Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! what are the amounts of things you are suppose to eat post op?

I know the Protein is around 65-75 grams, and Water is 64 ounces, Vitamins, but what else? fruit juice etc???

My surgeon says to stick to Water because juices has a lot of added sugar. But I'm kinda curious about drinks with sweeteners. Does anyone else use them?

You can do 50/50 with juice and Water. I guess its trial and error as to what works for you but I wouldn't have it full strength. Has to be juice with no 'bits' in it.

Kate

My surgeon says to stick to Water because juices has a lot of added sugar. But I'm kinda curious about drinks with sweeteners. Does anyone else use them?

I think it isn't a good thing except in early recovery phase. My nut says liquid calories is a major way people regain

I will be in my post op liquid diet phase. So what do I need at that point? I wasn't very clear...

were you not given a manual to follow? I was given a very precise manual for after surgery...

no juices on my list :(

you can have diet kool aid, diet tang, the low cal gatorage and Powerade, propel light, super free popsicles, sugar free Jello

Seriously were you not given information from your nutritionist? I am consistently surprised at this question. I see it all the time asking what to eat and when.

If you do not have printed material from your surgeon or the nutritionist he/she works with then request some. you should be following a plan that works. Everyone is different and you will get advice on a dozen different plans on here and you could mix them all up.

For the best results follow what your surgeon recommends.

@@likelike, Generally I don't, but I do still use sugar in my tea in the morning. Sometimes I just need my go-go juice, lol.

@@tiarowley, I know some surgeon's offices are less informative than others. Everyone's advice to check in with them is great - they get paid to make sure you understand! :). I've noticed a lot of hospitals and bariatric centers post their guidelines on their website. If you really can't get anywhere with their office, I'd say take a look at some other good hospital surgical sites and check out their post-op progression information. Hopkins has it for sure, but it might not match what your surgeon's intentions for you are.

In the meantime, sugar free Clear liquids, broth, and Jello are pretty universally recommended immediately post-op. If you're on full liquids, now's when you can start on those Protein shakes.

Congrats on your sleeve!

Edited to add: Sorry, you were asking about amounts - with liquids, it's less the amount than the speed. Just keep taking in any of your liquid choices all day long, at a speed that's comfortable for you, as long as it adds up to at least 64 ounces.

I agree with all the others who say to try to get a detailed plan from your surgeon/nutritionist. In my very early days post-op (within the first week) I was encouraged to get as much Water as possible, but I was also allowed to drink Decaf tea, 50/50 fruit juice and Water, Vitamin water, and G2. I was told to cut out the caloric beverages ASAP, but if I needed them to get in all my fluids in the first week, it was okay.

I was allowed my Protein shakes two days post-op and drinkable yogurt at 4 days post-op.

I agree that you need to get specific instructions from your surgeon and NUT.

My clear liquid phase was Clear liquids with the exception of premier Protein shakes and ProtiDiet Soups (tomato basil and creamy chicken). I used ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrate, too. Contrary to what some surgeon's programs advise, my surgeon stressed the importance of getting in Protein early. When you are on Clear Liquids it helps if most all of your liquids have some kind of protein. In addition, Water and sugar free Popsicles were important.

As to amounts, sip all day and aim for 64 oz Fluid and your protein goal (mine is 100 grams).

Sip, sip, sip.