Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some fashion advice

I found a cute dress on clearance at Target, it fit (as in, went over my body - I'm not sure if it looks okay, lol), so I impulsively tossed it in the cart. Anywho, the back leaves me pretty exposed and I've been having trouble figuring out what to wear under it. No luck finding a bra that doesn't show but still keeps Wilma and Betty where they belong. Yesterday, I found a sports bra in almost the same color as the dress.

It's hard to tell in the picture, but below where the straps come together but before the zipper starts, there's another hole. In this pic, it's covered completely by the purple bra. With my hair down, MOST of it should be covered (between the straps, not the bottom hole), but it'll stick out when I move.

Question is, honestly, is it tacky to wear the dress with this bra? I really just don't know if this is okay or not. Still outgrowing the "gimme the biggest tent in sporting goods and cut a neck hole for me, please" stage.

post-195514-0-76038300-1434941255_thumb.png

I think it works fine, but I have come to realize it doesn't matter what other people think.....if you think you might obsess about it when you're out, you won't be comfortable and will just worry about it. On the other hand, if you feel like it works, the flaunt it!! It basically looks like part of the dress. Enjoy!

I think it looks fine and part of the dress but as veronda said its how you feel wearing it.

Hugs

kate

It's fine you can rock this congrats .

Cute and would be cool for the weekend, wouldn't recommend this combo for work or anything formal.

Still outgrowing the "gimme the biggest tent in sporting goods and cut a neck hole for me, please" stage.

This made me laugh!

I can't tell if it's sleeveless or not but if yes, how about putting on a short sweater or shrug over it? I have several sleeveless dresses that I do that with because it's just more appropriate for work.

It depends on if it is a casual type dress or one to be worn to work, social events, etc. If very casual, then I say go for it. If for work or social events, I like @@gowalking's suggestion of a shrug or lightweight jacket (assuming the dress would look good with a shrug or jacket).

Thanks, all! I work in a casual environment but figured I'd put a denim jacket on with it since it's always cold. It sounds like I can get away with not roasting in the jacket for errands later, though :)

I appreciate it - I really am new at this whole "dressing cute" business!!

I couldn't see it clear enough to tell if it is flattering, but I would totally wear that with that complimentary color sports bra!

I have some tops that there is no bra that works, so I have a racer back with cute color, thin straps that get lost in the shuffle of the strappy things on the back of the top and feel very comfortable in it.

I guess there are bras with clear plastic straps, but I think they would not be comfy!

I would keep trying to find something that works underneath, or wear with the jacket. I'm sort of strange about bra straps though so it's probably a personal preference thing.

Thanks! I've tried the clear straps, and they just make me look dented, lol. :D

In the bra section at target, they sell these heart shape gadgets that allow you to clip your bra straps together so that you can adapt your normal bra. I can't really tell from the pic if that would help you out or not. (You can find them on the display that has those silicon pasty bras)

Susan

Thanks, Susan! I got one of those, but that dratted hole under the straps foiled my plan!

I found a cute dress on clearance at Target, it fit (as in, went over my body - I'm not sure if it looks okay, lol), so I impulsively tossed it in the cart. Anywho, the back leaves me pretty exposed and I've been having trouble figuring out what to wear under it. No luck finding a bra that doesn't show but still keeps Wilma and Betty where they belong. Yesterday, I found a sports bra in almost the same color as the dress.

It's hard to tell in the picture, but below where the straps come together but before the zipper starts, there's another hole. In this pic, it's covered completely by the purple bra. With my hair down, MOST of it should be covered (between the straps, not the bottom hole), but it'll stick out when I move.

Question is, honestly, is it tacky to wear the dress with this bra? I really just don't know if this is okay or not. Still outgrowing the "gimme the biggest tent in sporting goods and cut a neck hole for me, please" stage.

attachicon.gifcantdressmyself.PNG

I hope you got it, wore it, loved how you felt in it! You should be proud of your body after all your hard work. And I've noticed that girls don't seem to worry as much about the bra showing. I know this used to be taboo, but now all the fashions are practically see-thru anyway with the current crochet trend! (lol)

I'm excited for you, hope you rocked it!

I sort of agree with @@woo woo. I come from a generation when bra straps showing was a no no, fashion-wise. While I don't think the bra looks bad, I don't think it looks "classy" or elegant. So IMHO, if you're cool with it and feel comfortable in it, go for it. I don't think the major fashion houses would give it the thumbs up though.....LOL