Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Early on exerciser- lower back ache

Morning!

I have been walking more and more- I added music to my walks which makes all the difference. I got my sweat on this morning! However, after 1.25 miles most of me was ready to try a second lap and my lower back started to ache.

I know posture matters too but mine has improves greatly and someone even remarked on it yesterday.

I am considering getting a sports bra to keep excess weight centered, begin core exercises to strengthen my other muscles...I am frustrated because I want to exercise! Lol...So I'm wondering if anyone else ran into this and what you've done...maybe it is a matter of me losing more weight first. I just don't know.

Edited by MissLiss

@@MissLiss,

Good for you! I have the same problem with back aches while walking. As we lose weight everything drops lower putting pressure on our spines. Just make sure you ice after your walks.

Good luck!

Don't laugh, but it may be your feet, as well as your back! Do you, by chance, wear orthotics? It might be an idea, because when you think about it, your WHOLE body has changed, and your feet carry the load - lightened or not. When your weight changes, so does how your body carries it. Start with your feet, for example having orthotics to support everything that rides above them, is a way to reduce the strain on feet, ankles, knees, hips, LOWER BACK.....all the way up. I can't live without my orthotics. You can do custom (mine run about $600, or not - you can get nice ones that aren't custom at drug stores or even Walmart. Just make sure they fit correctly, and have good, strong support. Change them frequently if they are not custom, as they do lose their support over time.

If you already wear customs, but haven't had them changed since you've lost a lot of weight, you may wish to have them redone, as the dynamics of your feet change with weight change. Same thing for orthotics that are NOT custom.

I even needed to change the suspension on my Harley with my weight loss! Now THAT is an NSV!!!

Look on Pinterest, or just Google 'Plank Challenge'. It's a plan for getting your core in better shape and it really helped me! You start out with 20 second planks (which I thought would kill me) and then work your way up. Also, a good sports bra DOES go a long way. Good luck with the exercising! It's great that you are out there early in the process moving more.

Sometimes it can be the impact your feet moving and hitting the ground with the weight impact on the back. Try the cross trainer as you can get the same workout without the impact.

Don't laugh, but it may be your feet, as well as your back! Do you, by chance, wear orthotics? It might be an idea, because when you think about it, your WHOLE body has changed, and your feet carry the load - lightened or not. When your weight changes, so does how your body carries it. Start with your feet, for example having orthotics to support everything that rides above them, is a way to reduce the strain on feet, ankles, knees, hips, LOWER BACK.....all the way up. I can't live without my orthotics. You can do custom (mine run about $600, or not - you can get nice ones that aren't custom at drug stores or even Walmart. Just make sure they fit correctly, and have good, strong support. Change them frequently if they are not custom, as they do lose their support over time.

If you already wear customs, but haven't had them changed since you've lost a lot of weight, you may wish to have them redone, as the dynamics of your feet change with weight change. Same thing for orthotics that are NOT custom.

I even needed to change the suspension on my Harley with my weight loss! Now THAT is an NSV!!!

I quite agree with Canyon Baby. I am a CPED (Certified Pedorthist) which is like being a pharmacist to a Orthopedic Surgeon/Podiatrist. Supporting the "palm of your foot" the primary or medial arch is so important. Just as important is the athletic shoes you are wearing. Remember, they need to be replaced every 4-6 months or 4-600 miles. They may look great in terms of tread and uppers but the cushioning in the sole that makes them so comfortable is like bubble wrap and is flattened a bit with every step. Considering our weight, they often "bottom out" even sooner. Find a good running store or comfort/orthopedic store and have a gait assessment done. This is usually done free of charge. Finally, wear the appropriate shoe for your foot and gait. Make sure you are in the correct size. Most athletic shoes run about a full size short. I usually recommend running shoes over walking shoes as running shoes are built with more support and "toe spring" which helps the foot roll through more efficiently. Brands I would recommend are Brooks, New Balance, Asics, Saucony and Hoka. Reebok, Skechers, Nike and Easy Spirit should be avoided for your workout as they just do not have the right amount of support. Under no circumstances should Keds or Toms be worn as you performance shoe. WE don't want to create issues that will take us off our feet. Don't forget to wear good socks. Micro Fiber, wool and silk are good choices. Contrary to popular thought, cotton is to be avoided as cotton will absorb creating a damp environment for the foot. It also increases in tensile strength when wet so makes it easier to blister. This is probably too much info but hope it helps.

@@Shustar

Thanks for the suggestions! My podiatrist has suggested the same brands of shoes you did, so I guess great minds think alike! And I agree with the cotton sock issue, they sure don't stay dry, and definitely can cause blisters! Thanks again!

Wow- great feedback guys!

I'm a little daunted by the orthotics- I feel like money has been running through my fingers like Water these days- on everything but my grocery list.

But it seems from what has been said getting store bought one is better than not having a set at all?

Thank you for the shoe recommends too I have an older pair of Oboz and they should be replaced soon too.

Thanks guys!

My suggestion for OTC "over the counter" would be Aetrex, Powerstep or Spenco. Stay away from most of the Dr. Scholl's. Not much support for the $'s.

In addition to the shoe suggestion, try adding Epsom salt to a hot bath and soak. Great for strained and sore muscles!

Thank you Shustar!

I really like the Spenco flipflops, and orthaheel/Vionic sandals. They have the soles built on an orthotic-type bottom. I have severe flat feet, and I can wear these all day without my heel spurs acting up. I try to only wear them one day at a time, though, then wear the normal sneaker-shoes with my orthotics in them, so my feet don't get any "great ideas"!!!!

More food for thought ..... Are your hamstrings tight? Tight hams can lead to lower back pain ( my issues) get massages and work on strengthening your gluteus ( weak gluteus leads to tight hams which can lead to lower back pain ..... Also you can purchase foam rlers and you can roll it out and do mask r stresses

I get back pain from standing at work all day. I have found that stretching and beginner's yoga for back pain (on YouTube by Adrienne) helps a great deal!

An easy heat pack you can use again and again is: take a longer sock and fill with uncooked rice and even dried Beans if like. If you are not herbs and aromatherapy, add your own mixtures either as dried for inside or a few oil drops. Mine are just / rice and beans, though. Tie shut after filling full but enough room to contour/bend sock. Heat in microwave 1-2 min max. Will stay hot/warm for quite awhile. Can be used multiple times and applied to wherever- in my case, back and neck/shoulders. Even my 89 year old Grammy loves it!