Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you miss food?

I have just started the journey. But one of my concerns is that I will miss food. My husband and I eat out a lot, travel a good bit, and he plans our trips around the restaurants we can go to! Obviously, I love to eat. Thoughts, anyone? Thank you.

I ate out every day at least once a day. When I didn't know what to do on Saturday and Sunday the answers was always, "go out to eat" I didn't think I would be able to stop but I did. The day (saturday)I started my liquid was tough because that's when I realized that I used it for something to do. It isn't as hard as I thought it would be. You may need to get your husband to stop eating out too and make sure he understands that asking you to go out eill be sabotaging you. I just always keep reminding myself this is temporary then I can restructure my life and do it right like a "normal" person and "normal" people DO eat out. Hope that helps.

I'm not living on a diet of Protein Shakes and tears . . . I eat pretty normally, just a low carb, low calorie, mindfully chosen version of normal. I can find something sleeve-friendly at any restaurant. Post a link to a really good restaurant you ate at recently and I'll show you the menu items I consider good choices. You may be making different choices with your meals but there is no reason not to eat and enjoy good food.< /p>

As far as eating I haven't had any problems, I can still enjoy all the foods and flavors as I did before surgery, just not nearly as much. But I will warn you, you will need to re-learn how to eat out, and I have found this part of the process frustrating. So what was your normal dinner out? For me, a glass of wine, then some bread, then a salad, then the main course, sometimes dessert. My first time out a few months after surgery, I had a glass of wine, skipped the bread, ate a small salad, then got about two or three forkfulls of food in my mouth before I began to feel very uncomfortable. That was way too much food and eaten way too quickly, and the sleeve let me know it. I have since learned, I still enjoy a glass of wine, I skip over appetizers and salads and get a small plate of something I want, heavy on the Protein, then take my time with it, when the sleeve says, "that's enough", I obey and put the rest in a doggie bag. You will find though, this is a minor inconveinience compared to dealing with weight related issues. Good luck!

I really haven't had any problems. I can eat pretty much whatever I like in moderation which is truly freeing! Can I eat whatever I want every day? No, of course not, but as long as I balance my week, and move my body regularly, I lost and now for over a year, maintain, just fine!. I tend to go light several days during the week so I have some party wiggle room on the weekends. Works for me!

Ummmm why would you miss food? Once you are out of the graduated diet you eat.... FOOD!

Seriously though I eat out I eat most things I did before surgery, just less of them. The few things I don't do at all (rice, most bread, white potatoes) nope don't miss them.

I find I really don't want to eat out as much. Now it seems like such a waste of money when I see how cheap I eat at home.

I have always loved to go out to eat and it's so strange to feel this way. I went and picked up some food to go at a japanese restaurant the other day and felt the same way. So expensive for the amount I can eat. Even if it is split up in more meals.

I'm almost 4 months out from my surgery. The thing I have realized lately, is that all the high calorie, empty carb junk I ate, for emotional reasons, was what got me too almost 300 pounds. I'm still in the process of retraining my thinking about food. Because I grew up in the fifties, and my mom made mostly meat and potatoes. I have spent most of my life eating potatoes and lots of bread. I thought I couldn't live without bread. But I'm finding I just don't want to have the extra carbs. I might still have a piece of toast once in a while, or a very small portion of potato or rice, but I just don't have enough room to have that and get all my Protein in vegetables in. As for eating out, I do that now occasionally. I think when I look around at my friends, I see that all our gatherings, ALL of our gatherings, revolve around food, and what someone is bringing to eat. It's the same for holidays, just like yesterday the 4th of July. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that it is a big transition. Since we are in our sixties, some of us have had a lifetime of poor eating habits. Mostly the foods I do miss, are the comfort foods. But I'm hoping to find some new comfort foods along the way. I only eat 3 meals a day, no Snacks in between. I hope I can continue to learn a healthier lifestyle. Sorry this post is so long :-)

I'm with mostly everyone else. No, I don't miss food because I seem to be able to have mostly what I want in moderation and do pretty strictly limit all the white foods...bread, Pasta, potatoes, etc. And I have found great choices on many restaurants 'light' menus. I don't miss foods, but I must admit I miss being able to eat a lot of favorite foods at a meal sometimes. Like, I love good beef steak sometimes and miss being able to eat more or it, but in the big picture it's a small sacrifice for feeling, looking and being soooo much better and healthier!