anxiety, but best first post-op advice I had was drinking from a medicine cup. It holds 1 oz and you need to try to drink 1 oz every 15 minutes while you are awake for the first few days to a week. (It gets easier after that.) You cannot (or at least I could not) drink the entire ounce at once, but I would set an alarm on my phone for 5 minutes and then every 5 minutes sip 1/3rd of the medicine cup. Once I started this (even did it with my broths and shakes), it get me rehydrated pretty quickly. Concentrate on the fluids.

Good luck! You will be so glad you did this and 24 hours from now on your way to recovery / healthy life!

I do not know where all of you stand in the spiritual realm, but I wanted to share this as we look to tomorrow. This is from The Message

"Give your entire attention

to

what God is doing right now,

and

don't get worked up about

what may

or may not happen tomorrow.

God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up

when

the

time

comes." Matt. 6:34

Praying for you, friends.

I'm in Chicago

@@ShrinkingPeach what, if anything, do you think helped your initial recovery? Glad to hear it went so well for you. I know it doesn't help anything worrying, but it's the initial downtime/pain/issues that concern me the most. I'm in grad school currently and while I can work from home, I'm worried that I'll be in too much pain or that my brain will feel too broken to concentrate. I'm trying to work ahead as much as possible--surgery on July 13th. Like I said, I know worrying isn't productive--and to be honest I am more excited than anything, ready to move forward!--but I still have to ask/feel prepared and all that!

Hey, maybe the GA climate helped your healing. If so, then I'm golden! (in Atlanta)

Thanks.

Well howdy neighbor! I am in Lawrenceville! I think that my pre-op chnages in eating habits definitely helped. I started high Protein low carb in January prior to surgery. I had lost 45 pounds before surgery and I can't imagine that didn't help.

I followed my pre-op diet for the two weeks prior to surgery to the letter. The purpose of course being to shrink my liver for surgery and I wanted a safe surgery. I truly believe that it makes a difference in their being able to more easily get to your stomach. I think those that cheat think it is no big deal but I have to wonder how that correlates to the differences in recovery after surgery for those who didn't shrink their liver as much as others.

I also had a hernia repair with my sleeve surgery and still did fine!

I was a good patient and stayed on my pain meds for the first 3 days. I took them by schedule so I didn't let them wear off before taking more. I stayed on top of any pain that might have been. When I was awake I was moving, walking around the house and getting up.

I drank as much as I could get in, I drank as much Protein as I could to help promote healing. Now mind you I couldn't get in much but I strived to get more every day.

Day 2 I had my emotional meltdown just because I couldn't get a lot of Fluid in and I had a panic moment but after that 30 minutes I never looked back.

You will do fine! Good luck!!